Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams

JetNation

55 minutes ago, nickfoshizal said:

My bar for this coaching staff was “be unquestionably better than Adam gase, and actually develop players.” I absolutely cannot fathom how this team moved in the opposite direction, while actually adding talent for the first time in a decade plus. This is akin to watching Jose mourinho coach ******* Middlesbrough or some sh*t. Old outdated system that doesn’t work, yet the players get all the blame pushed onto them. This is the most talented team we’ve had in years, ******* make them better players or gtfo.

They’ve done an ok job developing players. Look at Mitchell and the other 1st and 2nd year players. Guys are reaching their potential or getting better.

The problem is that the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts. This coaching staff, especially on defense, is severely underperforming. I’m not sure how they’re doing it but they’re taking a defense with middle of the pack talent and putting out a horrendous defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another example of Coach Saleh letting the media and Jet fans know that the entire organization from owner, coaches and players cant stand you.

Again when this turns around shortly, receipts will be taken.

Let’s say that happens

What exactly is meant by receipts? Will the media members be banned from covering the team?

will the fans who question him as a coach no longer be allowed to be fans?

yes the above is ridiculous but so is him making the statement.

tell me - what is the consequence?

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Saleh is correct.  Statement was completely taken out of context here and with the media.  No problem with legitimate criticism, but this is mostly dumb politics BS that it seems we've all become okay with manipulating anything we can find to put a negative spin on it.  

taken out of context? 

Ulbrich gives the context himself. How is it taken out of context? He said what he said. Just because he said nice things before that doesn't mean things were taken out of context.

these guys better learn how to deal with the media. Clapping back with receipts and bush league crap isn't going to do them any favors.

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Saleh is correct.  Statement was completely taken out of context here and with the media.  No problem with legitimate criticism, but this is mostly dumb politics BS that it seems we've all become okay with manipulating anything we can find to put a negative spin on it.  

You're not wrong, but I'm not sure you're on point either.  It's really not about the video, or what was said, or politely offering legitimate criticism.  It's about creating pain to force a change because fans are sick of the same-o same-o with this crew.  Instead of throwing out a bunch of BS slogans and cliches from the podium and fighting with the reporters and the fans, these coaches should all STFU and go scheme some wins...

• Post of the Week 2

55 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m no fan of Saleh or his DC, but this is all pretty stupid. You don’t like Saleh and his CS right now, so you’re chomping at the bit to bitch about any perceived missteps they make. Valid or not, who cares… let’s pile on!

A quote taken out of context yesterday becomes a tempest in a teapot here, only to be exacerbated by taking the HCs response to it today out of context also.

You guys are like a bunch of screaming old ladies grabbing your pitchforks and forming a mob…. You’re making a lot out of noise over nothing here. 

Man up, and shut up. 

Who you CALLIN AN OLD LADY!!!!

ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted.

But of course, I now see the truthfulness of your statements

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

taken out of context? 

Ulbrich gives the context himself. How is it taken out of context? He said what he said. Just because he said nice things before that doesn't mean things were taken out of context.

these guys better learn how to deal with the media. Clapping back with receipts and bush league crap isn't going to do them any favors.

Its not these guys that need to learn how to deal with the media , its the fans who cling to every word and soundbite w/o realizing they're just trolling you to sell clicks and stories - their jobs depend on it. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its not these guys that need to learn how to deal with the media , its the fans who cling to every word and soundbite w/o realizing they're just trolling you to sell clicks and stories - their jobs depend on it. 

They can't control the fans or the media. They can control what they say. 

Without winning, amateur hour w/the media is going to cause chaos and sink the ship faster.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

They’ve done an ok job developing players. Look at Mitchell and the other 1st and 2nd year players. Guys are reaching their potential or getting better.

The problem is that the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts. This coaching staff, especially on defense, is severely underperforming. I’m not sure how they’re doing it but they’re taking a defense with middle of the pack talent and putting out a horrendous defense. 

When a rookie can play from day 1, they were “developed”. 

Anyway, it’s less about development and more about scheme. Nothing in our defensive scheme makes any sense. That’s why you can change out players and results are the same.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They can't control the fans or the media. They can control what they say.

