Joe Douglas made a statement at the beginning of the season: "I expect to be playing meaningful games in December." What are the ramifications if they don't?

Alka

The question is clear.  Joe Douglas made a commitment to the fans and to ownership when made his statement of expecting to be playing meaningful games in December of this year.

Well, if they are not playing meaningful games in December, the question will be:  "Will Joe Douglas hold the coaching staff accountable?"  If not, who will be held accountable?  Will there be any consequences if it doesn't come to pass?

If the Jets are not playing meaningful games come December, and if there are no consequences as a result, then as Jets fans, we can no longer believe anything else that comes out of Joe Douglas's mouth.  He made the statement, and the team needs to back him up.

If Joe Douglas doesn't hold anyone accountable, then the question is:  "Will Woody Johnson hold anyone accountable?"  

You can't make that statement after 2 consecutive losing sessions under your watch, and then in year #3, make that statement and then do nothing to back it up if it doesn't come true.

Joe didn't say they would be going to the playoffs.  I'm perfectly okay with that.  He said he expected meaningful games in December.  Not a high bar, but still, a commitment to the organization and to the fans.  He will need to back it up, if it comes to pass that the Jets are way, way out of it come December.  As far as I can see, he has no choice.  I'm sure he didn't envision the Jets being like 3-11 entering December.  I'm sure he felt he was making a "safe prediction."  I'm sure he felt that at the very least, he would be covering his behind by setting the bar at a low level.  Only Robert Saleh and the Jets can sink to an even lower level than the low bar that Joe Douglas set for the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

So let's say we're not playing meaningful games in December ... they fire the DC. Accountability box ticked.

Does everyone feel better? Next year will be better, right?

I know things don't look great right now, but I'm still taking it a week at a time rather than fast forwarding to the end of the season or the draft. Flacco went from zero to hero to zero these last three weeks, still plenty of football to play.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

An expectation is not a commitment.

They have already told you everyone (players and coaches) need to be evaluated for 3 years before determinations will be made.

It wont matter because the winning will start soon, but all these guys are here a minimum of 3 years.

I expect to have Ann Margaret knock on my door looking like she did 50 years ago.

so I shower, put on a suit and try to look the best I can.

that is commitment.

ok, Ann Margaret actually showing up is a dream

• Haha 2

Considering it'll be another couple weeks before we even really know what our roster will be for the bulk of the season I'm pretty willing to let this year ride and just see what happens.  It's safer than looking like an ass either way, being negative is gauche and positive is wanton disregard of history...

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Memo to JD - We are already not playing meaningful games and its only October 3. Do any of you guys really feel this team can be competitive watching this team for 3 weeks and seeing the rest of the league? I see maybe 1 or 2 more wins all year unless some type of act of (football) god happens. Same as last year, they are flat out terrible and now we learned today that "the best player in the 2019 draft" is out of shape and gasping for air. What an absolute mess and laughingstock.

• Upvote 1

What bothers me the most is that the offense can't score and they are always trailing and trying to come from behind!!!!

I believe there will be a coaching change or changes especially on defense if they don't improve. Look at the last three games the defense still looks bad especially the pass rush, its nonexistent!!!! I expected some type of pass rush that can cause a turnover, but it hasn't happened at all. Right now, they only have two interceptions for the year!!!! The defense is again at the bottom of the pack because they can't stop any team!!!

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It wont matter because the winning will start soon

You know, you have at times proven me wrong in the past, and I hope you prove me wrong in the future.

I just don't see it.  You do.  I hope you're right.

My reasoning:  With all the supposed pass rushing talent on this team, they have severely underperformed.  With all the offensive linemen talent on this team, they have grossly underperformed. to date.  The key to winning football begins in the trenches, and so far, I just don't see it.  

Please continue to prove me wrong.

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

If Zach isn't the real deal, this team is going to win 4 games this year. In that case, I'm really not sure how you can view the Joe Douglas era as anything other than a failed rebuild.

I agree with most of this, but I don't see it as a failed rebuild.  I see it as a failing rebuild.  They are off to a slow start.  If Zach sucks they will need a new QB, but I no longer see them as a talentless lump.  They actually have some pieces. 

I am more concerned that some of the young guys who looked solid last year have taken a step back.  I was never high on Bryce Hall, but that fall sure was precipitous.  Elijah Moore looked like a beast that would have trouble staying healthy.  Now he looks like he either has trouble getting open or being noticed by the QB.  If a new coach can come in and these guys don't suck there is no reason with a replacement level QB we cannot compete.  I find it hard to understand how the D can be so bad, but I do think it is the kind of D that gets on a roll and steamrolls people.  I honestly think the gulf  between good and what they are not is not that far.  Unfortunately, that does not make me any more confident that they will get there. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Well, if they are not playing meaningful games in December, the question will be:  "Will Joe Douglas hold the coaching staff accountable?"  If not, who will be held accountable?  Will there be any consequences if it doesn't come to pass?

Douglas fired the guy who brought him. I'm pretty sure he will fire Saleh no problem.

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree with most of this, but I don't see it as a failed rebuild.  I see it as a failing rebuild.  They are off to a slow start.  If Zach sucks they will need a new QB, but I no longer see them as a talentless lump.  They actually have some pieces. 

I am more concerned that some of the young guys who looked solid last year have taken a step back.  I was never high on Bryce Hall, but that fall sure was precipitous.  Elijah Moore looked like a beast that would have trouble staying healthy.  Now he looks like he either has trouble getting open or being noticed by the QB.  If a new coach can come in and these guys don't suck there is no reason with a replacement level QB we cannot compete.  I find it hard to understand how the D can be so bad, but I do think it is the kind of D that gets on a roll and steamrolls people.  I honestly think the gulf  between good and what they are not is not that far.  Unfortunately, that does not make me any more confident that they will get there. 

I appreciate the viewpoint, but JD has had plenty of time and resources to build this roster and the coaching staff to his desire. If all he can garner is a 4 win team at this stage, then I'm comfortable calling it a failed rebuild, and I don't particularly feel like he should get more time to cause more damage.

I like his approach. His execution to date (and in a hypothetical scenario where the team ends up with 4 wins and Zach fails this season) has been bad.

Many people gush over the talent, but frankly, I don't think it's as good as some claim. Nothing about the Jets roster and the talent on this team jumps out to me when compared with other teams I see playing on a weekly basis. It's better than it's been in recent years, but that doesn't automatically make it "good" or anything special. With the amount of first round picks and free agent dollars Douglas has had over multiple years, it should be clearly evident that something special is brewing. If you are being honest with yourself, it's objectively not to this point.

• Upvote 1