Jump to content

Here is what is different about QB Zach Wilson ~


Greenbloodblitz
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said this a few times before but this kid has a good head on his shoulders. Yes he looks like Marcy Darcy and he looks 12 years old.

We've all heard the term "coach speak" Sam Darnold did a lot of that. This guy actually thinks on his feet and has personality. Yes he has great physical tools he can rocket the ball, he can make off schedule plays, he can run around but there's more to it than that.

I've also mentioned that I used to train young men in my line of work and some guys can just pick things up and put them down LOL. However you can clearly see other guys that have management potential. He definitely has that.

Yes the best ability is availability we've all heard that. However some guys only show up to load trucks or whatever line of work you're in. My old Boss used to call me into his office before he went on vacation and he would call me a few times during the week to ask me how things were going? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Zach seems to have a maturity and intelligence beyond his years. I'm rooting for him and I really hope it pans out.

Did you ever notice that in every interview he's in the moment and answering questions and cracking jokes and it's not just the same old rhetoric? I like that about this kid~

Bro this is a blood sport 

we heard this same “good kid” crap with Darnit

I just want a good QB, save me the Boy Scout fluff 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Personality and mental makeup are not a issue for this kid. Frankly, it wasn't for sam either. Only question is can he develop into a legit FQB? This isn't a personality contest we're running here (or is it?).

His “IDGAF” mental side will be needed by the curse breaker.  NY Jets QB is tougher than other places by a mile.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, maury77 said:

I've never understood the infatuation some of you have with Wilson, but I hope he shows me something this season to make me a believer. He seems like a guy that gets easily frazzled IMO. 

And I’ve never understood why you don’t. Really.  Now we get to wait and see who is right lol. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said this a few times before but this kid has a good head on his shoulders. Yes he looks like Marcy Darcy and he looks 12 years old.

We've all heard the term "coach speak" Sam Darnold did a lot of that. This guy actually thinks on his feet and has personality. Yes he has great physical tools he can rocket the ball, he can make off schedule plays, he can run around but there's more to it than that.

I've also mentioned that I used to train young men in my line of work and some guys can just pick things up and put them down LOL. However you can clearly see other guys that have management potential. He definitely has that.

Yes the best ability is availability we've all heard that. However some guys only show up to load trucks or whatever line of work you're in. My old Boss used to call me into his office before he went on vacation and he would call me a few times during the week to ask me how things were going? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Zach seems to have a maturity and intelligence beyond his years. I'm rooting for him and I really hope it pans out.

Did you ever notice that in every interview he's in the moment and answering questions and cracking jokes and it's not just the same old rhetoric? I like that about this kid~

Not saying no to any of this, and i would add that he has "supreme talent" as a passer.

BUT

none of this means anything if he can't limit the mistakes, and consistency is the key for all elite QB's.

For me its a 14 game eval of what he is and can be....lets see end of year if above means anything.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My concern with Zach is that he's in preseason mode, while everyone else is battle ready. He'll be getting his reps in real time, and that doesn't seem like a recipe for success in his first game back. It will take him a game or two to get in synch. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said this a few times before but this kid has a good head on his shoulders

But can he play the QB position at the NFL level to good effect ??? I say no.

He has a very good arm and he is mobile.  There are also flaws that add up to "bust"

1. Concerning but not super critical is his release point.  It is very low compared to other NFL QB's  NOT HIS HEIGTH.  His release point.

2. He is not making a pre-snap read and beginning to throw the ball in his mind to the right places before the ball gets into his hands.  This is critical. I can tell from the way he moves and looks post snap that he is trying to reason thigs out as the play develops without first having a pre-snap plan in mind.  The end result is he takes too long to see the field, make up his mind and then throw the ball.  He aims the ball more than he anticipates and times things.  Those are not the methods of a successful NFL QB.  Those are the methods of a schoolyard player or college player that is not facing a NFL level defense.  Throughout the entire season last year, I saw no change in the way he was playing.  

He is not going to work out unless he starts throwing the ball in his mind before the ball gets into his hands.  A pro QB has to be a razor.  That has much more to do with the thought/reasoning process than it does with footwork and or arm strength.

3. He needlessly endangers himself.  The "college" or "schoolyard" methods keeps him holding the ball and exposed.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one of the most complicated things about evaluating quarterback play is that it takes a specific kind of intelligence - namely the ability to make split-second decisions correctly and consistently. There are really smart dudes out there who can probably do amazing stuff on the whiteboard, but they’ll consistently make a mistake or pause an extra second with a pass rush in their face.

I think the whiteboard and overall intelligence stuff is important, but you see the guys who can’t overcome that split second decision making and there are a lot of them. 

For Wilson it was new scheme, new level, below average skill position talent, average at best offensive line last year - after he played behind an incredible offensive line at BYU.

We’ll see how he moves forward with some easy answers (ie Garrett Wilson in the slot, two good pass catching backs, better tight end play) this year. I genuinely don’t think we know how he can handle that stuff, he hasn’t shown that he can. Either he takes a big step forward this year or teams blitz him into oblivion if he doesn’t show he can beat it. Pittsburgh will be a good test.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

But can he play the QB position at the NFL level to good effect ??? I say no.

He has a very good arm and he is mobile.  There are also flaws that add up to "bust"

1. Concerning but not super critical is his release point.  It is very low compared to other NFL QB's  NOT HIS HEIGTH.  His release point.

