Zach Wilson is a high school quarterback (merged)

Dcronin

Just now, Hex said:

He had a pretty good one to Corey Davis for a 1st down, and he threw the checkdowns well. 

Made the post at halftime. He was atrocious in the first half. Glad he improved a bit in the second but still a bad game overall. Very pleased with the win and happy Zach played better in the second half. But objectively it was an ugly performance. 

• Upvote 4

It was a 45 degree rainstorm against an elite D on the road in the first half… the GOAT managed 3 points in that environment (and should of had 2 turnovers) he managed the game and made a few huge plays in the second half. This is year 2 … I’m hoping he slowly gians confidence and can carry us later in the year 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Made the post at halftime. He was atrocious in the first half. Glad he improved a bit in the second but still a bad game overall. Very pleased with the win and happy Zach played better in the second half. But objectively it was an ugly performance. 

Agreed. Felt like rookie Zach showed up at the start. Having a 4th quarter identity is really awesome, but man we can't play badly to begin games. One of these days the defense isn't going to be lights out, and the offense is going to need to shine. 

That said, the RBs were great today, and the OL is wonderful. If Zach finds his rhythm we are in the SB conversation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just an observation but I think the difference between last year and this year was today. Wilson not on his best game today in not a great environment and instead he kept it conservative and let the rest of the team take the reins. Last year he would have thrown bombs in several of those situations. I’m not sure where this goes but at least he’s not throwing away the game.

It means he's recognizing when he's not having a great day and for an inconsistent QB that's still learning that's a pretty good thing. Hopefully he doesn't go down the Mark Sanchez path of not being able to bail out the rest of a very good but not perfect team when they inevitably mess up one day

He helped engineer 17 offensive points while Rodgers only got 10. Stats aside. Ugliness aside. He did what he had to do and no INTs or fumbles. Made a few big plays when he had to. Would love to see him dominate and throw for 400 yards but he's not there yet. I think he's capable. It's year 2 and his 16th start or so? I like where things are going.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jets won today, so let’s enjoy it, but this really isn’t the game for the Zach hive to start pounding their chests.

He outplayed Rodgers in Greenbay.  He made some key plays.  He didn’t turn the ball over.  Ran some great misdirection that lead to big running plays.  

He hung in didn’t make the big mistake and made some big plays to break their back.

Not sure why you think good teams need the QB to carry them with style points every week?   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Biggs said:

He outplayed Rodgers in Greenbay.  He made some key plays.  He didn’t turn the ball over.  Ran some great misdirection that lead to big running plays.  

He hung in didn’t make the big mistake and made some big plays to break their back.

Not sure why you think good teams need the QB to carry them with style points every week?   

Yea he did, but has a very long way to go if he’s going to be that guy. But 100% yes, did enough today. Outplayed Rodgers? Oh man. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just an observation but I think the difference between last year and this year was today. Wilson not on his best game today in not a great environment and instead he kept it conservative and let the rest of the team take the reins. Last year he would have thrown bombs in several of those situations. I’m not sure where this goes but at least he’s not throwing away the game.

Exactly. He didn’t enough without screwing up. That’s progress. Well said 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

He outplayed Rodgers in Greenbay.  

Outplayed Rodgers? I can see what you're trying to say here but the only stat Rodgers didn't have above Wilson was INTs, and they were both tied at 0. 

That said, Zach played just well enough for the RBs to be able to carry the game, and the Packers secondary was all over the WRs.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Arsis said:

He made no real mistakes aside from that one sack. Made that nice 40 yard completion and led the jets to the win on the road in Lambeau. What else do you want? Stats don't win games.

How about consistently moving the ball down the field? Are you expecting the defense to pitch a near shut out every week?

We’re 4-2, and we’re winning games easily. If I told you that would be the case before the season started you’d have called me an idiot.
I’m not a big believer in Wilson, but we need to find out if he’s the guy, right? The fact that we’re winning while we try to find out is a first world problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Until they put the clamps on him at half time, Z. Wilson's performance was as bad as I have seen since he came on board.  These are mistakes that keep getting repeated.  Holding on to the ball too long and throwing passes when he is not set that could be and should be intercepted.

Winning a game in that stadium was nice and the defense and special teams played great, but how can the Jets beat a complete team in a dogfight with Wilson playing that way ???

Also not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the Packers are yet another team with major issues.  Their offensive line is not in synergy, wide receiver corps is a mash unit and Rodgers thumb on throwing hand is banged up.

Jets have some very nice pieces in place but at this juncture, I still see Wilson as a bottleneck 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 9

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Outplayed Rodgers? I can see what you're trying to say here but the only stat Rodgers didn't have above Wilson was INTs, and they were both tied at 0. 

That said, Zach played just well enough for the RBs to be able to carry the game, and the Packers secondary was all over the WRs.

Yards per attempt there bud.  Zach leads.  Not by much... but it's there.

And since when was the Jets defense good enough to have an equal comparison?  They played a hell of a game, but it's not like the Packers were rolling over here.  And that was one of the most confusing called offensive halves I have ever seen.  It truly baffles the mind.

But he remained calm, through some good balls in the second half and the Jets ran away with the game.

No, it's not worth praising him as a franchise savior.  But the TEAM played amazing, and he didn't give the game way with stupid plays and he put the ball on target when it mattered most.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He absolutely did not out play Rodgers, its heard for me to take anything you say seriously at this stage if you really believe that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Rodgers turned the ball over Zach didn’t.   Rodgers put the ball on the turf twice and we recovered one of them.   Zach lead the team right down the field for a TD in the third quarter.  What did Rodgers do?  He sucked that’s what he did.  

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

he did NOT outplay Aaron Rodgers. he was on the winning team. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, August said:

This reminds me of rookie year Sanchez. This isn’t sustainable but I’ll take the wins for now. 

Exactly. I'm happy they won, Wilson didn't play bad today, but he didn't play well either. He's a game manager and the Jets are winning, I'm perfectly fine with that, but some of the Zach hive takes are just bizarre. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

And yet he's 3-0 this season. It's about the team. As it should be. ZW will get better. He didn't lose the game.

What these guys don’t understand is that we are establishing our identity as a run team, then Bam we will pass it