Zach Wilson was masterful the last 2 drives

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Today anyways. He’s a lot tougher than Mark and has more heart. So  who knows going forward! 

Tell me he didn’t look “like a young lad whipping bullets effortlessly in the Utah Mountains” today (TrademarkCrusher)….You Can’t.

Again, Kid has A Lot of Talent, that’s as good a starting point you can Ever have when you draft a young QB.  But since it’s the most difficult position to play in ALL sports you just don’t know how the mental side will play out (that side made Brady The GOAT)…..but I’m more than ok rolling with Wilson and the talents he has shown off so far, and see what happens.

• Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I've never seen an NFL QB with as little touch as he has.

If he is throwing mid-range missiles, he's often quite good.  And he was today, several times.  Absolutely bullets in that 15-30 yards-in-the-air type range.  If all you saw were those, you'd think the kid was a star.

But anything that isn't a bullet pass, he's horrible.  Legit horrible.  I've never seen an NFL QB miss as many easy gimmie short passes as Zach misses.  High and hard, every time, and often behind the receiver as well.  No touch, and I think it's a big part of why so many shorter passes from Zach get dropped.  I'm almost convinced of it at this point.  

I don't know if it's adrenaline, or if he just really is that inaccurate in the short game, but jeez it's seemingly night and day with him. 

If he could just hit an average amount of his short-yardage, touch-based passes, he's likely a heck of alot closer to the FQB we want that what he is today.  That's alot of completions (and completion %) and yards he's leaving on the table with that inaccuracy.

I truly hop the staff can keep working with him on this, because honestly, it's mind-boggling.  Zach is a the QB equivalent of a pitcher who can only throw 102 mph fastballs, and throws wild pitches with any other pitch he throws....he does the hard part ok/well, and the easy part not well at all.

I agree something he fires it too fast especially in those short passes.  However I give him a break considering the rust factor as well as the OL being held together by scotch tape.  The first pick was very bad but I saw a lot of things he cleaned by from last year.  Biggest thing is in crunch time he won the game 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe it clicked for the kid.  He made huge throw after huge throw thd last 2 drives.

Zach led us to victory.  The young kid blossomed before our eyes.

This was the proverbial QB taking the team on his shoulders and guiding them to victory. With the oline issues today, getting behind by 10, and the fans going nuts with Picket in there, there are not many QBs that could have won that game with the shape the Oline was in.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I've never seen an NFL QB with as little touch as he has.

If he is throwing mid-range missiles, he's often quite good.  And he was today, several times.  Absolutely bullets in that 15-30 yards-in-the-air type range.  If all you saw were those, you'd think the kid was a star.

But anything that isn't a bullet pass, he's horrible.  Legit horrible.  I've never seen an NFL QB miss as many easy gimmie short passes as Zach misses.  High and hard, every time, and often behind the receiver as well.  No touch, and I think it's a big part of why so many shorter passes from Zach get dropped.  I'm almost convinced of it at this point.  

I don't know if it's adrenaline, or if he just really is that inaccurate in the short game, but jeez it's seemingly night and day with him. 

If he could just hit an average amount of his short-yardage, touch-based passes, he's likely a heck of alot closer to the FQB we want that what he is today.  That's alot of completions (and completion %) and yards he's leaving on the table with that inaccuracy.

I truly hop the staff can keep working with him on this, because honestly, it's mind-boggling.  Zach is a the QB equivalent of a pitcher who can only throw 102 mph fastballs, and throws wild pitches with any other pitch he throws....he does the hard part ok/well, and the easy part not well at all.

agreed 

but this still gives me a sliver of hope 

the stuff that Wilson doesn’t do well or consistently can be improved with hard work and confidence - and they say he works hard and has confidence. Maybe that’s hogwash? Don’t know. 

also - these sort of wins can give young players confidence. Wilson in the 4th Q reminded me a little of Josh Allen in the 4th against us in week 1 of 2019. Allen was awful for 3 quarters of that game and then balled in the 4th.

That was also the first start of his second year 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe it clicked for the kid.  He made huge throw after huge throw thd last 2 drives.

Zach led us to victory.  The young kid blossomed before our eyes.

He was clutch today. Blossomed may be a bit getting ahead of ourselves but this was a great first step. Zach made plays and lifted the team. 