2. He is not making a pre-snap read and beginning to throw the ball in his mind to the right places before the ball gets into his hands.  This is critical. I can tell from the way he moves and looks post snap that he is trying to reason thigs out as the play develops without first having a pre-snap plan in mind.  The end result is he takes too long to see the field, make up his mind and then throw the ball.  He aims the ball more than he anticipates and times things.  Those are not the methods of a successful NFL QB.  Those are the methods of a schoolyard player or college player that is not facing a NFL level defense.  Throughout the entire season last year, I saw no change in the way he was playing.  

He is not going to work out unless he starts throwing the ball in his mind before the ball gets into his hands.  A pro QB has to be a razor.  That has much more to do with the thought/reasoning process than it does with footwork and or arm strength.

3. He needlessly endangers himself.  The "college" or "schoolyard" methods keeps him holding the ball and exposed.  

No idea if any of this is correct but it sounds good lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said this a few times before but this kid has a good head on his shoulders. Yes he looks like Marcy Darcy and he looks 12 years old.

We've all heard the term "coach speak" Sam Darnold did a lot of that. This guy actually thinks on his feet and has personality. Yes he has great physical tools he can rocket the ball, he can make off schedule plays, he can run around but there's more to it than that.

I've also mentioned that I used to train young men in my line of work and some guys can just pick things up and put them down LOL. However you can clearly see other guys that have management potential. He definitely has that.

Yes the best ability is availability we've all heard that. However some guys only show up to load trucks or whatever line of work you're in. My old Boss used to call me into his office before he went on vacation and he would call me a few times during the week to ask me how things were going? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Zach seems to have a maturity and intelligence beyond his years. I'm rooting for him and I really hope it pans out.

Did you ever notice that in every interview he's in the moment and answering questions and cracking jokes and it's not just the same old rhetoric? I like that about this kid~

Great. Let's  elevate Zach to HC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's look at all of these:

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

2. He is not making a pre-snap read and beginning to throw the ball in his mind to the right places before the ball gets into his hands.  This is critical. I can tell from the way he moves and looks post snap that he is trying to reason thigs out as the play develops without first having a pre-snap plan in mind.  The end result is he takes too long to see the field, make up his mind and then throw the ball. 

Pre-snap reads can be learned.  This is surely something that can be learned in the classroom and will just need playing time.  This will surely come.  This doesn't require some special intelligence people are talking about around here.  Just learning your offense, their defense and then having ample time to analyze the defense.  This can and will get better every week.

25 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

He aims the ball more than he anticipates and times things.  Those are not the methods of a successful NFL QB.  Those are the methods of a schoolyard player or college player that is not facing a NFL level defense.  Throughout the entire season last year, I saw no change in the way he was playing.  

I have to be honest here - when you say things like the bolded it becomes hard to take your analysis seriously.  I want to....but it becomes difficult.  There was clear and obvious improvements - in precisely the area's your referencing.  His poise, decision making and accuracy were far superior to what they were earlier in the season.

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

3. He needlessly endangers himself.  The "college" or "schoolyard" methods keeps him holding the ball and exposed.

As mentioned above, he played much smarter, didn't take chances with himself or the football, he really began playing within the offense as opposed to trying to be the offense.  It was an obvious change.  A recognition of the mistakes he was making and compensated to fix them.  

That's what I think most are missing - it's not just random improvements - he improved in the area where he struggled the most.  That means - he learned from his mistakes, took coaching and work to fix those issues.  Should be a good sign to any fan.

 

29 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

1. Concerning but not super critical is his release point.  It is very low compared to other NFL QB's  NOT HIS HEIGTH.  His release point.

 

Stop.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've also mentioned that I used to train young men in my line of work and some guys can just pick things up and put them down LOL. However you can clearly see other guys that have management potential. He definitely has that.

Yes the best ability is availability we've all heard that. However some guys only show up to load trucks or whatever line of work you're in. My old Boss used to call me into his office before he went on vacation and he would call me a few times during the week to ask me how things were going? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

If the whole football ops thing hadn’t worked out, I could totally see Joe Douglas managing a Dairy Queen, paper hat and all.

Zach Wilson doesn’t have a proletariat bone in his body.  He’s Utah royalty. 

Can’t picture him working any kind of “real” job.

If you’re recommending him for management, you saying he should be promoted to player / coach?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's look at all of these:

Pre-snap reads can be learned.  This is surely something that can be learned in the classroom and will just need playing time.  This will surely come.  This doesn't require some special intelligence people are talking about around here.  Just learning your offense, their defense and then having ample time to analyze the defense.  This can and will get better every week.

I have to be honest here - when you say things like the bolded it becomes hard to take your analysis seriously.  I want to....but it becomes difficult.  There was clear and obvious improvements - in precisely the area's your referencing.  His poise, decision making and accuracy were far superior to what they were earlier in the season.

His stats improved for reasons other than how he plays.

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As mentioned above, he played much smarter, didn't take chances with himself or the football, he really began playing within the offense as opposed to trying to be the offense.  It was an obvious change.  A recognition of the mistakes he was making and compensated to fix them.  

Right. That is why he busted his ass in a preseason game.

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's what I think most are missing - it's not just random improvements - he improved in the area where he struggled the most.  That means - he learned from his mistakes, took coaching and work to fix those issues.  Should be a good sign to any fan.

 

Stop.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...