The coaches can't control how their words are twisted by the media to feed a sh*tstorm. Its been years since the media's job was to report actual stories  doubly so in large markets with competition .  They are smart and will use whatever means possible to create divisiveness because that's what is keeping them relevant. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

The coaches can't control how their words are twisted by the media to feed a sh*tstorm. Its been years since the media's job was to report actual stories  doubly so in large markets with competition .  They are smart and will use whatever means possible to create divisiveness because that's what is keeping them relevant. 

They're throwing gasoline on a fire with these type of comments. You can blame the media and the fans but again, the coaches can control what they say.

The defense thing isn't correct,  jets are ranked 15th in total yards allowed,  15th in passing yards allowed and 13th against the run.  All that while facing the #1 run offense and #2 pass offense. 

We are 25th in sacks and pass rush is a problem but the secondary isn't bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

They're throwing gasoline on a fire with these type of comments. You can blame the media and the fans but again, the coaches can control what they say.

Short of going douchebag Belicheck and saying nothing , they can't . Once the media senses fans will eat it up they will provide all the gasoline and matches to keep that fire burning bright. They don't care if they get facts wrong, no one is holding them accountable, again their being paid to inflame the masses.  When the fans start treating these clowns like they did Metha the coaches words will stop being twisted. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Short of going douchebag Belicheck and saying nothing , they can't . Once the media senses fans will eat it up they will provide all the gasoline and matches to keep that fire burning bright. They don't care if they get facts wrong, no one is holding them accountable, again their being paid to inflame the masses.  When the fans start treating these clowns like they did Metha the coaches words will stop being twisted. 

what facts did the media get wrong here?

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

what facts did the media get wrong here?

They take bits and pieces of a full interview and cut them up which takes away context of what was really being said . They spit back the pieces that are more likely to get a rise out of their audience. Listen to the full interview or audio clip , someone had posted it here before. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh said that taking Ulbrichs comments out of context to imply that he was saying that quinnen was out of shape is bush league- and he’s 100% right 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

God this guy is bad with the media

Who cares?  Belichick is the worst coach I have ever seen in my lifetime in dealing with the media.  It didn't hurt him.  Saleh's job is to coach. He is not a PR guy.  I don't really care about this QW thing.  Q has been a major disappointment from the moment he was drafted.   Let's see how the defense plays on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Who cares?  Belichick is the worst coach I have ever seen in my lifetime in dealing with the media.  It didn't hurt him.  Saleh's job is to coach. He is not a PR guy.  I don't really care about this QW thing.  Q has been a major disappointment from the moment he was drafted.   Let's see how the defense plays on Sunday.

Belichick has won multiple super bowls. When Saleh starts winning he can say whatever he wants to the media and get away with it. Until then it's going to generate a sht storm. So far all we get are a bunch of uncompetitive losses with the worst defense in the league.

Being a PR guy is part of a coaches job. 

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You are right, but belichick can do it because he won a million Super Bowls. You can’t be like this when you are 5-16

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

You're not wrong, but I'm not sure you're on point either.  It's really not about the video, or what was said, or politely offering legitimate criticism.  It's about creating pain to force a change because fans are sick of the same-o same-o with this crew.  Instead of throwing out a bunch of BS slogans and cliches from the podium and fighting with the reporters and the fans, these coaches should all STFU and go scheme some wins...

While I agree, they should find a way to put these guys in a better position to win - no doubt.  And you want to be pissed at him for putting a sh*tty product on the field - have at it...

But this wasn't excuse making and it wasn't even criticism.  that's really the point, he was actually complementing him and trying to honestly answer the question.

Bad choice of words, sure.  But again, these aren't politicians, our job shouldn't be to parse their words to find something to be critical of. 

I think if you listen to the clip - it's pretty clear what he meant.  He was complimenting QW while also trying to give an explanation as to what's really happening.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What about the players? Quinnen is “clinging to every word” and getting “trolled”? He’s unhappy in case you didn’t know. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

taken out of context? 

