A little comparison for your entertainment.

Alka

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont get me wrong.  I loved those teams in those years.  But looking back now, i can see it for what it was.  It was spend, spend, spend, go all in with 0 plan for sustained success.

I mean the first year, rex told his players they were eliminated from the playoffs.  Only to realize the next day they were still in it.  Hahahaha.

Come on guys, these werent great football teams.  We had mark sanchez at qb.

I am just saying, if we are going to go back to a great football team that had a real chance to win a super bowl, it was the 1998 jets team.  And 1999 would have been even better if not for jimmy hoffa.

dont you know anything about football. that was our window to win. of course they had to go all in. and you only get sustained success if you get a QB which they tried.

there might have been some luck but Rex was on in the playoffs. you dont beat Brady and Peyton in back to back road playoff games on luck.

you fire Saleh tomorrow and hire Rex and we are in the playoffs. and he is a really good playoff coach so anything can happen. and this is his type of team. you got a pretty good OC with 2 really nice RBs. as long as Zach isnt a TO machine and plays ok like Sanchez were are good. if Rex was here Sause would already have an island named after him.

like it or not he was the 2nd best HC we ever had. in 6 years here he only had 2 losing seasons. and you guys treat him like he is Adam Gase or Kotite. 

and think about this. Sanchez was bad in the regular season. he finished his jet career with a 33-29 record. yet he had a 55.1 completion %. how does someone with a horrible comp % like that win more games than he loses? good coaching thats how.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets were good in 2010.  2009 was a gift. The Jets made the playoffs because the undefeated Colts benched Manning with about 20 minutes to go in week 16 (not week 17) with the Colts leading 15-10.  The Jets then abused Curtis Painter and scored a defensive TD on a fumble and inercepted him as well. The playoff wins were earned, but the playoff berth was arguably not.

Ryan was a good defensive coach, but the Jets offenses under him were terrible and as the rules changed favoring the passing game, Ryan played an obsolete offense that could not keep up with the rest of the NFL. Had the Jets put a decent offense on the field in 2009 and 2010, the Jets may have won a Super Bowl.  Instead, the offense was "ground and pound" more suited for the 1970s.   After 2010, Ryan never had another winning season and never sniffed the playoffs in 6 years of coaching. Plus, his bombastic persona is what led to the Jets animus we still experience today.  2010 was 12 years ago. Ryan is 60.  He is not a viable NFL coaching candidate and has not been one for a long time. Can we just let it go?  

I think Rex would have gotten a lot more respect had his buffoon of a brother who was even fatter than he wasn't on the scene. 

Besides, I liked ground and pound.  Those were 2 very good years!   Dis them if you wish but don't try to convince me.    

• WTF? 1

I would be more than happy if Saleh would go to the smoke and mirrors store and load the truck up because I enjoyed going to back to back championship games. Rex was full of bluster but it was a fun ride even if it was a short one.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I think you make a good argument, but I'm not sold.  Then, when you talk about the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing?  Really?  2 back to back AFC Championship games is not nothing, at least in my eyes.  And we beat the Patriots against Tom Brady in their home stadium to get to the AFC Championship one of those years, is probably the happiest that I have been a Jets fan in my lifetime.

But again, your argument is reasonable, minus the knock on Rex with having 2 AFC Championship games.

I love those 2 playoff runs but we got very lucky backing into the playoffs in 2009. 2010 was a great year and worthy of the excitement. Just remember that the Jets were 8-3 before Favre got hurt the year before we hired Rex, this team was loaded before he got here. The exact opposite is true for Saleh. In fact we traded away our only established defenders in Leo and Jamal (both wise moves). 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id take 2 of Herman Edwards playoff teams over those 2 Rex teams.  Heck, one actually won a division and hosted a playoff game.  If I were going to rank the playoff teams going back to 98, id be:

1- 1998

2- 2002

3- 2004

4- 2010

5- 2001

6- 2006

7- 2009

2004 and 2006 teams were hampered by a weak Pennington shoulder so id put 2009 in front but your point is fair……

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think Rex would have gotten a lot more respect had his buffoon of a brother who was even fatter than he wasn't on the scene. 

Besides, I liked ground and pound.  Those were 2 very good years!   Dis them if you wish but don't try to convince me.    

I don't think Rob Ryan spent a single day on the Jets coaching staff.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Rex Ryan-  History of his defensive Rankings in his 12 seasons in the NFL

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in yards allowed 9 times in 12 seasons.

They've finished in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top 10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well.

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in points allowed 5 times.

Robert Saleh- History of his defensive rankings last season and so far this season.

His defense ranked dead last #32 last year in total defense in 2021.

But let's look further, shall we?

Total defense of 49ers under Robert Sales:

2017- #25 in total defense.

2018- #28 in total defense

2019- #8 in total defense

2020- #17 in total defense.

