Huge shoutout to AVT!

BCJet

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

If I'm thinking about the same play, it looked to me more like Zach panicked and ran between the gap into danger, when really the protection was fine.

It was an early play and iirc the only place to go was further backwards. He tried to step up & slide between the G and T, but couldn't. Of course if he'd run backwards that would've been bad, too, and it's easy for me with my remote on my sofa to say where he should've gone instead.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was an early play and iirc the only place to go was further backwards. He tried to step up & slide between the G and T, but couldn't. Of course if he'd run backwards that would've been bad, too, and it's easy for me with my remote on my sofa to say where he should've gone instead.

My point was it didn't look like he needed to go anywhere at all, but I'd need another look at the play, I guess.

• Upvote 1

I have never heard of a RG moving to LT after 3 practices.  Absolutely amazing.

And how about Saleh and the coaching staff keeping that under wraps?  Steelers probably game planned all week to bombard McDermott with rushes and then Saleh puts AVT there and foils there plans.

Amazing job by AVT and Saleh.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have never heard of a RT moving to LT after 3 practices.  Absolutely amazing.

And how about Saleh and the coaching staff keeping that under wraps?  Steelers probably game planned all week to bombard McDermott with rushes and then Saleh puts AVT there and foils there plans.

Amazing job by AVT and Saleh.

RG, Joe. RG. Gotta be unprecedented. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, freestater said:

RG, Joe. RG. Gotta be unprecedented. 

Larry Allen says hello. He actually moved from RG to LT for the Cowboys for the final 7 games of the 1997 season.

Of course, he's only the best OG of all time and in the conversation for best OL of all time, so no big thing. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He played more than just this one snap, but that first sack that got credited to Mitchell was really on Herbig. He doesn't get pushed backwards into Wilson's face in <1 second then Wilson doesn't have to move & abandon the pass play before anyone's had the time to run 5 yards downfield.

He settled in better as the game went on. I'd say most of the rest was not doing bad more than necessarily doing good, but how many of us had been giving Mitchell cyber-handobs for the same for the prior 3 weeks? 

Anyway I'd rather have Herbig - or someone else - at RG than McDermott at LT. It'll be easier still to manage if Brown comes back to practice this week.

Our best 5 at this point involved Herbig.  The issue is that if Duane Brown is able to play, then im not sure its smart to put AVT at RT and Brown cannot play RT.  Hermanns is also a career LT (90% of his college snaps were at LT) so maybe AVT can do it, but thats a lot of hand-eye coordination to change week to week if he moves to RT

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Given his value and potential....I think we strongly consider moving him to RT long term.

It's easier and cheaper to find a RG than a RT and AVT will be getting a big pay day in a couple of years.

He might be our best LT.  A position he has played well before.  Why would you move him to RT now where he has never played?

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He might be our best LT.  A position he has played well before.  Why would you move him to RT now where he has never played?

Right or Left would work.

But for this season with Brown and then Fant presumably coming back and Max Mitchell possibly missing significant time...we will need a RT.

19 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

AVT has short arms. He’s not physically built to be a LT at the NFL level, but due to his excellent technique and style, he can keep his head above water - but not ideal long term 

Jets should extend him next year when eligible. He’s a cornerstone; all the more so now by exemplifying Next Man Up!

I definitely did not like the trade up for him at the time, but he has clearly proven to be a great football player. I agree, I would look to extend him sooner rather than later. Prices are only going to go up, and he’s demonstrated that he deserves to be here long term and get paid to do so.  

I thought when they moved him to RG that part of the plan was to acclimate him to be ready to take over at RT in an emergency situation, especially given that Becton and Fant are both LTs. Obviously, the emergency got worse. I’d like to see him back inside, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if he plays some RT when Brown comes back. I’d rather have Herbig in there at OG than McDermott at OT. 

• Upvote 2

Was it announced before the game that the Jets were going to start AVT at LT and I just missed it? Because when I turned on the game and saw 75 at LT my first thought was "Holy sh*t. BALLSY move by the coaching staff!". Of course, I wished it had never come to that, but I have to give the CS props for making that call and the kid stepped up in a BIG way.

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

My new life plan:

Step 1: Put on about 90 lbs.

Step 2: Step in for the Jets at LT.

I can definitely wade into step 1 :)

My new life plan:

Step 1: Lose about 90 lbs.

Step2: Step in for Jets as LT.

I'm gonna eat before getting started. 

• Haha 2

From a Cannizzaro article about Max Mitchell being out for weeks now due to knee injury:

Mitchell is just the latest tackle to go down with injury for the Jets and what the offensive line will look like this week is unclear. Alijah Vera-Tucker started at left tackle on Sunday against the Steelers for the first time in his career and Saleh gave him rave reviews. Duane Brown, who has been out with a shoulder injury, is eligible to come off IR this week, but Saleh said the team has not made the decision whether to activate him yet. 

We’re going to put the best five on the football field whoever that might be however we have to do it,” Saleh said. “I thought AVT was fantastic. It is not easy to move positions along the offensive line. I think he did a great job showing his versatility and his mindset.” 

(Max Mitchell is carted off the field during the Jets’ win over the Steelers. Getty Images)

Saleh said Vera-Tucker has actually been working after practice for a few weeks on preparing to play tackle if needed. Saleh called it a “worst-case scenario” but that became a reality when George Fant went down last week, joining Brown and Mekhi Becton on IR.