Maybe we're better than I thought?

PorP

I was going through the stats from the fish game last night and then started looking at ours...

They weren't terribly different from the fish who just beat the bills...

The 2 stats that did jump out at me were sacks and fumbles.... we allowed 3 more sacks and had 2 fumbles Miami didn't which all equaled a field goal more.... not even considering the costly jfm/CD penalties...

We got some crap to clean up but maybe our  foundation is better than I thought. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PorP said:

I was going through the stats from the fish game last night and then started looking at ours...

The 2 stats that did jump out at me were sacks and fumbles.... we allowed 3 more sacks and had 2 fumbles Miami didn't which all equaled a field goal more.... not even considering the costly jfm/CD penalties...

We got some crap to clean up but maybe our  foundation is better than I thought. 

Maybe - but they would have to overcome what certainly looks like top 5 all time worst coaching staffs in the league. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Maybe - but they would have to overcome what certainly looks like top 5 all time worst coaching staffs in the league. 

I'll save my judgement for a few more weeks... things kinda blew up this week and I want too see how Saleh handles that. Specifically he gave something measurable in a presser regard communication/ simplification in the secondary.... that we can look for. 

I am hopefully but also admit it currently looks bad from our point of view. 

• Upvote 4

Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, and a few really bad broken plays have been the story of this team.  I can see the difference in talent almost everywhere except perhaps the DL, which really surprises me.  I am NOT seeing the talent there yet.  

But this team is more about mental mistakes in most cases.  If they can somehow figure it out, and start winning the turnover battles, and stop giving opposing WRs massive gains on third down passes, they can win games against almost anyone.  It's a very big *if* though...

[EDIT: I checked and here is the biggest issue with this team this year.  Interesting who is right behind us though.]

image.png

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, and a few really bad broken plays have been the story of this team.  I can see the difference in talent almost everywhere except perhaps the DL, which really surprises me.  I am NOT seeing the talent there yet.  

But this team is more about mental mistakes in most cases.  If they can somehow figure it out, and start winning the turnover battles, and stop giving opposing WRs massive gains on third down passes, they can win games against almost anyone.  It's a very big *if* though...

[EDIT: I checked and here is the biggest issue with this team this year.  Interesting who is right behind us though.]

image.png

I'm thinking it's more simple than that... maybe I'm wrong but...

I think everything else the same... the jfm/CD penalties and 2 strip sacks cleaned up... the Bengals game looks different for us.

Keep the INTs and the couple explosives in play and I still think that game is different...

• Upvote 1

Let’s see how the next 3 weeks play out. I think our offense can be better especially with how good Garrett Wilson has been playing.

Our defense should be better. The miscommunications are killing us.

Still don’t think this is anything more than a 6 or 7 win team. But the coaches and Zach need to step up or we might not even hit those win totals.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Thursday night games for road teams are generally outliers.   Dolphins game on Sunday was also ridiculously hot and their D was on the field all game.  

So fair to point out the single game.  look at jets yards allowed and rushing allowed versus all teams we played... our defense is doing better than they get credit for

Look at stats from brown versus panthers and Pitt

Look at Ravens versus fish and rats

The cincy fish game is just one example of a common theme.  

We are not performing that differently from other teams with the exception of the self inflicted crap

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PorP said:

So fair to point out the single game.  look at jets yards allowed and rushing allowed versus all teams we played... our defense is doing better than they get credit for

Look at stats from brown versus panthers and Pitt

Look at Ravens versus fish and rats

The cincy fish game is just one example of a common theme.  

We are not performing that differently from other teams with the exception of the self inflicted crap

Agreed the coaching gap is killing us.  We have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

I really thought the browns game was the mental exorcism that this team needed, but the we followed it up with the cinci game. After Zach, I’m out of ideas 

I didn't really buy into the exorcism thing.  I always thought Flacco svcked.  We should be 0-3 right now but we had a miracle go in our favor (though we'll see if we're battling for draft position later in the year if that was a fortunate event).

If Zach isn't great, I think our best hope would be for our OL to solidify as the year progresses.  Personally, I think it will.   And I think our RBs could become a real factor if so.  And that will help out ZW.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Did you look at defensive stats like points allowed? 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

image.png

This chart encapsulates why father starts cursing Joe Nolan every time he hears "It's thiiiiiiird down....." over the PA.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  know what this is. In the first 3 games the Fins have yielded 64 points. The Jets have yielded 82. 

No. Your question was about points allowed,  so for the Ravens. We allowed 24, fish allowed 37, rats allowed 38.

I corrected the Browns line and went to put a note in that post but got a call while doing it...

10 minutes ago, PorP said:

No. Your question was about points allowed,  so for the Ravens. We allowed 24, fish allowed 37, rats allowed 38.

I corrected the Browns line and went to put a note in that post but got a call while doing it...

What I was implying is that overall, the Fins have given up less points in 3 games. I know they played the Pats and that skews it but I think the Pats would have hung a 30 burger on us. We always suck against them. 

2 hours ago, PorP said:

Laurie Hernandez Latina GIF by Latinx Heritage

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What I was implying is that overall, the Fins have given up less points in 3 games. I know they played the Pats and that skews it but I think the Pats would have hung a 30 burger on us. We always suck against them. 

We have not played the fish and my post was all about teams we have played and how those teams have faired in other games.

I'm not trying to project outcomes or guess games we haven't played

Until proven otherwise...we are not a good team.

Our OL stinks -- injuries a big part to blame but we are going no interior push for the running game

Our D stinks - same issues as always -- our highly touted DL doesn't get pressure, the middle of the field is open for pitch and catch from the other team's passing game

Even if Zack Wilson's return helps spark an offensive turnaround you aren't going to win many games if you can't at least establish the run and stop people on D.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

image.png

Dline also initially affected and needs to adjust to the loss of Foley, since even though everyone labels someone like him a run stuffer, an inside anchor of the Dline that he was also affects the pass rush being easier for all other members of the Dline.

I would expect the miscommunications on the D to improve. I would expect if/when Brown comes back the OL will stabilize to be slightly below average. The rest, who knows.

On the negative side, there are a lot of mistakes that become big plays for the other team. Also, the O likes to give the ball away too much.

On the positives - bad teams find a way to lose the Cleveland game (certainly Cleveland did); while it took a miracle, the Jets won and made the miracle happen - good teams find a way to win (or teams with the potential to be good).

If this team is going to build this year both the O and the D need to get better and quickly.

one game at a time.  the jets arelike everyone else.  they read the papers and get full of themselves.  after a win like at cleveland they were probably thinking pretty highly of them selves.  and i'm guessing the dline thought they were going to have any easy time of getting to burrow.  it didn't happen.  the game wasn't all bad but it sure emphacised the fact that they need to play hard each and every game and play smart.  they need to not turn the ball over and commit stupid penalties.  it's still a game of inches and that means each and every play is significant and can tilt the game one way or the other.  and this goes for the coaches too.

3 hours ago, PorP said:

We’re definitely a more talented team than the previous years.  Jets still play like losers and everyone’s just tired of it.