<<<<<<< Jets vs Steelers -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

20 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I'm still processing what happened. Of course I'll take the two W's but they don't feel like the Jets deserved to win either game. I want to see them kick some Dolfig ass next week by double digits.

If you win, you deserve it, absent some egregiously wrong ref call at the critical moment.

I expected the Jets to win. The Steelers are bad.

Zach did show character late in the game. Unquestionably his best few minutes as a Jet.  People are getting carried away and I guess that's fair enough, we don't get these moments often but a lot of the same problems are still clearly there. Zach still has bad habits in the pocket, still misses some gimme plays, the line backers are just terrible and the o-line is a mess. Brown needs to get his ass back asap because we're beyond the bare bones at this point. Fair play to AVT for stepping up. 

The corners were great. The safeties were better than they've been but the interceptions were fortunate as well. Claypool and Johnson have just been awful for the Steelers and two of those picks should have been caught, same on the other side with Conklin. Just a very sloppy game.

I'll probably watch again later in the week with the all-22 camera. We'll have to be better to beat Miami - Bridgewater is the definition of mediocre but that's still a sight better than Trubisky. We actually do match up with them fairly well - Their strengths on offence are our strengths defensively. Should be a fun few matchups on the outside. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I expected the Jets to win. The Steelers are bad.

Zach did show character late in the game. Unquestionably his best few minutes as a Jet.  People are getting carried away and I guess that's fair enough, we don't get these moments often but a lot of the same problems are still clearly there. Zach still has bad habits in the pocket, still misses some gimme plays, the line backers are just terrible and the o-line is a mess. Brown needs to get his ass back asap because we're beyond the bare bones at this point. Fair play to AVT for stepping up. 

The corners were great. The safeties were better than they've been but the interceptions were fortunate as well. Claypool and Johnson have just been awful for the Steelers and two of those picks should have been caught, same on the other side with Conklin. Just a very sloppy game.

I'll probably watch again later in the week with the all-22 camera. We'll have to be better to beat Miami - Bridgewater is the definition of mediocre but that's still a sight better than Trubisky. We actually do match up with them fairly well - Their strengths on offence are our strengths defensively. Should be a fun few matchups on the outside. 

Watch every game with the same level of scrutiny and you’ll come to the conclusion that every NFL team sucks 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

So Minkah thinks the Steelers are 'better than' the Jets, but this is the rest of his statement...

"Well, they made the necessary plays," Fitzpatrick said. "They won the third downs. We didn't win them. They're getting the ball to the guys they wanted to get it to. We didn't stop them. When they get the ball to where they want to get it to, it's tough to win."

You do you, Minkah :D

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Here we go, guests just left:

- Credit where credit is due.  The defense, particularly the Safeties, came to play.  Ulbrich had his unit play four quarters of good football. We do need better coverage LBs though.

- LaFleur…not his best game…but his players didn’t help him.  I didn’t love some of his situational play calling today, but I think there were opportunities left on the field due to very bad OL play, drops, and rust from the QB.

- Garrett Wilson couldn’t catch a cold today and single handedly killed a drive with two brutal drops.  He’s been great this year, but the drops are a recurring theme that need to change.  

- Zach’s first INT was a bad read and good defensive play, but can’t happen with that position.  No need for that playcall and definitely no need for him to take that shot with the field position we had.  The second INT was completely on Conklin who, like Garrett Wilson, needs to go back and work with the jugs machine, because we are seeing these types of drops/plays way too often from him.  If he can’t hold onto it, then someone else needs to get some reps, whether that’s Ruckert, Cager, or Uzomah.  So far Conklin is on pace to be responsible for one turnover a game with his mistakes.  Figure it out, or get off the field.  The yardage he gets doesn’t outweigh the critical issues.

- Bryce Huff should never be inactive again.

- Quinnen was a force.

- Jermaine Johnson had a great day.

- Sauce Gardner had an elite day.

- Get Breece Hall run blockers, and he’s gonna gash people.

- Unless you get a mid to high 2nd for him, keep Corey Davis.  He’s too consistent.

- AVT is an absolute stud.

- The right side of the line is in shambles.  Herbig is/was a big liability, and McDermott was mediocre, at best, horrendous, at worst.

- Elijah Moore and Wilson had a nice connection early on.  I can see that getting much better as the weeks go by.

- Zach (& this is where I’m going to wrap this up.):  

Taking a step back from the hype and emotions of the game…it was a pretty up and down day.  There is, still, quite a bit he needs to clean up.  No, he didn’t get much help, if at all, today (looking, again, at Garret Wilson and Tyler Conklin + the O-Line/running game), but the end of the first half pick cannot, under any circumstances, happen.  That was, 125%, on him.  Maybe it was rust, maybe it was hero ball, I don’t know, I have yet to watch or read any post-game stuff.

