Tua head injury: bad look for NFL/Dolphins

Dcat

I’m not defending the nfl overall but their previous misdeeds led to using independent doctors on gameday. I’m just taking about this particular incident and saying he met the criteria they use. Whether football itself is dangerous and should be outlawed is another discussion 

• Upvote 1

maybe part of the problem is in their zeal to protect the qb the nfl has also made them more vulnerable.  the sack of tua was pretty violent.  the defensive player threw tua to the ground.  why?  well besides the sport is pretty violent, you don't get a sack if the qb throws the ball no matter how poorly so the defensive guy really has to make sure the qb can't get the ball off.  this goes back to the in the grasp rule and just about every qb tries to throw the ball even when wrapped up to avoid the sack.  they should call the sacks more closely and not let those qb's throw.  we saw flacco in the grasp a few times and manange to throw the ball and burrow did the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The NFL is a ******* joke, they dont give 2 sh*ts about these dudes health.  Tua, should not have put back in the game last week and he 100% shouldnt have been starting on a short week. 

Mike McDaniel is everyone's new darling and I'm sure he'll stay that way but this falls squarely on his shoulders.  Disgusting disregard for the safety of his QB. 

Mike mcdaniel is a joke.  Outside of beating a bad patriots team, hes been thouroughly outplay 3 weeks in a row.  His team should be 1-3.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

The roughing the passer penalty is so sh*t. It doesn't take away the hits that are actually hurting these guys. He was slammed to the ground. How is that legal?

It's football.  Aren't you supposed to slam people to the ground?  It's okay to do it to the RB, but not the QB?  I am sure they would have called it if it weren't for the play prior being that "diving at the legs" nonsense where a falling DL has to determine whether he should try to do his job while falling to the floor being blocked by a 340 lb man. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike mcdaniel is a joke.  Outside of beating a bad patriots team, hes been thouroughly outplay 3 weeks in a row.  His team should be 1-3.

Coming off a short week where the fins defense was gassed for 90 plays in the heat, on the road against the defending AFC champs, injuries to the starting QB and secondary, some bad turnovers….and yet it was still a 5 point game with under 2 minutes to go. Everything going against them and they still had a chance to win...

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's football.  Aren't you supposed to slam people to the ground?  It's okay to do it to the RB, but not the QB?  I am sure they would have called it if it weren't for the play prior being that "diving at the legs" nonsense where a falling DL has to determine whether he should try to do his job while falling to the floor being blocked by a 340 lb man. 

A RB expects to get hit and tackled by multiple players on every carry.  Usually, he has time to set himself before the hits.   While throwing, the QB is in a vulnerable position.  And if a defender is coming from his blind side, the QB can't prepare for the shot.   It's unexpected.   Again, this is the game we all loved.  But for better or worse that's not the world today.

I'm sorry, but not sure what you would want the guy to do there.  Not take Tua to the ground.  You guys are so reactionary around here it's crazy.

If Tua doesn't get hurt on that play and a flag is thrown we would be hearing about how ticky tac it was.  It was a pretty clean hit from what I can tell...

I'm all for protecting the QB - and stopping big hits - I thought the call on JFM was very justified last week.

No one wants to see anybody get hurt - least of all like this, it's very scary.  And sad...

And maybe I'm wrong here - but tell me what that defensive player should have done differently? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1. Wasn't a dirty play just like last week's shove on Tua was more bad luck

2. Tua cleared the evaluation last week to avoid concussion protocol and until proven otherwise doesn't seem anything was wrong

3. The fact that this happened right after last week's suspicion is what makes this look bad. 

4. If they find some sort of violation from last week's protocol that is going to be a huge deal with the player's union filing suit against the league.

• Upvote 2

We know a lot more about concussions today than we did 30 years ago, but maybe not as much as we could? Maybe he did pass whatever tests are available but still does have a concussion somehow. Maybe it's something else that is presenting as concussion symptoms?

Tua and his handlers should be very careful on this. It's not all on the Dolphins and/or the NFL.

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The nfl doesnt care about its players, it doesnt care about breast cancer, it doesnt care about minorities, it doesnt care about woman etc etc etc.  All of these causes they support are a dog and pony show.  The nfl is in it to make as much money as possible.  That is all they care about.

Deep down, most of us know this and are ok with it.  What is the alternative?  I am going to stop watching football?

This isn't  an NFL issue. This is a Miami Dolphins issue. The NFL has put rules in place for teams to follow in concussion  situations. If the teams don't  follow them, there is little the NFL can do during the process. I do believe the NFL has even put independent neurologist at games to check players but after that I think it is up to the team to provide the care.

It is actually hard to say if there was even a pre-existing issue. That tackle was horrific. Tua was whipped down to the ground and his head took nearly the full force of the blow. I have seen boxing matches where the fighter is struck and knocked out and his hands and arms look exactly like Tua's. This happens more than you think.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A RB expects to get hit and tackled by multiple players on every carry.  Usually, he has time to set himself before the hits.   While throwing, the QB is in a vulnerable position.  And if a defender is coming from his blind side, the QB can't prepare for the shot.   It's unexpected.   Again, this is the game we all loved.  But for better or worse that's not the world today.

It was a tackle.  Tua saw him coming.  Yes, he was whipped to the ground, but the guy didn't put his weight on him or anything.  Tua's head hit the turf.  It happens.  It's a violent game, but we can't start penalizing the result rather than the intent/conduct.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

It was an independent doctor who cleared him. They determined he didn’t have a concussion based on actual exam and cognitive testing. Yes it looks bad because he had a head injury this week but everything doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. 

FOR SALE!

New York Nyc GIF