Zach Wilson was masterful the last 2 drives

2 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

We still don't know if he is our FQB. But, he looked steady down the stretch. And prior to the injury, all reports were that he was coming along nicely. 

Last week most here and in the media would have ranked him outside the top-30 starting QBs in the league.

Now?  let's just say he's moved up a few slots.  Which is fine for now.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, rbstern said:

I'm a Wilson fan, but the issue is consistency.  There are ton of guys who can lead great drives, have one great game (Mike White, you out there?).  The difference between those guys and franchise QBs is the ability to do it week in, week out.

It's early yet.  He shouldn't be either condemned or crowned.  The body of work is still too small to know if he's "the guy."

Exactly. Many people have made up their minds already about the kid. He's played 14 NFL games. Consistency is the issue for sure. I think we will know more after this season and that's just fine. He did make some poor throws but he manned up when it counted so I will give him credit for that. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

He was terrible!

Outside of prior AP accolades with Baltimore, and his preposterous contract thanks to Gase/MacStupid, I don't understand why anyone thinks he's anything other than a scrub. He is just awful and has been at least 90% awful since returning to full-time play from last year through today. He's late to the play, he is absolutely not a sure tackler, he gets juked, he's slow, he's in the wrong place at an impossible rate for such a veteran, and the best he has going for him is the Jets don't have any other obvious MLBs because he was uncuttable until his guaranteed money ran out. But he's a below-average player at this stage.

I wouldn't want them to keep him for 2023 even if he was willing to take an 80% pay cut from that $17MM base salary he has coming up.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That's all beautiful and I am a convinced fan of this talented, if fragile qb; but rating qbs  on a specific quarter of football that they excelled in, in the midst of one of three other mediocre quarters...is gleefully rubbing the magic lantern hard for Alladin wishes.

• WTF? 1

He started off great and had a great 4th quarter. The whole team needs to learn how to play complete football and I really hope that isn't a theme all season. 

He clearly has a special arm but I counted 4 throws he missed to receivers that have to be made. Not counting the drops or any throws he didn't take. I think there is hope with Zach Wilson long term but completing only 50% of your passes is not going to make him the long term QB. He's still missing throws he needs to make. But he made some big time throws for big gains that made up for it today.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Looked mature, settled in the 2nd half. Money on 3rd down, orchestrated a really nice comeback and made some crazy good throws. Haters can take their precious stat line and f*** off, kid passed the eye test today.

plus it was his first game without much practice - I expected him to gain confidence as the game went on. It takes reps to see the field better and he hasn't had many of them - had to get used to running for his life. After everyone settled down the talent of Zach came out. Especially that amazing pass to GW on 3rd down - not many QBs in the league could make that pass.

• Sympathy 1

Would it kill the Jets to just throw a bomb down the sidelines and keep the defense honest?

That said, Zach was clutch those last few drives. I couldnt believe it. Hopefully it wasnt a fluke. I still saw same ol' tendencies from him though, throughout the game. So time will tell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I've never seen an NFL QB with as little touch as he has.

If he is throwing mid-range missiles, he's often quite good.  And he was today, several times.  Absolutely bullets in that 15-30 yards-in-the-air type range.  If all you saw were those, you'd think the kid was a star.

But anything that isn't a bullet pass, he's horrible.  Legit horrible.  I've never seen an NFL QB miss as many easy gimmie short passes as Zach misses.  High and hard, every time, and often behind the receiver as well.  No touch, and I think it's a big part of why so many shorter passes from Zach get dropped.  I'm almost convinced of it at this point.  

I don't know if it's adrenaline, or if he just really is that inaccurate in the short game, but jeez it's seemingly night and day with him. 

If he could just hit an average amount of his short-yardage, touch-based passes, he's likely a heck of alot closer to the FQB we want that what he is today.  That's alot of completions (and completion %) and yards he's leaving on the table with that inaccuracy.

I truly hope the staff can keep working with him on this, because honestly, it's mind-boggling.  Zach is a the QB equivalent of a pitcher who can only throw 102 mph fastballs, and throws wild pitches with any other off-speed pitch he throws....he does the hard part ok/well, and the easy part not well at all.

It’s strange because he has lots of tape from BYU hitting throws from varying speeds, arm angles, in the pocket, on the move.

I think you’re right about the adrenaline.  He’s amped up too much while trying to get his pro legs under him.

BYU he had zero problem hitting short stuff and using touch to lead a back out for big gains on well set up screens.

I’ll sign up for “does the hard part well but not the easy stuff” every day of the week.  I think he’ll correct the easy stuff soon.  When he was all amped up in his first games last year he was actually dirting the easiest of passes and this board was in meltdown over it.  When he came back after injury, that part of his game was corrected and back to what it had always been in college.  He Never dirted short passes at BYU.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

That 4th quarter was impressive.  I was ready to give up.  But big 3rd downs and big 4th downs, overcoming penalties, etc.  He was erratic for the first 3 quarters, I still hate his footwork and some of his tendencies when evading the rush, he seemed late a lot but I'll give him the rust excuse, 1st game back, etc. but I'd really like to see he's capable of cleaning that stuff up.  That said, dude just led a comeback in Pittsburgh, what a great experience.  His confidence should be soaring and I'm hoping he earned some trust from the team.  D came up with a huge stop to give him the opportunity and he delivered.  Hoping that could be a catalyst for both sides of the ball. 

Well said sweet one. I just wish we had the line from the last half of last season. Be helpful I think, 

• Upvote 2

Archuletta said the second int wasn't his fault.

The two TEs the fat bald bastid brought in haven't

shown up in the passing game.  His best play

was recovering the throw back to him and heaving it

out of bound saving yardage. Promising start after

missing all the exhibition season and first three in  the season

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

That 4th quarter was impressive.  I was ready to give up.  But big 3rd downs and big 4th downs, overcoming penalties, etc.  He was erratic for the first 3 quarters, I still hate his footwork and some of his tendencies when evading the rush, he seemed late a lot but I'll give him the rust excuse, 1st game back, etc. but I'd really like to see he's capable of cleaning that stuff up.  That said, dude just led a comeback in Pittsburgh, what a great experience.  His confidence should be soaring and I'm hoping he earned some trust from the team.  D came up with a huge stop to give him the opportunity and he delivered.  Hoping that could be a catalyst for both sides of the ball. 

That was a big dick Joe Burrow performance down the stretch.  

Zach has a lot of "chicken with it's head cut off" chaos in him.  He seems to thrive in it though.  He was constantly in 2nd and long with no time to do anything.  All he did was man up and get the job done.  Unfortunately I'm not sure it's sustainable.  They HAVE to figure out ways to give him time.  

I don't know if this mean he's going to be the one we've been waiting a very long time for, but today was a GREAT start! 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

That's all beautiful and I am a convinced fan of this talented, if fragile qb; but rating qbs  on a specific quarter of football that they excelled in, in the midst of one of three other mediocre quarters...is gleefully rubbing the magic lantern hard for Alladin wishes.

Every great NFL QB including Tom Brady rep were built on game winning drives.  

• Upvote 1