Some Smart Changes Saleh Should Make

I wont pretend I’m a super sophisticated fan and know the details of NFL schemes. But my ok understanding tells me:

- Use a defensive scheme that highlights the strength at CB. If that’s press man, then do that.

- Put Huff in the rotation at edge

- I actually think we are fine schematically on offense. They weren’t playing G Wilson much in week 1. That has changed. So, I’m good with what they are trying to do now. Playing from behind is the main reason for the lopsided Pass:Rush ratio. Maybe the one thing I would change now that Zach is back is run some RPOs. Also they need to get the screen game going.

- I agree with getting Joyner off the field and trying to see if Davis is better

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The best head coaches adapt and aren’t afraid to admit mistakes.  Saleh doesn’t appear very smart or flexible so I write the changes below with little hope they get done.

Please add yours or tell me where I’m blind.

1. Demote Ulbrich

2. Play press man as your base, 3rd down & red zone defense

3. Increase Quinnen’s reps to 75% as a starting point

4. Get Bryce Huff into the Edge rotation

5. At LB, I’d like to see Sherwood over Harris, the latter a JAG and the former coming off a promising preseason.  Start to give some of Mosley’s passing down reps to Sherwood.  Need to test to find the right 3rd down recipe which I think is Kwon and Sherwood

6. At Safety, replace Joyner with Ashtyn Davis, who has made more big plays in 1 Cleveland rep than Joyner has all year

7. If you can’t get pressure with 4, then send 5 instead of 7

8. Roll safety coverage to middle of the field, entrusting Sauce & Reed to play on an island outside.  Yes, elite players should be trusted even when they get beat from time to time

9. Play to Zach’s strengths while also allowing him to throw on 1st & 2nd down.  Roll him out to escape pressure.  Attack the 2nd and 3rd levels aggressively like we did against the Titans

10. Always take the ball when you win the coin flip.  Go off script if needed to get a ******* LEAD (we sent humans to the moon 53 years ago, this isn’t that hard)

11. Let’s see more of Moore, Wilson, & Berrios, even if to test the right groupings

12. Shock the opposing D and play no huddle, allowing Zach to get into a ******* RHYTHM 

13. Balance pass run in a creative way.  Not 1st down run, 2nd down run, third down pass.  Zach needs to build confidence with easy throws.  Don’t put him in a lot of third & longs

14. Get Moore involved early, middle of field not sidelines YOU IDIOTS

15. Increase Breece’s reps to 60% split bs 40% Carter

16. Resign

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I wont pretend I’m a super sophisticated fan and know the details of NFL schemes. But my ok understanding tells me:

- Use a defensive scheme that highlights the strength at CB. If that’s press man, then do that.

- Put Huff in the rotation at edge

- I actually think we are fine schematically on offense. They weren’t playing G Wilson much in week 1. That has changed. So, I’m good with what they are trying to do now. Playing from behind is the main reason for the lopsided Pass:Rush ratio. Maybe the one thing I would change now that Zach is back is run some RPOs. Also they need to get the screen game going.

- I agree with getting Joyner off the field and trying to see if Davis is better

The only thing I would add is to play Moore in the slot.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I will happily arm wrestle you for food! 

Ill just make you food my man! And arm wrestling isnt exactly my strong suit. I'm more of an air hockey guy, but im the 17x Eastern Indiana Air Hockey Champion.

1989-98, 2000-07

We dont talk about 99 in my household. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1. Get Nick Bosa and Fred Warner 

2. Have your weirdly genius HC/OC man the #1 rushing offense and #2 scoring offense in football so your defense is only on the field for ~20 minutes of clock time, and with the lead

3. Fist pump a lot and gesticulate wildly when Nick Bosa makes a play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Get Moore involved early, middle of field not sidelines YOU IDIOTS

That would mean someone on the CS actually knows how to coach. Problem is, that G. Wilson has proved better in that role. Maybe flip them cause GW seems to at least be able to get seperation.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The best head coaches adapt and aren’t afraid to admit mistakes.  Saleh doesn’t appear very smart or flexible so I write the changes below with little hope they get done.

1. Demote Ulbrich

5. At LB, I’d like to see Sherwood over Harris, the latter a JAG and the former coming off a promising preseason.  Start to give some of Mosley’s passing down reps to Sherwood.  Need to test to find the right 3rd down recipe which I think is Kwon and Sherwood

6. At Safety, replace Joyner with Ashtyn Davis, who has made more big plays in 1 Cleveland rep than Joyner has all year

8. Roll safety coverage to middle of the field, entrusting Sauce & Reed to play on an island outside.  Yes, elite players should be trusted even when they get beat from time to time

9. Play to Zach’s strengths while also allowing him to throw on 1st & 2nd down.  Roll him out to escape pressure.  Attack the 2nd and 3rd levels aggressively like we did against the Titans

10. Always take the ball when you win the coin flip.  Go off script if needed to get a ******* LEAD (we sent humans to the moon 53 years ago, this isn’t that hard)

11. Let’s see more of Moore, Wilson, & Berrios, even if to test the right groupings

12. Shock the opposing D and play no huddle, allowing Zach to get into a ******* RHYTHM 

13. Balance pass run in a creative way.  Not 1st down run, 2nd down run, third down pass.  Zach needs to build confidence with easy throws.  Don’t put him in a lot of third & longs

You are ruining our chance of not only getting the #1 in the draft but also getting Saleh fired and Payton hired. Keep your suggestions to yourself. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Demote Ulbrich

Nail on the head on all of these. 

1. I dont think you have to demote Ulbrich- if hes willing to do all of this! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Demote Ulbrich

i like a lot of these suggestions.  they should try some no huddle once in a while.  don't let the defense get too set or substitute.  they have enough good players that they don't need to rotate in any between plays.  i'd say get the te involved more too.  conklin showed he can catch the ball.  use him to chip the left end and then roll into the flat.