The out of context is that people here and within the media/twitter are making this out like he was throwing QW under the bus.  That was clearly not the intent, not even a little. Yes, those were the literal words, but the intention what it was made out to be.

Serious question - why do you care what Saleh says to the media? Does him taking receipts make the team any better or worse.

I don't love that sh*t either and would prefer him to just say nothing -but mostly I don't care.  I would like to see production.

• Upvote 3

Saleh was put in a tough spot by Ulbrich’s comments.
He defended his player.  He defended his coach.  He pointed out that the media did indeed latch on to the sound bite for clicks and engagement.
I’m good with Saleh’s response to the meaningless self inflicted press conference/ media story.  
Q is playing more snaps this year once adjusted for the game where he went out with an injury per Connor Hughes.  Hopefully the coaching staff continues to refine the rotation and packages quietly behind the scenes.
Having said all that, WINNING is still the best deodorant.  Hopefully the whole coaching staff is focused on doing whatever it takes - with urgency - to apply deodorant!

He couldn’t just say. “ we’re on to Pittsburg “

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You know compared to the last decade they are developing a few more players than previous regimes. I guess my point is they aren’t getting the most out of them even if they are improving, and that’s holding back even further development. Not a single player on this roster is hitting their full potential with this coaching staff imo. Maybe the offense keeps improving, as while they look to be progressing at least. But either the defensive system, or the man calling the plays needs to change before we see any success as a team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m no fan of Saleh or his DC, but this is all pretty stupid. You don’t like Saleh and his CS right now, so you’re chomping at the bit to bitch about any perceived missteps they make. Valid or not, who cares… let’s pile on!

A quote taken out of context yesterday becomes a tempest in a teapot here, only to be exacerbated by taking the HCs response to it today out of context also.

You guys are like a bunch of screaming old ladies grabbing your pitchforks and forming a mob…. You’re making a lot out of noise over nothing here. 

Man up, and shut up. 

Context is wins and losses.    We're in season there's a game on Sunday that a well coached team can win.   If you're winning nobody needs defending if your loseing every thing is indefensible.  It's not complicated.  

I think Saleh is a fraud.  So what, Saleh can prove me wrong by winning football games the thing he's actually paid to do.  Pittsburgh is a very winnable game.  Miami's D doesn't look great.  If Tua is hurt that's a winnable game.  The Pats look very beatable.  Denver looks like they gave up a ton for another QB who's done.  We have as much talent as at least 20 teams in the NFL.  If the QB can play and the coaching staff can coach this team can ball and win games.  

Stuff gets taken out of context because were lossing games.  Context changes when we win games.   If the team gets to 4 and 4 at some point nobody is piling on were all praising him.  If we get to 2 and 6 it's going to get ugly.  

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

What about the players? Quinnen is “clinging to every word” and getting “trolled”? He’s unhappy in case you didn’t know. 

Do you know that for certain or did you just infer that because he had a sideline yelling match with a coach last week.  Unless your in the locker room or talking directly to the player, you have no idea what he's thinking or feeling. 

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Robert Saleh

Apparently less than thrilled to learn fans and media were critical of his defensive coordinator throwing his best player under the bus, Jets head coach Robert Saleh called it “bush league” to discuss the comments.

Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich responds to a question about whether he will consider more PT for Quinnen Williams. #Jets pic.twitter.com/NdIetAzmeH

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 30, 2022

Defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, whose unit has been the worst in the NFL since taking over before last season took a shot at defensive tackle Quinnen Williams while meeting with the media yesterday.  When asked about Williams’ snap count, Ulbrich said “there are these critical moments in games, ‘Why is Quinnen not out there?’ You look to the side and he’s gasping for air.”

The comments obviously got the attention of Williams who took to twitter to re-tweet comments from Saleh earlier this year in which he praised Williams.  “Quinnen is in the best shape of his life”.

Prior to joining the Jets staff, Ulbrich had never held the position of defensive coordinator, sans an interim stint with the Falcons, and his group has been the worst in the NFL since taking the post.  Some would argue not the best time to go after your best player, but perhaps doing so is bush league?  Remember…positive vibes only.

The post Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Is he doubling down on this?

It's a strange hill to die on...