Max Mitchell... A Pleasant Surprise

jetsons

17 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Thanks for sharing. I always liked the Mitchell pick to build depth and groom starters, but his rather instant Plug&Play thus far has been really encouraging. His athleticism excels in this zone blocking scheme and can only get better with a pro off-season. 

hot flashes of Fabini, Young, McKenzie 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He's doing what is asked but it appears he is getting a lot of help from AVT. 

He needs it. He was a 4th round pick from RaginCajun ULouisiana- Lafayette. Hopefully him and AVT develop some nice cohesiveness on the right side as the season progresses.

his whole thing - and why he was a 4th and not a 1st rounder-  is that he needs to add weight & strength to sustain at the proNFL level. I expect AVT - a 1st round stud- to help Mitchell as should the TEs. It seems he has the athleticism, technique, and intelligence to (as I’m in the middle of Westy’s new book aptly titled:) Figure It Out. Right now, he’s the Least of the OLine issues surprisingly. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

He needs it. He was a 4th round pick from RaginCajun ULouisiana- Lafayette. Hopefully him and AVT develop some nice cohesiveness on the right side as the season progresses.

his whole thing - and why a 4th and nit a 1st rounder-  is that he needs to add weight &!strength to sustain at the proNFL level. I expect AVT - a 1st round stud- to help Mitchell as should the TEs. It seems he has the athleticism, technique, and intelligence to (as I’m in the middle of Westy’s new book aptly titled:) Figure It Out. Right now, he he’s the Least of the OLine issues surprisingly. 

The one play I thought he looked best was the first one where he peeled off the double to chip the LB. Without that chip block Carter is probably tackled near the LOS. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, he’s getting help from AVT, but he’s still grading out higher in pass protection than Top 10 picks like Ekwonu and Neal…whom a sizable portion of this smoothbrained fanbase would love to swap out Sauce for just because Douglas didn’t decide to load up the team with 4 starting caliber OT’s to begin the season…

Jets fans really deserve this silliness

There were a lot of us (me included) that would have been calling for JD head had he picked one of those OT in the first round. 

• Upvote 2

I've been more critical of JD than complimentary over the past few months, but this is one of his gems. A fourth-round project OT who was able to step in one day one and not look like Connor McDermott is the kind of value pick that helps teams to win. If he gets only slightly better and becomes a backup swing tackle/spot starter, this pick would still be a gem. The other possibility is that he never gives up his spot at RT which would make this pick one of JD's best. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Not like this place to get carried away by a rookie after 3 games.

He's not been terrible, which is better than expected. I'll see if he sustains it before calling him a stud. 

It is really no different than a portion of this board declaring a rookie a bust after 3 games, right?

max's play also speaks to the ability of the coaches to coach.  so far they've done good jobs with the new guys like avt and now mitchell.  and even fant was playing pretty well.  so there is some good hope for the oline once the injuries start getting sorted out and these guys can start to play as a team.