Tua head injury: bad look for NFL/Dolphins

Dcat

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wasn’t Saleh the one declaring that Joe Flacco is still a starter in this league? Is that because the bald beast is so confident he decided to handicap himself to give the other teams a chance? Or is it simply he has no clue what the hell he’s doing? 

What's he supposed say , yeah we're stuck with this schlub journeyman statue for a QB - thanks Joe.  

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

What's he supposed say , yeah we're stuck with this schlub journeyman statue for a QB - thanks Joe.  

He doesn't have to say that and he doesn't have to play him.  He could be inactive as the third QB.  HC make those kind of decisions without having to say anything. 

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Flacco is part of the problem and Saleh starting him was a choice by the HC. 

Flacco is not a real QB anymore. He isn't as sharp as he was once. That said I don't  think Zach would have faired any better considering the holes he would be trying to dig out of because the other team rarely ever has to punt. The QB position is almost not relevant  on this team. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

He doesn't have to say that and he doesn't have to play him.  He could be inactive as the third QB.  HC make those kind of decisions without having to say anything. 

Was there really a difference between choosing Mike White or Joe Flacco. I know fans want to believe in White since he had that one fairy tale game last year , but being realistic at least Flacco in theory gave you the ability to audible and help stabilize the line. Its not like Saleh was benching Steve Young to play Flacco . 

• Upvote 1

This whole idea that " Tua passed the cognitive test" is absolute garbage you've been fed and regurgitated up by the Phins.  It is not ONLY the test that determines you're-entering the game, it's a combination of many other decisions.  The test is not the end all be all like many of you suspect.  The doctor administering the test must ALWAYS err on the side of extreme caution meaning even if a player passes the cognitive test, it is the responsibility of the doctor to exercise extreme caution in matters where a player exhibits any of the " No Go" symptoms" I.e. stumbling, loss of memory, etc. Fail on the Phins and the NFL.  Someone is in trouble for this.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wasn’t Saleh the one declaring that Joe Flacco is still a starter in this league? Is that because the bald beast is so confident he decided to handicap himself to give the other teams a chance? Or is it simply he has no clue what the hell he’s doing? 

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this post. Saleh is just not very good at this and he should have been playing Mike White. Even playing Streveler would have made more sense.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Flacco is not a real QB anymore. He isn't as sharp as he was once. That said I don't  think Zach would have faired any better considering the holes he would be trying to dig out of because the other team rarely ever has to punt. The QB position is almost not relevant  on this team. 

A good QB playing at a high level changes everything.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Was there really a difference between choosing Mike White or Joe Flacco. I know fans want to believe in White since he had that one fairy tale game last year , but being realistic at least Flacco in theory gave you the ability to audible and help stabilize the line. Its not like Saleh was benching Steve Young to play Flacco . 

Mike White showed he was able to run this O. We are still waiting for Flacco to show this without  Devine intervention.  

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, but not then to the media, to Joe Douglas when they brought him in as the back up. Or before they brought him back this year after he never won a game  he started for the Jets. Hey, I love Flacco, wanted to draft him out of Delaware, but I sorta find it reasonable their better at judging talent than I am. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I suspect Mike White has a pulse.  There's a difference between an NFL backup and a cadaver.  

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

What happened to all the , how can you bench Flacco if he's on a roll posts , I guess that was so week 2 . 

It was fun for 10 minutes.  I loved  Ali but at a certain point watching throw the jab late and getting his head bashed in wasn't a lot of fun. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Doesn't matter , both require testing and evaluations and neither of them can be diagnosed by simply watching on TV. 

Not true: we are going to have to agree to disagree.  There was concrete evidence of a significant head injury for all to see.  End of story.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

It was fun for 10 minutes.  I loved  Ali but at a certain point watching throw the jab late and getting his head bashed in wasn't a lot of fun. 

Hey I'm no Flacco fan by any means and am very glad Zach is back , but at no point did I think putting in White was going to make things better. 

2 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Not true: we are going to have to agree to disagree.  There was concrete evidence of a significant head injury for all to see.  End of story.  

I've seen people smash their heads into a windshield in a car accident and walk away w/o a concussion . Not all head trauma results in a concussion and sometimes symptoms are just short lived - like getting your bell rung .  I'm not arguing concern and caution shouldn't be applied but the absolutes people are using is a fallacy. 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Hey I'm no Flacco fan by any means and am very glad Zach is back , but at no point did I think putting in White was going to make things better. 

