Jump to content

Zach Wilson is a high school quarterback (merged)


Dcronin
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno why that's a comfortable place to be though.  When you aren't sure if you have a FQB or not in year 2, chances are great that you don't.  

It'd sure be nice for Wilson to ball out against Miami to actually move the needle in that direction.  

If you think 14 games with some (maybe not much, but some) growth from a QB is enough to say he isn't going to be an FQB, you're pretty pessimistic.

I'm not saying that I think he's the guy, but Zach Wilson this time last season isn't winning this game. And that goes to say something

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

If you think 14 games with some (maybe not much, but some) growth from a QB is enough to say he isn't going to be an FQB, you're pretty pessimistic.

I'm not saying that I think he's the guy, but Zach Wilson this time last season isn't winning this game. And that goes to say something

The Arizona Cardinals decided that after 13 games of Josh Rosen and they haven't gone on to regret it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The Arizona Cardinals decided that after 13 games of Josh Rosen and they haven't gone on to regret it.  

Josh Rosen also had off-field problems. His whole team hated him on top of him sucking, and he was a big jerk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pickett threw a jump ball that got picked off on sideline. Up until that point, everyone was a “little bitch.” Congrats for being among the deeply silent tough-guy community that just knew in their very alpha-bro hearts that the Jets had a chance. We’re all fans. Don’t parachute in after an improbable win and criticize people who were reacting to the game in real time while you were hiding under the couch cushion for 55 minutes of game time. Some might consider that little-bitch behavior. 

Wherein Shane strikes back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Emboldened? You know full well I don’t need to be emboldened to put out my POV on this board.     There was no point in that game when the Jets weren’t in position to have a reasonable shot to win. 

The attacks on Zach and the feeling that guys had given up or were actually rooting for failure was palpable during the game thread. 

My opinion is my opinion.  I don’t deal in facts it was a gut feeling during the game and I put it out there.  

I’m only a homer during games.  I have a lot of respect for different POVs.  During the games I don’t enjoy the negativity.  Any other time I’m fine with it. 

i get you don’t respect my opinion.  I’m not the tone police or emboldened.   I’m good not participating in game threads if they continue to be insufferable for me.

 

I have respect for you and rather enjoy your posts. You’re just out over your skis calling anyone a bitch for thinking the Jets weren’t playing well enough to win that game. No one thought they were going to win for the far majority of it. Stating otherwise is hindsight. Claiming superiority for claiming to hold an opinion you never held in real time is clown sh*t. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Josh Rosen also had off-field problems. His whole team hated him on top of him sucking, and he was a big jerk.

I get that, and rest assured:  I'm willing to give Zach Wilson the full year 2 to "prove it" or not.  Meaning he has up to 27 games of sample size to show whether he's "the guy" or not.

I just don't want him getting guaranteed the QB1 job in year 3.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that, and rest assured:  I'm willing to give Zach Wilson the full year 2 to "prove it" or not.  Meaning he has up to 27 games of sample size to show whether he's "the guy" or not.

I just don't want him getting guaranteed the QB1 job in year 3.

I agree with you on that. In fact, I wish they would have challenged him for the job in his first season, or actually in any season. I think Zach Wilson would play better if he knew that playing badly would lead him to lose his starting job.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that, and rest assured:  I'm willing to give Zach Wilson the full year 2 to "prove it" or not.  Meaning he has up to 27 games of sample size to show whether he's "the guy" or not.

I just don't want him getting guaranteed the QB1 job in year 3.

I agree with this. I was ready to stick a fork in him but his play in the 4th Q and on the money downs was impressive. 

Here's the reality. He does some things very very good. And he does some things very very bad. It's up to the staff to maximize what he does well and minimize what he does bad. That means cut down on the screens and enough with the ******* flea flicker, amongst other things. He botched it the 2 times they ran it.

Not sure Lafleur is up for it. The dude ran a HB draw around the 2:00 mark in the 4th Q when everyone and their mother knew the run game was rendered obsolete today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have respect for you and rather enjoy your posts. You’re just out over your skis calling anyone a bitch for thinking the Jets weren’t playing well enough to win that game. No one thought they were going to win for the far majority of it. Stating otherwise is hindsight. Claiming superiority for claiming to hold an opinion you never held in real time is clown sh*t. 

I guess you didn’t realize the Steelers suck and are rebuilding and having issues finishing.  

I don’t feel I’m superior to little b!tches.  I just don’t want to listen to them during winnable games. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Arizona Cardinals decided that after 13 games of Josh Rosen and they haven't gone on to regret it.  

Josh Rosen sucked, Zach did more on that last drive today then Rosen at any point in his NFL career. The book is still out on Zach, but there’s need to be more of a body of work to make those decisions, staying healthy is his biggest issue and the Jets team as well. Plus, the Cardinals are 1-2 and are up 3 at home against the Panthers. Who knows how they end up? That’s why they play the games, it’s a long season. And the Cardinals easily could of been 0-3.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:


Josh Rosen sucked, Zach did more on that last drive today then Rosen at any point in his NFL career. The book is still out on Zach, but there’s need to be more of a body of work to make those decisions, staying healthy is his biggest issue and the Jets team as well. Plus, the Cardinals are 1-2 and are up 3 at home against the Panthers. Who knows how they end up? That’s why they play the games, it’s a long season. And the Cardinals easily could of been 0-3.
 

