<<<<<<< Jets vs Steelers -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

9 minutes ago, derp said:

The track record of guys drafted in the 2-5 range is abysmal. Every 2-3 years there’s a guy who can elevate the team around him drafted #1. But I think you have to go back to Matt Ryan to find a QB drafted 2-5 who was good on his second contract, and maybe Rivers before him.

Its possible there are sample size issues, but I genuinely believe teams are better off taking a talented guy and bringing him along slowly just a tick later, once their team is a little better. Best young QB’s in the NFL right now (Mahomes, Allen) went outside the top five, other guys who very much belong in that conversation (Herbert, Jackson) did as well, and a couple (Burrow, Murray) went #1.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.   Landing spot and coaching is far more important than is generally acknowledged on here. Sitting and waiting for a good portion of games doesn’t seem to hurt either.  Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes all sat extensively at the beginning of their career.  Allen sat for awhile.  Lamar was used sparingly in specific packages only for about the first half of his rookie year.  It’s all circumstantial evidence, but there is a lot of it that shows if you want the absolute tip top QBs, that might be the route to go.  Sitting them and plugging them into a competitive roster after a bit.

• Upvote 1