That being said…

The fourth quarter was probably the best football I have seen from him yet.  Stepped up in the pocket, made perfect throws (seriously, the ball placement is night and day), played WITHIN the offense, didn’t let the moment become too big for him, and he successfully took out the Steelers on the road.  Very encouraging stuff.  That’s the kid we all want to see.  I’m not crowning him anything just yet.  I need a better four quarters than what I saw today.  However, I think he played better than the box score showed, and there were some big moments of growth on display today.  I don’t think the kid from last year wins that game.  I’m, still, cautiously optimistic. 

Great post

The theme I'm picking up here is a lack of consistency from a lot of the team. Drops from guys that have made amazing catches. ZW running both hot and cold in the same game. The safeties having a bounce back game after some terrible play so far this season.

I'm not sure where each player lines up in regards to skill, but we need to see more consistency from a lot of these guys for the team to be successful.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I may be in the minority here, but I thought that call was incredibly soft.

It may be soft, but make sure you don't give the refs the opportunity to call it.

And I know how hard that is when you're a 250 pound DL running full speed at an opposing QB.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So Minkah thinks the Steelers are 'better than' the Jets, but this is the rest of his statement...

You do you, Minkah :D

I'm sure the other 31 teams (ok 30 - not the panthers) feel the same way.

The Jets can and appear to be on the right road to change that.

Please do not come out flat on Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I'm sure the other 31 teams (ok 30 - not the panthers) feel the same way.

The Jets can and appear to be on the right road to change that.

Please do not come out flat on Sunday. 

Yeah, but nobody else says it out loud to a reporter.  That's different.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Yeah, but nobody else says it out loud to a reporter.  That's different.

Agree - it is the same i experience with the steeler fan - the last few times we beat them at home - it was always enjoy your superbowl beating us - why i actually hate their fanbase more then any other team.

12 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I'm still processing what happened. Of course I'll take the two W's but they don't feel like the Jets deserved to win either game. I want to see them kick some Dolfig ass next week by double digits.

I suppose I could see someone saying that about the Browns game, but not yesterday. 

The Jets dominated the 4th quarter. Two great drives and a huge stop. No luck or divine intervention required. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Trevor has been awesome this year. He had a bad game vs a really good defense on the road. 

Trevor was always a generational type prospect. 

wouldn't we have to have gone winless to get Trevor?

we were close but i think even taking out the rams game we would have finished second.  i think but not 100% sure

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I suppose I could see someone saying that about the Browns game, but not yesterday. 

The Jets dominated the 4th quarter. Two great drives and a huge stop. No luck or divine intervention required. 

Pitt went prevent on O and D, threw an unnecessary INT (should not have called a pass) and Pitt's DC couldn't figure out how to cover the TE crossing over the middle ALL DAY LONG - no adjustments at all.

Hey. I'm happy - just thinking about the terrible play for 3 qtrs and how a few very lucky plays kept this from becoming a disaster. 

Tua out next week is a break but I'm waiting to see the Jets stack a few games together.

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

a&#036;&#036;hole - ignore is the best feature on this board.

You know what?  You are right.  I was being a bit of an a&#036;&#036;hole. 

Seriously, please accept my sincere apology.  We never know how others days are going or what they may be going through.

Sorry.  I should not have made you day worse.  My bad.

36 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Pitt went prevent on O and D, threw an unnecessary INT (should not have called a pass) and Pitt's DC couldn't figure out how to cover the TE crossing over the middle ALL DAY LONG - no adjustments at all.

Hey. I'm happy - just thinking about the terrible play for 3 qtrs and how a few very lucky plays kept this from becoming a disaster. 

Tua out next week is a break but I'm waiting to see the Jets stack a few games together.

And IF the Jets recover the muffed punt that 3 guys missed .........

On 10/3/2022 at 12:23 AM, slimjasi said:

I think we have to be able to bust each other’s balls without antagonizing 

it’s a delicate line that you have to walk 

Most can but there's one in particular who cannot and hasn't been able to for 20 years.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

John Hughes Movie GIF

Lol we have the same admirer who has been emboldened because a 250/1/2 50% game means all the Jets troubles are over, the franchise QB has been found, and anyone who has been skeptical must be dunked on. He also literally cannot be ignored ? 

He has learned nothing from the premature victory laps of the past. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And IF the Jets recover the muffed punt that 3 guys missed .........

Yeah, stuff happens. But in my mind it was a lucky win and that's not bad, but I'd like to see a game where the Jets have a two score lead late in the game.

Zach Wilson was 8-for-24 with 2 INT's until the fourth quarter 'magic' happened.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Yeah, stuff happens. But in my mind it was a lucky win and that's not bad, but I'd like to see a game where the Jets have a two score lead late in the game.

Zach Wilson was 8-for-24 with 2 INT's until the fourth quarter 'magic' happened.

And yet they held the lead for the entire 1st half, something the Jets rarely do . 

• Upvote 1