<<<<<<< Jets vs Steelers -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

Just now, Greensleeves said:

I agree. It took him a bit to shake off the rust - he hadn't played real football in a long time. By the 4th he looked like a franchise QB - big 3rd down conversion after big conversion. That pass to GW was insanely good and shows his immense throwing talent.

The pirouetting needs to stop but he looked pretty sharp on those last couple of drives. I wasn’t expecting that at all either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Of course.  I think we can agree there was obvious rust so I think that will shake off now.  The first interception was bad no defending that,

.  The most important think is that the kid isn’t afraid of the moment and rose to the occasion when we needed it 

Agreed. 

But he also has to prove he can progress from this and I would like to see a more complete performance next week. 

One thing i like is 4th quarter magic and I like QBs who get better as the game progresses. Darnold was the opposite - he had a lot of opening drive touchdowns and quiet 4th quarters. I think Wilson is going to be the other way around . . . 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hell yes I will.  Because the mark of a FQB is consistency.  Not looking completely lost for entire quarters at a time every week.  

Funny timing on this one given that today we saw Josh Allen and Lamar look like poop for a good part of their game.  The NFL is a tricky thing.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Funny timing on this one given that today we saw Josh Allen and Lamar look like poop for a good part of their game.  The NFL is a tricky thing.

Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson have bad quarters and games, no doubt.  But they'll look good or great for something like 12/17 games a year or more.  

We've been here long enough to see fans celebrate young QB's who are good for 4 games / 11 quarters a year and claim that that guy can be a FQB.  

Good games obviously have to become more of the rule than the rarity.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

As the Wolf says in Pulp Fiction, "let's not start sucking each others' d***s just yet."

I'm positively surprised that BYU delivered a game-winning drive. I expected to get blown out.

However, no one has been "proven right" about young Master Wilson, yet.

Hoping this is a building block game but expecting a return to the mean.

I don’t think anyone is.

‘I’m just saying give the kid credit.  He was playing for the 1st time in a month in a half, last time was a 5 pass appearance and why just continue to trash him.  Someone said he had a good 1st game back and he laughed at him.  He came back, had a great 4th Q in a hard place to win.  Walk away happy and hope he continues to play better with time.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I don’t think anyone is.

‘I’m just saying give the kid credit.  He was playing for the 1st time in a month in a half, last time was a 5 pass appearance and why just continue to trash him.  Someone said he had a good 1st game back and he laughed at him.  He came back, had a great 4th Q in a hard place to win.  Walk away happy and hope he continues to play better with time.  

I don't give professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars "credit," nor do I call them "kids."

He positively surprised me. That's the maximum available from me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, this is:  Welcome back to the ignore list.  Not sure why I ever took you off.  Now you'll be able to respond into the void when you quote me!

basketball wives goodbye GIF by VH1

You put me on it because you can’t say goodbye or ignore on your own.  While knowing how to claim I can’t.  And the “don’t come back” in your vid is kind of funny, I’m not leaving.  You are.  
What a hissy fit over a win.  Disappointing having to put the we suck rant on hold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don't give professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars "credit," nor do I call them "kids."

He positively surprised me. That's the maximum available from me.

That’s your choice but pretty much everyone else does.  ZW hasn’t played a whole season yet.  
Im just glad he balled out when he had to and gives hope that he’s growing

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don’t think anyone is.

Yup. He also played only 2-3 drives in pre season so in reality the kid hasn't played in a game since last year. He looked ok behind a patch work Oline that would have allowed a bunch of sacks if Flacco was behind center. He had some good and some bad. Jury is still out but he deserves some credit for the 4th quarter comeback. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, xJayce said:

To me, it's not just the two interceptions... In the first half, he could have easily been picked off 4 times.

Oline and drops didn't help, but he needs to be a lot better at not forcing the play and escaping the pocket (scramble) if the pass isn't there. A 3 yard scramble is worth a lot more than a forced throw.

sure, but almost doesn't count for good things so it shouldn't count for bad things. You are either a stats person or a soft science person. Here, far too many people pick stats when it fits their narrative and then soft science when that fits their narrative - I am not calling you out as I don't know if you are that kind of poster as I do not track that kind of thing - but it happens far too often on this site.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson have bad quarters and games, no doubt.  But they'll look good or great for something like 12/17 games a year or more.  

We've been here long enough to see fans celebrate young QB's who are good for 4 games / 11 quarters a year and claim that that guy can be a FQB.  

Good games obviously have to become more of the rule than the rarity.

Yes 

and sooner than later 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting.

92.2 sounds a little high to me

starting to question the viability of this model 

Oh, agreed. The model can definitely be questioned. That being said, I'd like to see how many teams down by 10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter come back to win the game.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, xJayce said:

Oh, agreed. The model can definitely be questioned. That being said, I'd like to see how many teams down by 10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter come back to win the game.