I was merely saying its not out of the question to give up on your QB even if he hasn't made it to his 20th start yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that, and rest assured:  I'm willing to give Zach Wilson the full year 2 to "prove it" or not.  Meaning he has up to 27 games of sample size to show whether he's "the guy" or not.

I just don't want him getting guaranteed the QB1 job in year 3.

Nothing should be guaranteed.  However unless he really sucks(which I find unlikely) he will be given every opportunity especially when you pick a guy number 2 overall.  The Jets are probably going to win some games so they aren’t going to be bad enough to draft a top flight QB anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I’m not saying it’s comfortable, I’m just saying that it is what it is. Once Zach has played a full season, 16 or 17 NFL games we can probably start to be a little more definitive.  He is 1–0 in his second year. Small sample size. I saw both the good and the bad from Zach today. Was it rust, was it a bad offensive line, or was it just a couple bad plays on the way to a game-winning drive?

To me, the Jets finally have some viable weapons on offense.  I’m looking forward to seeing how they are used. It’s clear to me that Zach was selected because he is the right type of player and fit for what this offensive scheme is to be.  To me, Zach looked more like the guy at the end of last year who almost won that game against Tampa than he did the guy during the first half of his rookie year. And, in his first game played since last season I’m glad that the second half looked better than his first during this game.  

Only fair way to view it. I do think he will be that rollercoaster, Brett Favre type, QB. Always having those head scratching plays. Gotta start winning and throwing more TDs if you expect people to tolerate those dumb throws. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Yeah but he also caught a TD and banged your mom at halftime soooo....

 

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

WTF, my mother is dead you soulless piece of sh-t

 

This fanbase is trending older and older.  Gotta be careful with the 'ur mom" jokes, clearly!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been a very vocal critic of ZW and even after today I am far from sold on whether he is the guy to take this team forward.

Watching him today however has given me some renewed hope for his future.

The patchwork OL today made his job enormously difficult.

Yes he looked amateurish on some plays but he balanced things out with some clutch plays in the 4th Q.

One big positive was his mobility and he didnt seem affected by his last injury.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue to make  progress.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was merely saying its not out of the question to give up on your QB even if he hasn't made it to his 20th start yet.

To be fair, the Arizona situation was very unique and shouldn't be used as an example.  

-Rosen was a malcontent off the field.

-They just fired the head coach.

-They had the number 1 pick in the draft.

-The new head coach has a system tailor made for the top quarterback coming out.

If any of those things don't happen the decision isn't so clear.  If they didn't have the top pick or there wasn't a quarterback worthy of the top pick are they still ditching him?

It's much rarer to give up on a quarterback in under 20 starts than not.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Only fair way to view it. I do think he will be that rollercoaster, Brett Favre type, QB. Always having those head scratching plays. Gotta start winning and throwing more TDs if you expect people to tolerate those dumb throws. 

You mean winning, like today?

Sign me up for Brett Farve, btw.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Yeah but he also caught a TD and banged your mom at halftime soooo....

 

 

 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

WTF, my mother is dead you soulless piece of sh-t

And apparently Zach is souless as well... that dawg!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just a mind boggling stupid draft pick. 

Regardless of whether or not he works out the pick was fine. If you don’t have a qb you got nothing. Not like we even passed on some obvious player there. Pick ‘em untill you find them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Granted he is playing behind easily one of the worst OLs in NFL history, but he should be done after this year. He's a street ball gambler, nothing more.

He is not an NFL QB and Jets should use #1 pick on a QB next year.

 

Get lost.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Pickett threw a jump ball that got picked off on sideline. Up until that point, everyone was a “little bitch.” Congrats for being among the deeply silent tough-guy community that just knew in their very alpha-bro hearts that the Jets had a chance. We’re all fans. Don’t parachute in after an improbable win and criticize people who were reacting to the game in real time while you were hiding under the couch cushion for 55 minutes of game time. Some might consider that little-bitch behavior. 

you're so crankypants after a Jet win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I have respect for you and rather enjoy your posts. You’re just out over your skis calling anyone a bitch for thinking the Jets weren’t playing well enough to win that game. No one thought they were going to win for the far majority of it. Stating otherwise is hindsight. Claiming superiority for claiming to hold an opinion you never held in real time is clown sh*t. 

Getting a Jeff George vibe here…….give the kid credit today…..cannon arm steps into grow it’s pretty when there is confidence.  Jeff George vs Brett favre  I lean heavily towards the former but we will see.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simple way I'm looking at it is he threw a TD,  caught a TD, made some money throws, and led a game winning drive. The cherry on top is my brother in-law is a Steelers fan. We're tight so having a win after good banter and trash talk is a nice and uncommon outcome.

Some of us cant help but find and angle which leads to the negative. If you can't find a way to enjoy that win I can't help you  ... the Jets cant help you.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zack can make some good plays and still be a total question mark. Not every moment in every game is absolute proof of anything.

He left a lot bad/missed plays on the field. I don’t see the intellectual jump yet. Still waiting for the seas to part on most plays... That said, the arm talent is evident. Slinging it is not the issue. Expanding the number of throws is. He sitting on about 3 different routes he completes at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • slats changed the title to Zach Wilson is a high school quarterback (merged)
  • The Crusher locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...