After defensive Coordinator Demo Ryans took over last season, he got the 49ers to #9 in total defense, up from #17 the year before under Saleh.

So far, the Jets rank #25 overall in defense in 2022.

When you start looking at the numbers, if you're scratching your head as to what prompted Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson to hire Robert Saleh in the first place, you are not alone.  I'm right there with you.

We hired an offensive friendly coach to run the team.  It really does make a lot of sense when you're using the second pick in the draft for a QB.  

Why stop at Ryan?   I think the Jets should bring back Bill Parcells.  He's only 81.  Herm Edwards is available too.  This is a ridiculous thread.  It is worse than the threads talking about the failure to hire Pederson or McCarthy.  The next coach hired in the last 2 years will be on this list when he wins a few games. The would coulda shouldas on this board are hilarious sometimes.  

Rich Kotite was 36-28 as a head coach before the Jets hired him.  Why was he a bad hire?  You have to look at more than a coach's record before he is hired by the Jets.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Rob Ryan had nothing to do with the Jets

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't think Rob Ryan spent a single day on the Jets coaching staff.  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Obtuse: 1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.  Pretty concrete interpretation of "on the scene".   

• WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, doitny said:

dont you know anything about football. that was our window to win. of course they had to go all in. and you only get sustained success if you get a QB which they tried.

there might have been some luck but Rex was on in the playoffs. you dont beat Brady and Peyton in back to back road playoff games on luck.

you fire Saleh tomorrow and hire Rex and we are in the playoffs. and he is a really good playoff coach so anything can happen. and this is his type of team. you got a pretty good OC with 2 really nice RBs. as long as Zach isnt a TO machine and plays ok like Sanchez were are good. if Rex was here Sause would already have an island named after him.

like it or not he was the 2nd best HC we ever had. in 6 years here he only had 2 losing seasons. and you guys treat him like he is Adam Gase or Kotite. 

and think about this. Sanchez was bad in the regular season. he finished his jet career with a 33-29 record. yet he had a 55.1 completion %. how does someone with a horrible comp % like that win more games than he loses? good coaching thats how.

Also play Sauce on  their best receiver man 2 man and send some blitzes. Yeah, you will get beat sometime, yes Sauce will get called for PI sometimes but you will get sacks and pressure. We got the closest thing to Revis we’ve had since Revis and we are using him to play zone. Weird he has Cromartie’s frame kind of. Saleh has no idea how to do anything but what he did in San Fran, wasn’t even that good there, just had some incredible pieces. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Obtuse: 1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.  Pretty concrete interpretation of "on the scene".   

Now I'm even more confused. Ryan was DC for various other teams during the Ryan Jets years. If being "on the scene" means he was in the NFL, then I guess you are right about that. How Rob Ryan being a DC of Dallas or NO led to a negative view of the Jets, I have no clue.  And it was Rex and not Rob who made a fool of himself on Hard Knocks. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Last time the Jets had any kind of identiity, it was when Rex was coach.  We were built around a great OL, strong running game and a young QB that was just asked not to lose games.  And late in tight games, Sanchez was at his best.  Defensively, we were going to get after your QB.  Try to send more than you could block and make the QB miserable for the day.  We dictated how the game would be played.  Opponents had to react to what we were going to do.

What is the identity of this year's team.  Or any team we have had for the last 10 seasons.

Rex was the perfect guy for those 09 & 10 teams.  But he was a one trick pony who could not adapt as personnel changed  We lost Faneca, and then Woody from the OL. And Revis & Jenkins on defense.  Our OL could not dominate any more.  And OCs figured out how to attack our blitzing schemes when we were counting on guys like Dee Milliner and Kyle Wilson to replace Revis. 

Rex was not a great coach, but I will take a one trick pony over a no trick pony.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Last time the Jets had any kind of identiity, it was when Rex was coach.  We were built around a great OL, strong running game and a young QB that was just asked not to lose games.  And late in tight games, Sanchez was at his best.  Defensively, we were going to get after your QB.  Try to send more than you could block and make the QB miserable for the day.  Opponents had to react to what we were going to do.

What is the identity of this year's team.  Or any team we have had for the last 10 seasons.

Rex was the perfect guy for those 09 & 10 teams.  But he was a one trick pony who could not adapt as personnel changed  We lost Faneca, and then Woody from the OL. And Revis & Jenkins on defense.  Our OL could not dominate any more.  And OCs figured out how to attack our blitzing schemes when we were counting on guys like Dee Milliner and Kyle Wilson to replace Revis. 

Rex was not a great coach, but I will take a one trick pony over a no trick pony.

Rex would turn Sauce into a rockstar and household name. Not just my house either. He probably hold out but be worth the money. With Saleh kid probably won’t even get a second contract here. Go to Buffalo start his HOF journey.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, K Clue said:

Saleh sucks. 

I’m tired of his lame a** excuses and his corny motivational quotes. 

He’s in way over his head and I will keeping thinking that until proven otherwise. 

