Zach Wilson was masterful the last 2 drives

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Outside of prior AP accolades with Baltimore, and his preposterous contract thanks to Gase/MacStupid, I don't understand why anyone thinks he's anything other than a scrub. He is just awful and has been at least 90% awful since returning to full-time play from last year through today. He's late to the play, he is absolutely not a sure tackler, he gets juked, he's slow, he's in the wrong place at an impossible rate for such a veteran, and the best he has going for him is the Jets don't have any other obvious MLBs because he was uncuttable until his guaranteed money ran out. But he's a below-average player at this stage.

I wouldn't want them to keep him for 2023 even if he was willing to take an 80% pay cut from that $17MM base salary he has coming up.

Sick of him. All his tackles are made after giving up the first down and more.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, usapaw said:

What about the rest of the game? He needs a lot of progress before I buy in. 

All QBs even the great Tom Brady, have bad quarters and bad games. What Zach did in the 4th is very important. 

I agree the offense as a whole needs to be more consistent but it doesn't all fall on Zach's shoulders. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Every great NFL QB including Tom Brady rep were built on game winning drives.  

Tom Brady, much like Peyton Manning's post-rookie year stats and Mekhi Becton's rookie measurables, are complete outliers... not representative of the NFL norms.

Yet, we're paid up members of the same Zach team. Let's see what broadway looks like after the last of the ticker tape has been swept up by the  street sweepers, and the crowds have gone home to the Bronx and Staten Island. Here's hoping it all works out. You and I have the same Zach'tastic dreams.

He was pretty shaky for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters.  I was feeling pretty sick to my stomach watching him run around and dirt swing passes.  

The kid stepped up.  He found a way to not let the pressure crush him.   That was a big dick Joe Burrow performance down the stretch.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

46 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

All QBs even the great Tom Brady, have bad quarters and bad games. What Zach did in the 4th is very important. 

I agree the offense as a whole needs to be more consistent but it doesn't all fall on Zach's shoulders. 

Tom Brady...really?

5 hours ago, hawk said:

He is too worried about making plays or better yet highlight reel plays.  He needs to stay in the pocket longer and stop with these ridiculous scrambles.  Keep your eyes down field.

I made comment in the game thread about short yardage passing and after he looked like much better, however, that area needs to improve above all else imo.

Dude you see our offensive line for most of this game???  Stay in the pocket longer?  Are you serious lol.  He was running for his life on most of those.    How about our OL give just a few seconds to stand tall in the pocket for more drives than just the last two of the game.   Sure he has stuff to work on but if you didn't take notice of how horrible the OL play was most of the game (both run and pass blocking) I am not sure what you were watching. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Dude you see our offensive line for most of this game???  Stay in the pocket longer?  Are you serious lol.  He was running for his life on most of those.    How about our OL give just a few seconds to stand tall in the pocket for more drives than just the last two of the game.   Sure he has stuff to work on but if you didn't take notice of how horrible the OL play was most of the game (both run and pass blocking) I am not sure what you were watching. 

I saw a struggling OLine that gave up some heat.  I also saw a guy who bailed out to early far to many times.  Most with a spin away from the Offensive line.  This is also not exclusive to this game.  

If your not seeing that, I am not sure what you are watching. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe it clicked for the kid.  He made huge throw after huge throw thd last 2 drives.

Zach led us to victory.  The young kid blossomed before our eyes.

Love the optimism…..I see this going 2 ways you have seen a lot of football.   Do we have Jeff George or Brett Favre……time will tell 

33 minutes ago, hawk said:

I saw a struggling OLine that gave up some heat.  I also saw a guy who bailed out to early far to many times.  Most with a spin away from the Offensive line.  This is also not exclusive to this game.  

We not watching the same game. He bailed when he had no choice.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

This Pittsburgh game gets filed, neatly, in the same folder containing last years game where he had The Goat beaten for 59:30 before the Jet D caved on the final drive.  Wilson was playing with Berrios as his #1 WR and with No RBs, Carter hurt early, yet he still managed to go   toe to toe with Brady against Tampa’s #4 D All game long and the Only way he could accomplish that was to make pinpoint throws all game long, which he did.

I mentioned a bunch of times in the off-season that going forward he would have to duplicate that game on a somewhat consistent basis and if he could there is no denying he is a Franchise QB, if he can’t and it was just a Flash, then the Jets would have to start looking elsewhere for another QB.

I don’t think that will be the case.  I think Wilson has just about every attribute to be a star in this league.  I know I was fooled by Darnold buying into the last 4 games of his rookie season (about the last time he played really well), but on the flip side I not only wanted the Jets to draft Mahomes but projected that he would take over the league by storm when they started him, like Marino in his rookie season.

