"Culture Changing" talk is complete BS.

kevinc855

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm tired of hearing about the "culture" of a building. Listen I get it, we are the most of die hard fans who talk Jets 24-7. We watch all these You Tube guys desperate for content or read a beat reporter looking for something to write. The stupidest sh*t I hear though is we should be happy because the "Culture" is changing? WTF. Did Mike McDaniel in Miami or Daboll in the Giants spend all offseason talking about culture changing? No they went to work, focused on football, brought in hard nose guys and set out to win football games. Thats what successful rookie HC's and GM's go out and do, create WINNING FOOTBALL TEAMS, not a place where "everyone loves football". 

Culture talk is ridiculous, over rated, and not relevant to Sundays. Gimme some mean SOB's who want to go win football games and you create a WINNING culture. All reports out of NE the last 20 years was about a team dedicated to winning and obsessed with X and Os. Was Bill Bellichick all positive vibes? The opposite and his teams won. Was Bill Cowher about culture? Go down the line and look at successful coaches and organizations, they didnt spend all day preaching culture, they obssesed over the field, over practices, over winning on Sunday. 

Save me the culture talk and go win some games. 

Kevin,

this post fails the pvo guideline that the team is following.

by the way - you are spot on

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm tired of hearing about the "culture" of a building. Listen I get it, we are the most of die hard fans who talk Jets 24-7. We watch all these You Tube guys desperate for content or read a beat reporter looking for something to write. The stupidest sh*t I hear though is we should be happy because the "Culture" is changing? WTF. Did Mike McDaniel in Miami or Daboll in the Giants spend all offseason talking about culture changing? No they went to work, focused on football, brought in hard nose guys and set out to win football games. Thats what successful rookie HC's and GM's go out and do, create WINNING FOOTBALL TEAMS, not a place where "everyone loves football". 

Culture talk is ridiculous, over rated, and not relevant to Sundays. Gimme some mean SOB's who want to go win football games and you create a WINNING culture. All reports out of NE the last 20 years was about a team dedicated to winning and obsessed with X and Os. Was Bill Bellichick all positive vibes? The opposite and his teams won. Was Bill Cowher about culture? Go down the line and look at successful coaches and organizations, they didnt spend all day preaching culture, they obssesed over the field, over practices, over winning on Sunday. 

Wait. I thought it was important to win games late in a season instead of tanking to improve draft position to establish a "winning culture?" FYI - the Dolphins won 19 games the past two seasons.  The Giants are a dumpster fire and just won their 2 games against bad teams.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Giants 2-1 record.  The performance of that OL on Monday night was terrible.  There are players that establish a winning culture as well as coaches.  Your NE and Pitt examples don't apply.  NE won because they lucked into one of the best QBs in NFL history.  Cowher coached in a different era.  

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Wait. I thought it was important to win games late in a season instead of tanking to improve draft position to establish a "winning culture?" FYI - the Dolphins won 19 games the past two seasons.  The Giants are a dumpster fire and just won their 2 games against bad teams.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Giants 2-1 record.  The performance of that OL on Monday night was terrible.  There are players that establish a winning culture as well as coaches.  Your NE and Pitt examples don't apply.  NE won because they lucked into one of the best QBs in NFL history.  Cowher coached in a different era.  

You are just ignoring some amazing defenses the team had or the creative play calling. I hate NE as much as anybody but come on.....

Well "culture" only gets you so far in this league and can get old if you don't have the talent...real game changers... Didn't we hear the same thing about Joe Judge early on...

I like what we're building here, to me it's really about:

- is this the right coaching staff

- is this the right QB

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you asked 100 of the most successful coaches of all time across all sports at all levels if they agreed with you on this, I’d bet every penny I have that nearly all of them, if not every last one, would disagree with you.

Probably so. On the other hand, none of them would condone the culture that Douglas and Saleh are creating. They literally don’t promote and prioritize winning games.

Douglas doesn’t set a goal of winning the division, making the playoffs or even a winning season. “Meaningful games in December”, completely ridiculous.

And Saleh says after blowout losses that he’s “proud of the players” and how they “fought”.

This is never going to work out. 

• Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

There are things coaches can do to establish a winning culture, like accountability, discipline, hard work, but over the long run it only can be sustained if it comes with winning. On the contrary, Rex's loosey goosey culture worked short term, but at some point it was a disaster

Pretty much this. 

Culture is not overrated. It's how you go about your every day practices and how you treat the players and staff. Not just what your mantra is. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Obviously this is 100% accurate 

Besides, the Jets’ litmus test for determining whether a guy “loves ball” is to ask them: “Do you love ball? You do, right?”

Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar are the narcissistic sort of me-first athletes.  Not the most team-first guys.  They make it harder on a manager in some ways because you have to adapt the team to them and not vice versa.

If they’re on your team though, who cares? They can play.  They score goals.

Did Dennis Rodman “love ball”?  Was he a Boy Scout, team captain, or great “locker room guy”?

He loved partying with Madonna and Carmen Electra in Vegas or whatever else he was doing.  

Didn’t matter.  Phil Jackson and MJ found a way to integrate him into the locker room and win rings.

Until proven otherwise, until they get a real HC like Parcells in here, the Jets are still a place where guys come for lack of better options.  It’s the best paycheck they can get and nothing more.

Feels like every big money FA who signs with the Jets just collects their signing bonus and paychecks then freaking doesn’t give a crap.  DJ Reed might be the lone exception.  

• Upvote 1

I do get where the op is going.

of course no one wants an org that is so called toxic or an environment that simply no one wants to come to but you can go way overboard as well.

