Jeff Ulbrich: Quinnen is “gasping for air”

Rhg1084

7 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Was taken2 picks before Devin White,  4 picks before Josh Allen,  6 picks before Ed Oliver,

9 picks before Rashan Gary,  10 picks before Christian Wilkins,  12 picks before Brian  Burns. Fine drafting

he wasn't in the same draft as Josh Allen.

you post about as bad as the Jets draft!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

People are gonna hate. They don’t like Ulbrich so they will edit and ignore all the accolades he threw at Williams before he made that statement. To me it was pretty obvious that he was stating that QW goes 100% 100% of the time. He gets gassed - I’m pretty sure every football player understands what he is saying. The implication actually if you want to create controversy is that the other players don’t do that.

His words arent what is important, fine - QW goes all out and gets gassed. Then you sit him for a play or 2 and he goes back in, you dont sit him for 30+% of the game when he is your best player.  

Its very difficult for me to watch this staff have poor defensive production along with statistical facts that show QW's performance does not fall off when he plays more and yet continue to play Nathan Shepherd over him.  Jeff Ulbrich will NEVER EVER get another DC job if this one fails and yet he just sticks his head in the sand, keeps doing the same stuff that had his unit ranked last in 2021 and is now last in 2022, its hard to watch as a fan.

And Saleh is equally to blame.  As a HC your hires are more important then anything else you do and Saleh has made a huge error with this guy.  San Francisco had success in 2020 despite their injuries when they switched their scheme and yet here we are again, and Saleh cannot see that the scheme isnt working.  

If we give up a TD on the first drive to Mitchell Trubisky, JD should go up to the box and fire Ulbrich on the spot.

Many have been critical of QW since he has been here including myself but I simply don't remember conditioning being an issue.

Maybe his rookie year he looked a bit out of shape but he was and still is a kid and growing.

Now all of a sudden despite Saleh stating earlier he is in the best shape of his career - he is gassed playing reduced snaps.

I was a supporter of Saleh - sorry can't be anymore. Everything this staff does and says is simply baffling to the point that you have to truly ask do they have any idea what they are doing. Most of us know that answer.

Time for another rinse/repeat. Here we go. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

His words arent what is important, fine - QW goes all out and gets gassed. Then you sit him for a play or 2 and he goes back in, you dont sit him for 30+% of the game when he is your best player.  

Its very difficult for me to watch this staff have poor defensive production along with statistical facts that show QW's performance does not fall off when he plays more and yet continue to play Nathan Shepherd over him.  Jeff Ulbrich will NEVER EVER get another DC job if this one fails and yet he just sticks his head in the sand, keeps doing the same stuff that had his unit ranked last in 2021 and is now last in 2022, its hard to watch as a fan.

And Saleh is equally to blame.  As a HC your hires are more important then anything else you do and Saleh has made a huge error with this guy.  San Francisco had success in 2020 despite their injuries when they switched their scheme and yet here we are again, and Saleh cannot see that the scheme isnt working.  

If we give up a TD on the first drive to Mitchell Trubisky, JD should go up to the box and fire Ulbrich on the spot.

I’m not defending Ulbrich when it comes to his defense. What I am defending is what Ulbrich said about QW. People are overreacting, taking what he said out of context meaning he lauds Williams effort and athleticism constantly. If QW and posters are so freaking sensitive that Ulbrich stated which we all observed on Sunday (and people commented he was out of shape etc) that QW gets winded and needs a break then so be it. At least Ulbrich put Williams’ need for breaks in context meaning he stated that no one busts his hump more than QW.

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Many have been critical of QW since he has been here including myself but I simply don't remember conditioning being an issue.

Maybe his rookie year he looked a bit out of shape but he was and still is a kid and growing.

Now all of a sudden despite Saleh stating earlier he is in the best shape of his career - he is gassed playing reduced snaps.

I was a supporter of Saleh - sorry can't be anymore. Everything this staff does and says is simply baffling to the point that you have to truly ask do they have any idea what they are doing. Most of us know that answer.

Time for another rinse/repeat. Here we go. 

The problem here is that with all these defensive breakdowns and miscommunications, the defensive coordinator is criticizing arguably the best defensive player on the team.  It’s a terrible optic and raises serious concerns if this guy is fit to lead a unit.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem here is that with all these defensive breakdowns and miscommunications, the defensive coordinator is criticizing arguably the best defensive player on the team.  It’s a terrible optic and raises serious concerns if this guy is fit to lead a unit.

Agree 100% but if the coach sits by and lets it occur - you have a wider problem. 

Just too many f ups with this staff both on and off the field and while they are all new - it is 20 games in.

Anything is possible - but it simply does not look favorable that they get it right.

Let's hope they do. 

Words can't express how stupid that comment is from Jeff Ulbrich.

