End of 1st Half was Unacceptable

32 minutes ago, FL Green Blood said:

Hello everyone, I have long followed these topics and finally taking the plunge into participating. I am very happy with the win, the 4th Q resiliency, and players like Zach Wilson and Corey Davis really showing up in the 4th Q as well as finally the D stepping up in a big moment and causing a turnover when we needed the ball back. However, then end of the first half bothers me as it was the type of sequence that separates the great coaches from the mediocre and the bad ones.

We have the ball around the Pitt 30 yard line approaching halftime with 2 offenses playing putrid football. Zach looks like he of last year holding the ball too long and back peddling to evade the pass rush rather than stepping up in the pocket to create an extra split second and delivering the ball. With the 2 offenses playing that way, we could have run the ball or taken a short, low risk pass and kicked the FG and been up 13-3 going into halftime. Instead, we throw the ball downfield and INT. To follow that. we commit a 15 yard RTP play that results in a long FG and a 6 point swing. These are the little JET things that often result in losses instead of wins. Do we even practice avoiding 15yd penalties?

There are a handful of things coaches need to do to change the outcome of games. Understanding when to go for it on 4th down, when to throw the challenge flag, clock management at end of half and game (The demise of Herm Edwards existence), and halftime adjustments. Saleh has been good on 4th downs, mediocre on challenge flags, questionable on time management, and poor on halftime adjustments and accountability. Still too many dumb mistakes like 15 yard penalties or lousy starting field position with Special Teams penalties and poor return decisions.

I hope Saleh improves. However, in conclusion, if we see more 4th Q Zach and less 1st 3 Q's Zach, this team has the potential to play consistent winning football. If Belichek/Brady has taught us anything, it is that the QB position in football is the most important position in all of team sports and supersedes the skillset of the head coach.

Enjoy critiquing my analysis.

Bleeding Green from the sunny state of SW FL.

I needed this win today as my home flooded.

Hope things get back to normal for you. 

As for the post. I don't  really disagree  with it but conversely,  the things you brought up as you said are things that caused us to lose other games. We all felt the Jets had no margin for error, but maybe we now have enough play makers to overcome  that stuff. 

Oh, and Hall, hold the freaking ball with two hands by the GL

47 minutes ago, FL Green Blood said:

Hello everyone, I have long followed these topics and finally taking the plunge into participating. I am very happy with the win, the 4th Q resiliency, and players like Zach Wilson and Corey Davis really showing up in the 4th Q as well as finally the D stepping up in a big moment and causing a turnover when we needed the ball back. However, then end of the first half bothers me as it was the type of sequence that separates the great coaches from the mediocre and the bad ones.

We have the ball around the Pitt 30 yard line approaching halftime with 2 offenses playing putrid football. Zach looks like he of last year holding the ball too long and back peddling to evade the pass rush rather than stepping up in the pocket to create an extra split second and delivering the ball. With the 2 offenses playing that way, we could have run the ball or taken a short, low risk pass and kicked the FG and been up 13-3 going into halftime. Instead, we throw the ball downfield and INT. To follow that. we commit a 15 yard RTP play that results in a long FG and a 6 point swing. These are the little JET things that often result in losses instead of wins. Do we even practice avoiding 15yd penalties?

There are a handful of things coaches need to do to change the outcome of games. Understanding when to go for it on 4th down, when to throw the challenge flag, clock management at end of half and game (The demise of Herm Edwards existence), and halftime adjustments. Saleh has been good on 4th downs, mediocre on challenge flags, questionable on time management, and poor on halftime adjustments and accountability. Still too many dumb mistakes like 15 yard penalties or lousy starting field position with Special Teams penalties and poor return decisions.

I hope Saleh improves. However, in conclusion, if we see more 4th Q Zach and less 1st 3 Q's Zach, this team has the potential to play consistent winning football. If Belichek/Brady has taught us anything, it is that the QB position in football is the most important position in all of team sports and supersedes the skillset of the head coach.

So sorry to hear about your home being flooded. Those photos of the Florida destruction are devastating. Courage to you, fellow Jets fan, going forward.

Hope things get back to normal for you. 
As for the post. I don't  really disagree  with it but conversely,  the things you brought up as you said are things that caused us to lose other games. We all felt the Jets had no margin for error, but maybe we now have enough play makers to overcome  that stuff. 
Oh, and Hall, hold the freaking ball with two hands by the GL

Why? He broke the plane and scored the game winning TD. At that point, 2 hands protecting the ball, he comes up short. That was the ballgame, FG & tie, who knows if we win.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

while I agree that the first half was unacceptable (I would say the first 3 quarters), but a win is a win. Hopefully, Zach will settle down a bit in the next few games and the OC will start adjusting the plays/scheme to fit to his strengths better.

You could tell how hyped up Zach was as his throws were riffled in or sailing most of the game. It was his first game back hopefully he will settle a bit and he got the win, so all is forgiven .... (for now).

1 hour ago, FL Green Blood said:

Sorry to hear about the flood 

try to enjoy the win and best of luck!

I had this happen to me years ago and it was one of the worst experiences of my life 

Hope everything goes well with your home. You are % correct with the end of 1st half, run the ball kick the FG, go up 13-3 plus we get the kickoff in 2 nd half. That Lawson play should have never happened. That’s the Sh1t that drives me insane about this team.. However I will gladly take the W..and can finally say the year is not over by Columbus Day

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Why? He broke the plane and scored the game winning TD. At that point, 2 hands protecting the ball, he comes up short. That was the ballgame, FG & tie, who knows if we win.

He was lucky this time. It wasn't  like he stuck the whole football over the line. I think he fumbled by the goal line last week also

He was lucky this time. It wasn't  like he stuck the whole football over the line. I think he fumbled by the goal line last week also

He doesn’t need to cross the line, just the nose of the ball break the plane. It’s a judgement call within that split second and that can’t be taken away from a player. As I mentioned earlier, 2 hands on the ball when running through the line, but extending the ball for the TD within reason is what running backs do at the goal line!