40 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Looked mature, settled in the 2nd half. Money on 3rd down, orchestrated a really nice comeback and made some crazy good throws. Haters can take their precious stat line and f*** off, kid passed the eye test today.

Only stat the matters are Wins and to top it off a 4th qtr comeback that is great for the QB to be able to do that because in the NFL you need that a lot.

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I agree something he fires it too fast especially in those short passes.  However I give him a break considering the rust factor as well as the OL being held together by scotch tape.  The first pick was very bad but I saw a lot of things he cleaned by from last year.  Biggest thing is in crunch time he won the game 

I haven't crunched the numbers (and probably won't, because I don't need to convince myself at this point), but I'd wager they show that Zach was exceptional on passes thrown in the mid-range (15-30'ish) when thrown on a rope, directly at the receiver.

And that we was close to god awful on everything else.  

Trust me, beating the Steelers is f'ing AWESOME, and in no way am I not ecstatic with this outcome.  One of the things I hate most about the Jets is the futility against teams from PA, especially given how many Steeler/Eagle Fans reside in the DC area.  So I am VERY happy right now.  2-2 means we're still in contention in October, for the first time since (it feels like) 2015.

But I'm also a realist, and this is by far the weakest/worst Steelers team I can recall, and Zach will need to do much better to defeat other, better teams, like all of our AFC East rivals, for example.  

So we'll see.  The Phish will be a MUCH more interesting test/game if Tua is back by then.  

Of course, the D.....ugh, not sure I want to see this Jets D vs. a legit high-powered NFL Offense.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I haven't crunched the numbers (and probably won't, because I don't need to convince myself at this point), but I'd wager they show that Zach was exceptional on passes thrown in the mid-range (15-30'ish) when thrown on a rope, directly at the receiver.

And that we was close to god awful on everything else.  

Trust me, beating the Steelers is f'ing AWESOME, and in no way am I not ecstatic with this outcome.  One of the things I hate most about the Jets is the futility against teams from PA, especially given how many Steeler/Eagle Fans reside in the DC area.  So I am VERY happy right now.  2-2 means we're still in contention in October, for the first time since (it feels like) 2015.

But I'm also a realist, and this is by far the weakest/worst Steelers team I can recall, and Zach will need to do much better to defeat other, better teams, like all of our AFC East rivals, for example.  

So we'll see.  The Phish will be a MUCH more interesting test/game if Tua is back by then.  

Of course, the D.....ugh, not sure I want to see this Jets D vs. a legit high-powered NFL Offense.

But again I think rust played a big factor too.  Made some bad decisions but he also showed better decisions that he didn’t show last year.  Missing all our tackles the my main concern 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Tell me he didn’t look “like a young lad whipping bullets effortlessly in the Utah Mountains” today (TrademarkCrusher)….You Can’t.

Again, Kid has A Lot of Talent, that’s as good a starting point you can Ever have when you draft a young QB.  But since it’s the most difficult position to play in ALL sports you just don’t know how the mental side will play out (that side made Brady The GOAT)…..but I’m more than ok rolling with Wilson and the talents he has shown off so far, and see what happens.

Clutch today. Looking forward to next week. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If you’re not in on the Zach Wilson bandwagon by now there’s no more room for you. It’s obvious the kid is a star. Fix the offensive line and this offense will flourish 

He made one bad read/decision in my opinion. That INT at the end of the first half. Had a couple of other throws that were off the mark or slightly high. All in all, not bad for a guy playing in his 14th NFL game and the first one in a year. At the same time, he continues to show all the reasons why the Jets drafted him. The arm is great and you can’t teach that escapability. He bailed out the offensive line from having a 6 sack game. His resilience and leadership at the end of the game was good to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

But again I think rust played a big factor too.

Certainly possible.  The next few weeks will at least in part tell that tale.  So TBD, to be sure.

Made some bad decisions but he also showed better decisions that he didn’t show last year.

"Flashes", lol.  We need to see fewer of those bad decisions (and wildly missed short throws) for Zach to truly take the "next step". 

But as above, TBD at current.

Missing all our tackles the my main concern 

Nothing can be done.  But when everyone is wanking off JD for his brilliance in team building, remember, this O-line is what he built.  Fragile all around.  One year is a fluke.  Two years is unlucky perhaps.  Several years running.....thats poor constuction/design.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The arm is great and you can’t teach that escapability.