Even IF its true, I have my doubts, I think he's just tying to rationalize his terrible rotation scheme, but if its true you just undermined the credibility of your own player AND informed the opponent of a potential competitive advantage. 

--

I hate this guy Ulbrich, really the worst DC I've seen here since the Kotite days, he's probably even worse when you think about it

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They’ve played with a backup QB.  Backups all over the OL.  It’s 3 games in.  3 games where we were underdogs.  Into a schedule where I bet you had us 0-3 under optimal conditions 

Yeah, this is exactly what a team making progress does:  Reel off a list of excuses.  

Not interested dude.  Especially when it comes to the defense.  I bet you can't come up with a single reasonable excuse for that side of the ball if you tried.

And its not the W-L record that I noted, either.  Its point differential.  I wasn't demanding wins in any of these 3 games.   I was demanding competitive play.  In 2 of the 3 games, we didn't get it.  In the win, we were down by double digits before a miracle happened.  That's not sustainable.  

6 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Words can't express how stupid that comment is from Jeff Ulbrich.

Even IF its true, I have my doubts, I think he's just tying to rationalize his terrible rotation scheme, but if its true you just undermined the credibility of your own player AND informed the opponent of a potential competitive advantage. 

--

I hate this guy Ulbrich, really the worst DC I've seen here since the Kotite days, he's probably even worse when you think about it

what horse and jockey is that?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, this is exactly what a team making progress does:  Reel off a list of excuses.  

Not interested dude.  Especially when it comes to the defense.  I bet you can't come up with a single reasonable excuse for that side of the ball if you tried.

Offense unable to maintain any consistent long drives. Defense on the field way too much.

That being said the defense cannot allow early leads. They do have a problem. My optimism is that it is coming from a system  that is too complex as opposed to a vanilla scheme. It’s breakdowns which can and should be fixed. 

we shall see

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Ulbrich doesnt strike me as a very sharp individual.  Like, he should be coaching weight lifting at High School level of intelligence.  Just not a very smart person.  Seems like it takes him a very long time to process, well, anything and then his words when combined together barely form a functional sentence.  I'm not sure if good brains are required to call a defense but seeing that he clearly doesnt think at a normal humans pace, could speak to why he has zero ability to adapt or make a change during a game and why last year when questioned about how terrible the D was last year, he said he needed the entire seasons tape to make an assessment of what was wrong during the offseason.

Folks, lets face it, this dude is just dumb as dog sh*t.

Kind of being a little hard little on….

the dogs? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Offense unable to maintain any consistent long drives. Defense on the field way too much.

That being said the defense cannot allow early leads. They do have a problem. My optimism is that it is coming from a system  that is too complex as opposed to a vanilla scheme. It’s breakdowns which can and should be fixed. 

we shall see

Actually I believe the scheme is overly simple. It relies on superior athletes outplaying their opponents.  Rex ran a far more complex system which relied quite a bit on deception and confusing the QB.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Actually I believe the scheme is overly simple. It relies on superior athletes outplaying their opponents.  Rex ran a far more complex system which relied quite a bit on deception and confusing the QB.  

I’m not sure I agree. I thought the same until Chase from the bengals commented that the Jets  threw a lot of different looks at them  plus Whitehead who has seen it all mentioned that it may be too complex

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Ulbrich Stormcloak gonna be the first coach to go - and rightfully so. 

Who knows what happens with Zach and the offense, and there are already 'built-in' excuses with the tackle injuries and Zach's injuries etc.

But on D? The talent is there... but we suck. And what, you suck with the media so bad that you threw our "best player" on D under the bus the week after he clearly freaked out on the sidelines? Great strategy, bro.

2 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I’m not sure I agree. I thought the same until Chase from the bengals commented that the Jets  threw a lot of different looks at them  plus Whitehead who has seen it all mentioned that it may be too complex

Perhaps we are both right?  The front seven could be pretty basic stuff while the secondary requires more complex reads.  I've read a number of articles claiming they are trying to run what Carroll and Quinn built at Seattle which largely was successful because of the personnel more so than the scheme (Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Wagner, etc.)

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I haven't thought to look at it this way - but does seem to be true and most definitely concerning.

I mean these old school coaches used to say things like this to motivate people - but those were always guys that have earned respect.   

Zach seems to say all the right things. Cj the same. Sauce, Quinnen, Michael Carter, Garett, JJ, ect. I cant remember something being said by a player under Saleh that made me cringe. However, Saleh's response to Rex, Saleh talking in circles about any injury, the recent communication issue excuses, Zach coming back from injury, now Ulbrick. I find it fascinating the 23 year olds seemingly have it more together when it comes to what to say to the media than our coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Saleh is lucky to have an incompetent DC. Gives him a free pass for the (likely to be) failed season. Ulbrich will be fired at season’s end, maybe in-season if something doesn’t change dramatically, and that will be the excuse for 2022. 

that is exactly how we will miss out on a real HC.