Yea come to think of it - that might happen less than 9 out of 10 times . . . 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

sure, but almost doesn't count for good things so it shouldn't count for bad things. You are either a stats person or a soft science person. Here, far too many people pick stats when it fits their narrative and then soft science when that fits their narrative - I am not calling you out as I don't know if you are that kind of poster as I do not track that kind of thing - but it happens far too often on this site.

Honestly, I think I will flip between both (actual stats vs soft stats) depending on context...

Interceptions are a function of a QB throwing the ball and a defender taking it away. But not all interceptions are created equal. When you throw a perfect pass and the WR flubs it, sends it into the air, and the defender comes away with it, yes that was an interception, but not really on the QB. When you throw a terrible pass, the DB gets both hands on it, then drops it, that 'almost' interception, while not impacting the game the same way, tells you more about your QB than the first int does.

I was having a similar conversation with @Warfish on pressures vs QB hits vs sacks. I think pressures are an interesting stat. Some pressures can be very impactful (I shared a clip where Quinnen 4 had four pressures). It's a bit of a soft stat as it's subjective, but I think it can tell you a lot about a player's performance.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And really the rookie year is a wash so in essence he's only played 1 real quarter in his life

No it's not a wash and I know you are being sarcastic but he still hadn't played a real NFL game in 9 months so maybe there was some rust also. He did look good in the 4th quarter. I'm still on the fence about Wilson and we will see how it goes this year. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Honestly, I think I will flip between both (actual stats vs soft stats) depending on context...

Interceptions are a function of a QB throwing the ball and a defender taking it away. But not all interceptions are created equal. When you throw a perfect pass and the WR flubs it, sends it into the air, and the defender comes away with it, yes that was an interception, but not really on the QB. When you throw a terrible pass, the DB gets both hands on it, then drops it, that 'almost' interception, while not impacting the game the same way, tells you more about your QB than the first int does.

I was having a similar conversation with @Warfish on pressures vs QB hits vs sacks. I think pressures are an interesting stat. Some pressures can be very impactful (I shared a clip where Quinnen 4 had four pressures). It's a bit of a soft stat as it's subjective, but I think it can tell you a lot about a player's performance.

sure, but we don't track almost INTs over time, so it is hard to see how he is doing relative to other QBs especially other 2nd year QBs. Also, actual INTs also include balls that bounce off of a receiver, are taken from a receiver, a receiver falls down after the throw, jump balls in the end of the 4th quarter - but if you are going to bounce back and forth it is hard to claim a lot of objectivity.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

sure, but we don't track almost INTs over time, so it is hard to see how he is doing relative to other QBs especially other 2nd year QBs. Also, actual INTs also include balls that bounce off of a receiver, are taken from a receiver, a receiver falls down after the throw, jump balls in the end of the 4th quarter - but if you are going to bounce back and forth it is hard to claim a lot of objectivity.

I'm a fan, not a scout. I don't think I need to claim any objectivity whatsoever! :D

But seriously, as we fans evaluate the QB, it's not necessarily about measuring stats against other 2nd year QBs. It's more about taking a look at progress. If the only reason that ZW doesn't have an int in a game is because the defenders dropped 5 very catchable INTs, I'm not feeling great about the performance.

It's like saying a GM's record is what it is... You can have a 4 and 13 team which was blown out in every single one of those loses and had 4 lucky wins, or you can have a team of young players which competed in every game and lost most games by less than an FG... In both cases, you're 4 and 13, but one is looking much better than the other.

I guess what I'm trying to say are that stats in a vacuum are useless, the context of those stats is significantly more important.

2 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I'm a fan, not a scout. I don't think I need to claim any objectivity whatsoever! :D

But seriously, as we fans evaluate the QB, it's not necessarily about measuring stats against other 2nd year QBs. It's more about taking a look at progress. If the only reason that ZW doesn't have an int in a game is because the defenders dropped 5 very catchable INTs, I'm not feeling great about the performance.

It's like saying a GM's record is what it is... You can have a 4 and 13 team which was blown out in every single one of those loses and had 4 lucky wins, or you can have a team of young players which competed in every game and lost most games by less than an FG... In both cases, you're 4 and 13, but one is looking much better than the other.

I guess what I'm trying to say are that stats in a vacuum are useless, the context of those stats is significantly more important.

I would agree with that it a lot of ways. All too often on this site fans jump back and forth so that they can pick whichever fits their narrative. And while they are free to do that and you are free to not be objective, fans who are quick to adjust their approach to fit their narrative makes this site unreadable IMO. Again, not saying you but....

This site has gone crazy about the stats are so important, unless they are done by a Jet QB in the 4th quarter - every QB in the league, especially Mac Jones IMO make hay in garbage time, but fans have called out garbage time stats in the two games that the Jets won. This is just - look - the player sucks, the coach sucks, I was right with no objectivity.

Even after a win, you read the site without knowing the score and you couldn't tell in some of the threads that we actually won. Reading the game thread in the 4th and you would think we were down by 35 points..

• Upvote 1