Zach today in a nutshell.  He escaped several times where it seemed very unlikely, and it may have been one of his best games (oddly enough) at showcasing the very strong arm with those intermediate 15-30 yard missiles he threw today.

These aspects, these are not his problem.  

• Upvote 3

I’m no QB coach like so many on this site.

But to me, the one huge difference between Zach and Sam, and Mark is his feet. He doesn’t have happy feet. Like the other two did.

To me, that means he can process things much more quicker and calmer.

But, I’m no QB coach like so many on this site seem to be.

Great character win today. That’s all that matters. We’re 2-2 with a Tualess Miami game next week.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Certainly possible.  The next few weeks will at least in part tell that tale.  So TBD, to be sure.

"Flashes", lol.  We need to see fewer of those bad decisions (and wildly missed short throws) for Zach to truly take the "next step". 

But as above, TBD at current.

Nothing can be done.  But when everyone is wanking off JD for his brilliance in team building, remember, this O-line is what he built.  Fragile all around.  One year is a fluke.  Two years is unlucky perhaps.  Several years running.....thats poor constuction/design.

I admitted he made some poor decisions in particular the first pick.  Select QBs make no mistakes.  I think Wilson will clean those up with more experience but hey if he ends the games like he did today then I could give a rats ass if he has a couple mistakes in the first half lol

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Given that a number of his 'incompletions' were drops and at least one of his 2 INTs was a bad tip, I'd say he had a pretty damned good day.

But stats don't lie. A tipped ball interception makes him just as bad as hitting a defender in the #s. A dropped pass - any of them - is the same as missing an open receiver by a couple yards. Because stats & stuff.

It's his first full game since all his starting WR were on IR last season. Then as he was warming up over the summer he had another interruption & missed the first 3 games this year.

I wouldn't anoint him as anything at this point, but there's no need to either. If some want to break down a game to stats, with this many downfield drops - one of them popping off a veteran receiver's hands into a defender's - people can go ahead if it provides them further entertainment value. The team was inconsistent with some bad neck-up play all over the field; it was hardly limited to any QB snaps.  

Just take the win and, at least for now, I'm willing to write off the lack of rhythm to rust + inconsistency on the OL + less than the best-ever play called from the Jets' booth. If every game looks ugly, then see what the opportunities are in March. In the meantime, this is supposed to be entertaining and to feel good about it when they pull it out at the end.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, doitny said:

really good last drive. but his 1st 3 qts were as bad as you can get. lets hope that was rust. i love the win but a better team and QB would have beat us bad. he has to be better the whole game.

Well he missed the first 3 games as well as a huge chunk of preseason so of course he had rust.  Like Jim Mora once said “Woulda Coulda Shoulda doesn’t matter” at the end of the day Zach came up big in the 4th quarter and helped win the game 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach today in a nutshell.  He escaped several times where it seemed very unlikely, and it may have been one of his best games (oddly enough) at showcasing the very strong arm with those intermediate 15-30 yard missiles he threw today.

These aspects, these are not his problem.  

Yup, he seems to be one of those guys where we may need to accept some of the bad in order to get the great things he can do. He’s going to make the occasional bad decision. He’s going to dirt some balls or throw some high ones. The coaches need to help him minimize those things so that they only pop up occasionally. If he does less of that then I am 100% convinced that the good will far outweigh the bad. He still has not completed one full season’s worth of games yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’m convinced if Zach becomes a star he will be more Farve than Rodgers

We probably will have to live with the occasional bonehead int and short ranged rocket ball miss but he will make up for it in the big time throw category 

It was a good game by the kid though overall and hope he can stack good games moving forward 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I understand that and a much better team. But  Zach stunk until clutch time today. Mark’s best play was crunch time and post season. The fact he hung in and pulled it out behind that O line too day  speaks more to heart and balls to me than anything else to me. Great start. More than I expected. 

He started out very well, and he had a very bad stretch, but he finished incredibly well, overcame some awful penalties, terrible line play, and at times very questionable playcalling. Im not sold that he is the guy, but he showed some balls in the 4th quarter, he hung tight with a bad line and delivered some very accurate and very clutch passes. I dont think he stunk in the beginning of the game at all.