Society wants to overthink everything and we can see it with the jets and saleh.

you can lift players up, eat your vitamins etc. but there has to be results at some point. 
I think we would agree we are simply not seeing that.

we constantly hear media use the identity catch phrase and it drives me nuts. 
you can find yourself getting so caught up in these phrases that you lose focus of the core of what you need to accomplish.

Culture is extremely important to turning a team around. Culture isn’t slogans and gimmicks, Parcells always brought in his hold the fort guys whenever he switched jobs to help introduce the culture that he wanted in his team. Culture is holding the coaches and players accountable to do their job.

So far all I have seen are slogans and t shirts but not a lot of accountability. It is time for a real culture change.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Trotter said:

we constantly hear media use the identity catch phrase and it drives me nuts. 
you can find yourself getting so caught up in these phrases that you lose focus of the core of what you need to accomplish.

Exactly, the beat reporters and you tube guys will say this stuff about "how things are changing" etc. No dudes, its about wins and losses. That is what is boils down to, 3 hours on Sundays. I want to hear about the 3 hours on Sunday. Not what t shirt or motto we are using on Wednesdays . 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I would disagree that culture talk is not important.  It is.  

HOWEVER....

The only way to change it is winning.  You can come in here all you want and say you want to change a culture, but the only way you do that is by winning.

CRAZY idea.  What if, instead of bringing in yet another first-timer who hasn't won anything, what if we brought a coach in who has won something in the past, and understood what it takes to go from losing to winning?  

C-R-A-Z-Y

7 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Culture is extremely important to turning a team around. Culture isn’t slogans and gimmicks, Parcells always brought in his hold the fort guys whenever he switched jobs to help introduce the culture that he wanted in his team. Culture is holding the coaches and players accountable to do their job.

So far all I have seen are slogans and t shirts but not a lot of accountability. It is time for a real culture change.

Another way to say it!  Absolutely.  

For instance, JFM should be benched this week.  Your dumb-ass penalty was THE tide-turner in that game.  Jets were off the field.  Instead, they fall behind by ten.  He should be benched and now has to earn his time back.

I don't think that will happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

actually you’re overrated - you need serious work on your posting game

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Another way to say it!  Absolutely.  

For instance, JFM should be benched this week.  Your dumb-ass penalty was THE tide-turner in that game.  Jets were off the field.  Instead, they fall behind by ten.  He should be benched and now has to earn his time back.

I don't think that will happen.

Because that would be stupid? So what about Corey Davis, him too for his penalty? 

Ron Middleton should be the (interim) HC.  He's a better gameday coach.  Smarter, more attack-minded.

What is Saleh bringing to the table exactly?

He's not involved in the offense at all. 

He doesn't call the defense, and hasn't staged any kind of intervention with Ulbrich despite the overwhelming evidence that Ulbrich is in over his head. 

He sits back and lets Boyer do his thing on ST.

He doesn't get in anybody's face when they make a mistake.  Never disciplines players.  Never benches anybody for poor performance or idiotic penalties.

Aside from his in-game responsibilities of challenging calls and deciding whether to punt on 4th down, they might as well replace him with a cardboard cutout of a guy wearing an "AGNB" shirt. 

He's a glorified cheerleader.

And as far as those in-game decisions, replacing him with some combination of a guy in a replay booth and a computer algorithm would be a major step forward.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you asked 100 of the most successful coaches of all time across all sports at all levels if they agreed with you on this, I’d bet every penny I have that nearly all of them, if not every last one, would disagree with you.

Good post.

I've followed the Premier League intermittently over the past decade, and while this year may be rough for them, the way Jurgen Klopp has changed the Liverpool culture over the past five years has been amazing to watch.

Wish we could find someone to do that here...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

LOL half the stuff you talk about here as equating to traits of WINNING coaches has to do with culture. Bringing in hard nosed guys, being dedicated, in some instances being obsessed with X's and O's, in some instances being obsessed with practice, etc. etc. Cowher and Belichick weren't culture guys?? Are you kidding me? 

Maybe Saleh and JD talk about it a bit too much. Maybe you don't like the positive attitude Saleh has. Or his 'all gas no brakes' catchphrase. Yes, I'll admit, when a team is losing those things don't look as good as when you are smoking teams on the field. But that doesn't mean this team did not need a 'culture' change from when Gase and Mac were here.  

8 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I disagree and I disagree strongly..

The Hedonic Treadmill: the observed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes

In essence, the Jets lose so much, the people involved here are used to that and comfortable. That's why you see a Franklin-Myers smiling after a 2 touchdown loss, or last year, the staff holding out Zach Wilson against an average Miami team because they blitz so much and being content with a 24-17 loss with Joe Flacco at the helm instead.

--

The bar needs to be raised all around. Epstein talked about this when he joined the Chicago Cubs. From the top, ownership should be focused on creating first-class facilities, the front office focused on bringing in first-class individuals and the staff focused on shared accountability. Everyone has 1 goal in mind - winning the championship.

One of the Cubs players said it best after they broke the curse "they created an organization where when you have a choice between right or wrong, you just end up choosing right, without rules for that"

--

Here we have an owner tweeting about the jersey colors every week, a GM and coach with many opposite philosophies, both making excuses. The bar is low and the priorities are not conducive to winning. 

I didn't even get into this as we are so far from a championship but exactly this. The bar is so low and if there is any hope for winning it all, the bar needs to raised all around to expect excellence. It starts at the top and that is when you first see a shift in 'culture'. And while you can have a miracle run without it, its absolutely necessary to win consistently.  

• Sympathy 1

Culture schmulture. You can never develope a winning culture drafting QBs like Sanchez Hackenberg Smith Darnold Wilson etc. while winning meanless games at the cost of missing on a guy like Trevor Lawrence.

Id be willing to bet that coaches like Parcells Landry Schula B.B.et al preach accountability above all else.

• Post of the Week 1