I'm not a fan of Flacco or White.  I think the backup QB situation has been badly handled since they drafted Zach.  

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I've seen people smash their heads into a windshield in a car accident and walk away w/o a concussion . Not all head trauma results in a concussion and sometimes symptoms are just short lived - like getting your bell rung .  I'm not arguing concern and caution shouldn't be applied but the absolutes people are using is a fallacy. 

Maybe you just couldn’t tell there was a concussion. Not all of them look the same.  Getting your bell wrung = concussion.  

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Maybe you just couldn’t tell there was a concussion. Not all of them look the same.  Getting your bell wrung = concussion.  

So what you are really saying is there's no real way as of now to clearly diagnose a concussion . So if that's the case anytime a player gets hit in the helmet they should be shelved since who knows . Might as well scrap the NFL, NHL and any other contact sport.  

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

So what you are really saying is there's no real way as of now to clearly diagnose a concussion . So if that's the case anytime a player gets hit in the helmet they should be shelved since who knows . Might as well scrap the NFL, NHL and any other contact sport.  

Its pretty clear Tua had a head injury.  Only an idiot couldn’t tell that.  

The fact we are having this type of convo these days is a good thing.  I remember playing high school ball and in practice we were in a tackling drill.  I went low on a guy just as he as making a move and his knee came up and hit me right in the head.  Classic ring your bell effect, I got up staggered around a bit was dizzy and felt sick....and I went right to the back of the line of the same drill to line up for the next rep.

Players coaches etc were just totally unaware of the potential consequences of such a thing.  It was suck it up and show you are tough.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Oh, and I’d be fine with all helmet to helmet players being removed from the game.  Maybe players would stop using their helmets as weapons.  

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Lets suppose we had real data that NFL football players die younger and have more cognitive disorders including CTE and early onset of serious cognetive disease.  Lets also suppose teams and team doctors have a financial incentive to ignore evidence of long term harm and get players back on the field who are at risk.   Should that impact regulation, liablilty and the rules?  Should there be criminal penalties?  

It's a very tough question but at a certain point as data and medical information brings transparency to these issues there might be a very good societal reason to scrap NFL football and some other high contact sports where head trauma is involved. 

I believe at some point they stopped feeding Christians to the Lions and having slaves fight to the death in front of cheering crowds.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Lets suppose we had real data that NFL football players die younger and have more cognitive disorders including CTE and early onset of serious cognetive disease.  Lets also suppose teams and team doctors have a financial incentive to ignore evidence of long term harm and get players back on the field who are at risk.   Should that impact regulation, liablilty and the rules?  Should there be criminal penalties?  

It's a very tough question but at a certain point as data and medical information brings transparency to these issues there might be a very good societal reason to scrap NFL football and some other high contact sports where head trauma is involved. 

I believe at some point they stopped feeding Christians to the Lions and having slaves fight to the death in areneas.  

But players and people make choices everyday about whether or not to take part in risky activities. Where does it end with regulation, smoking , drinking , poor food choices , working construction, listening to extremely loud music , hell I'd even contend you take a risk everyday getting on a highway. Once choices are taken away what is left ? 

5 hours ago, docdhc said:

It was an independent doctor who cleared him. They determined he didn’t have a concussion based on actual exam and cognitive testing. Yes it looks bad because he had a head injury this week but everything doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. 

C'mon man. Everyone knows he had a concussion. The team Dr. gives the final OK to go back in a game. He shook his head twice, was woozy, and buckled to the ground. It doesn't take an MD to see three textbook symptoms of a concussion. It's plain common sense. Coach and team should be fined and coach should be suspended for incredible carelessness regarding the health of their player. Also, all the players know what to say during a game if they are being evaluated - which is what a former player mentioned on TV today.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s bizarre. Everyone could see it what that injury was on Sunday. Guy couldn’t walk straight.

Some if not all of their coaching staff needs to be suspended and investigated. 

No offense but all the armchair doctors are off here.  Last week WAS a lower back injury from shock to the lower back, this week was a concussion.  

You can have trouble walking from things other than a shot to the head.

• Thumb Down 1