Don’t get your panties in a bunch 

Saleh sucks as a HC, he did not suck as a DC by any objective measure. Please proceed with your childish tantrum. 

• Haha 1

Big fan of Rex. Saleh is a different type of coach though. We didn’t hire him to be the HC of the defense like we did Rex. Or Gase with the offense.

Saleh has left a lot to be desired. But he shouldn’t  be compared to Rex just on defense. He should assessed based on the culture of the team, development of the team and w/l record. Right now he’s failing at all three.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id take 2 of Herman Edwards playoff teams over those 2 Rex teams.  Heck, one actually won a division and hosted a playoff game.  If I were going to rank the playoff teams going back to 98, id be:

1- 1998

2- 2002

3- 2004

4- 2010

5- 2001

6- 2006

7- 2009

You make a big deal out of Herm getting a division win and hosting a playoff game but shrug your shoulders at back to back AFC championship games. Seems kind of weird to me but I guess you need to be you. It seems like you are doubling down on a bad take with this post.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

They also poured draft and FA resources into Rex's defense, while neglecting the offense.

Rex and Saleh were both hired to be head coaches, not defensive coordinators. Being strong on one side of the ball, at the expense of the other, it's not part of the job. Especially as the league was going on the opposite direction.

I'm not defending Saleh above - i just can't understand the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing in his two stints in the league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Under Rex and Tanny, the Jets also had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and one of the best running games. Not just the ball carriers, but the line blocking scheme by Callahan.  Man and zone in combo and always effective.  They had a LT that could not run block and they had a limited QB, but still found a way to win with scheme and creativity.  They were more than a defensive only team.  The bottleneck was Sanchez's limitations and not Rex's.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Smoke and mirrors Rex Ryan.  If jet fans need to hang onto something, 1998 is the season.  That was a real football team with a legitimate shot to win a super bowl.

The rex ryan teams were smoke and mirrors, were never very good, got lucky in many situations and never had a real chance to win anything.

Then rex ran them into the ground.

Not the biggest Rex fan - but what the hell are you talking about?

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in yards allowed 9 times in 12 seasons.
They've finished in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top 10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well.
Robert Saleh- History of his defensive rankings last season and so far this season.
After defensive Coordinator Demo Ryans took over last season, he got the 49ers to #9 in total defense, up from #17 the year before under Saleh.
When you start looking at the numbers, if you're scratching your head as to what prompted Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson to hire Robert Saleh in the first place, you are not alone.  I'm right there with you.

[/quote

I am sorry. The great Baltimore defenses were built by Ozzie Newsome, Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan. Ryan had very little to do with any of it!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Entertained GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Don’t get your panties in a bunch 

Saleh sucks as a HC, he did not suck as a DC by any objective measure. Please proceed with your childish tantrum. 

Lmao, it was me stating facts that he sucks, I didn’t think I would have to specifically say head coach, thought it was fairly obvious… next time I’ll be more specific, since you’re too dense to realize the obvious. 

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

They also poured draft and FA resources into Rex's defense, while neglecting the offense.

Rex and Saleh were both hired to be head coaches, not defensive coordinators. Being strong on one side of the ball, at the expense of the other, it's not part of the job. Especially as the league was going on the opposite direction.

I'm not defending Saleh above - i just can't understand the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing in his two stints in the league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rex was the best and most successful coach since Weeb and you can’t even debate that

1 hour ago, funaz said:

Rex was the best and most successful coach since Weeb and you can’t even debate that

Sure I can. Walt Michaels was a better coach and so was Parcells.  Ryan's 2011-2014 tenure with the Jets was a disaster. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I have to admit I liked Rex for a bit especially when we were winning lol but it got old quick.  He inherit a lot of good pieces in Harris, Revis, etc.. but Rex's ****ed it all up as he had a good thing going with Mike Pettine.  Together they made a decent team on defense at least with that talent but apart they both sucked ass and they sucked at drafting.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

wasn't todd bowles a better defenive coordinator that either ryan or saleh?  how'd he work out as head coach.

by the numbers i think Rex was better than Bowles. Rex coached 12 years and Bowles is in year 12 now. not counting this this the numbers go like this.

Rex had two #1 defense in Pts and Yards ( 2006, 2009 ). Bowles best was 4th in Yards (2015) and 5th in points TB (2021)

Bowles had one more top 10 defense in Pts than Rex (6-5)

but Rex killed him in top 10 in Yards (9-3) 

for all the crap Rex gets here he had a top 10 defense in yard in EVERY YEAR as a Jet but 2013 in which it was ranked 11th. he missed it by one.

even if you just count their DC years Rex was much better .

1 hour ago, funaz said:

I wasn't debating that ... I just find it rather sad that we still long for the days of losing the AFCCG as if it was some sort of crowning achievement.

Reminds me a lot of this ...

image.png.eb656842bd6f45b944b1fe46dfe28791.png