Darnold doesn’t have Half the skills Wilson has on Darnold’s best day.

I hated drafting Sanchez the day they did.  I wasn’t too happy with Pennington because I saw the limitations right away years before he was hurt.  Richard Todd was never going to measure up to the other QB the Jets drafted out of Alabama.  OBrien had a great arm but No feel in the pocket and made that even worse because he couldn’t move, at all.

The last QB the Jets drafted with this much raw talent before Wilson was Joe Namath.

Not guaranteeing anything about what Wilson will do in the future but I think his ceiling is as high or higher than just about any young QB in the league.  Hopefully he will realize it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Kid has all the talent in the world 

just has to calm himself down in these games 

gets nervous, IMO

In fairness to Zach, I'm 4,000 miles away on my sofa and I start getting jittery when I see Conor McGovern step on the field.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rbstern said:

I'm a Wilson fan, but the issue is consistency.  There are ton of guys who can lead great drives, have one great game (Mike White, you out there?).  The difference between those guys and franchise QBs is the ability to do it week in, week out.

It's early yet.  He shouhdn't be either condemned or crowned.  The body of work is still too small to know if he's "the guy."

Wow....what a even....Level headed response....please ban.

I think Corey Davis deserves credit too. He was money in the 4th quarter. I've been down on Davis from day 1, becasue I think they overpaid for a possession WR, but I do think that he (or a WR of his ilk) is the perfect compliment to Wilson and Moore -- Big and Physical - and not a prima donna who will complain if Wilson and Moore get more targets. The fact is, for the first time since Holmes and Edwards played WR for the Jets, opposing DC's are wondering how in the heck can they cover the Jets WRs. It is truly tragic that the Jets prioritized building an O line over accumulating skill players and injuries have decimated the team at OT for 2 years in a row. Just imagine what this O would look like with a healthy Becton and Fant on the O line --- and how great the jets run game would look running to the right side behind Becton and AVT? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

Somebody is BIG MAD! ???

I wonder if Minkah felt the same way after his Steelers beat a more talented Bengals team thanks to a missed extra point and a missed chip shot FG, after an injury to their long snapper.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I wonder if Minkah felt the same way after his Steelers beat a more talented Bengals team thanks to a missed extra point and a missed chip shot FG, after an injury to their long snapper.

Leave Minkah alone until he emerges from the hurt feelings tent.

I'm happy about the win but I don't see why the offense has to wait for the last quarter to look like an offense serious about putting points on the board. Most of the game the tempo is slow and everything looks just a less focused until the end. With a team full of young players it seems like a missed opportunity to turn up the speed. Regardless of player tenure, the whole team seems to lack motivation and focus through most of the game. It felt last year like the offense slow played the whole season until the last few games when LaFleur opened up the playbook. 

I don't know if it's LaFleur's scheme or Saleh doesn't motivate the team and counts on everybody to feel like their back is against the wall to perform their best. No matter the cause, it's going to be tough breaking .500 always starting the fourth quarter behind. We can't count on every team to cough up big plays at the end of the game. 

17 hours ago, hawk said:

So you don't think him missing all preseason, and the first three games and the oline playing like crap had anything to do with it?  Do you realize those bail outs would have been sacks with Flacco under center???   His mobility is what this team was missing.  Does he need to make quicker decisions on some of those scrambles?  Sure he does but again, IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME BACK.   If he is still doing this 5-6 games from now then lets talk.  

I can tell what I'm watching; someone with the ability to extend plays with his legs; who is still rusty FROM NOT PLAYING ANY FOOTBALL FOR 2 MONTHS.  I am watching a young quarterback making a few mistakes but who also made some great plays when they counted and when given time, stepped up in the pocket and delivered some GREAT throws.     Sorry if the guy didn't meet all your standards of excellence this game or so far in his young career.  I choose to focus on what he did right.    

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Absolutely.  And Pickett was no better with his laughing in our faces.  So glad we beat them.

Yeah that bothered me.  He thinks he’s in a great situation because he’s from Pittsburgh and now he’s playing there.  But mark my words they’re going to turn on him…..the guy is going to bust.  He made a couple decent throws yesterday, but I’m not impressed now or when he was drafted.

If you can only be good for 2 drives, make sure they are the last ones!

Now I'm back to what I wanted to see the second half of last year -- a signature game where he puts it all together and is the best player on the field for a game. Just one. Shouldn't be a tall order to deliver one this season.