Lets go back to 2002 - Almost 20 years to the day

Joe W. Namath

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Remember in 2002, in weeks 2, 3 and 4, the Jets were outscored 102-13.  We were sitting at 1-3, looked like the worst team in the league.  Defense was absolutely atrocious.  Here was that 3 games stretch:

Week 2 September 15 vs  New England Patriots Lost 44–7

Week 3 September 22 at Miami Dolphins Lost  30–3

Week 4 September 29 at Jacksonville Jaguars Lost 28–3

Old man Vinny was benched for Chad and we ended up winning the division that year.  QB gave both sides of the ball a spark.

Maybe, just maybe, Zach comes in, plays well and the whole team takes off.  Hot qb play can transform the defense too.  It did in 2002.

Could history repeat itself?

Do you know what the major difference was back in 2002?  The year before, in 2001, that Jets team was 10-6.  

Do you know what our record was last year?  4-13.  How about the year before that?

This team has yet to understand or prove that they are capable of winning football games on a consistent basis.  The team that took the field in 2002 understood how to win, because they proved it the year before.

This team will not duplicate the team from 2002.  Very simple.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

Do you know what the major difference was back in 2002?  The year before, in 2001, that Jets team was 10-6.  

Do you know what our record was last year?  4-13.  How about the year before that?

This team has yet to understand or prove that they are capable of winning football games on a consistent basis.  The team that took the field in 2002 understood how to win, because they proved it the year before.

This team will not duplicate the team from 2002.  Very simple.

True.

The other difference is Herm vs Saleh.

Now I know Herm gets alot of crap on here and I am not going down that road - but so far comparing the two - Herm is Lombardi compared to what we have right now.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Eeeemmm- not sure I agree. Yes the results and stats, record show otherwise. Herm was a great motivator but certainly not a great game day coach.

They even had to hire a separate guy to manage the clock for him. His team also never made in game adjustments. If the game plan worked that day- everything was fine. When it wasn’t - it was game over.

Remember it well. 

I think this team has a much tougher schedule than that team had and that team had some success the year before, so it's not apples to apples. 

But I think it is fair to continually remember how early it still is in this young season. What we can say is, to date, the team has been disappointing. Now, they have been playing with their backup QB, so maybe we can see things start to look better this week. 

Always hard for me to be optimistic headed into Pitt. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Remember in 2002, in weeks 2, 3 and 4, the Jets were outscored 102-13.  We were sitting at 1-3, looked like the worst team in the league.  Defense was absolutely atrocious.  Here was that 3 games stretch:

Old man Vinny was benched for Chad and we ended up winning the division that year.  QB gave both sides of the ball a spark.

Maybe, just maybe, Zach comes in, plays well and the whole team takes off.  Hot qb play can transform the defense too.  It did in 2002.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2002_roster.htm

Possibly one of the best rosters this team ever had. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

exactly. That roster had hall of famers in Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and possibly John Abraham

This roster doesnt have pro bowlers let alone future hall of famers. There's nothing really in common at all other than they both sucked to start the season 

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What also struck me about that roster is 19 guys who started 15 or 16 games.  Including the entire defense.  The other 3 regular starters all started 12 or more: Pennington, Richie Anderson and JP Machado (who replaced Dave Szott for most of the season after he got hurt in camp).

Would be nice to have a team with that kind of health and stability.  We seemingly lose starters every week now.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

What also struck me about that roster is 19 guys who started 15 or 16 games.  Including the entire defense.  The other 3 regular starters all started 12 or more: Pennington, Richie Anderson and Julio Machado (who replaced Dave Szott for most of the season after he got hurt in camp).

Would be nice to have a team with that kind of health and stability.  We seemingly lose starters every week now.

Back when men were men and the coaches were allowed to have plenty of contact in practice to get them ready for the long season

now they have 2 days of mini camp & OTAs where they play just video games or something and they wonder why there are so many injuries 

Ahh yes. My first year as a die hard Jets fan. The year before I was still rooting for both NY teams but then my uncle took me to the first home game after 9/11 vs MIA. My first Jets game live. They were putrid in the 1st half but came out guns blazing in the 2nd to comeback and win with a INT at the last seconds on the goal line. My team ever since.

Yeah it's possible if Zach comes in and plays the way Chad did vs KC. From the start of that game there was a different energy around the position and the whole team. Hopefully Zach can pull it off and show us he's the guy. If he's just missing easy passes all game long and goes 12-30 for 150yds or whatever and looks underwhelming than I think we are in trouble.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, Gibby said:

Eeeemmm- not sure I agree. Yes the results and stats, record show otherwise. Herm was a great motivator but certainly not a great game day coach.

They even had to hire a separate guy to manage the clock for him. His team also never made in game adjustments. If the game plan worked that day- everything was fine. When it wasn’t - it was game over.

My one big complaint about Herm was that he spoke about "you play to win the game", but he many times in big situations played not to lose the game.

Against the Steelers in the playoffs, when the Jets were at like the 30 yard line, he would run up the middle for 0 to1 yard multiple times, hoping to get the field goal to win the game.  The field goal wasn't made at least on 2 occasions in that game, and we lost.  Herm never tried to throw the ball or mix it up to try to score a TD, or to open up the playbook at all to move the ball closer for the field goal kicker.  He played not to lose the game, and the Jets ultimately lost the game.  I blame Herm for that crucial loss.  

• Upvote 1

That was one of the worst three game stretches on a team that was supposed to be good.  Vinny was always a poor fit in the Hackett offense and our secondary had 3 new starters.  But once Chad came in and the defense gelled it was a heck of a team.

• Upvote 2

On 9/30/2022 at 9:36 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

No, need competent coaching to achieve that. Zach could very well be capable but won’t find out this year. Until Saleh learns to utilize his guys to their strength and exploit the other teams weaknesses the defense will be a weakness. Instead he has the cookbook that worked one season in San Fran with different players and lacks the balls or creativity to stray from it. Cool thread though, I apologize for earlier. 

• Upvote 1