Pats just lost. 1-3. Jets are better. Finally

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The version is happy enough that the Jets actually won a football game for the 2nd time in the first 4 weeks without qualifying why unhappiness is truly what’s in order.

Yes I can see how that’d be very irritating.

I’ll make a subtle penis joke for you to laugh at soon enough. I got your back. ;) 

In 2013, the Jets were 8-8 but had a -97 point differential, 6th worst in the league.  They went on to go 4-12 the next season.  How fun were those wins in 2013 in hindsight?

We went through this in 2019 with Gase too.  An inflated W-L record despite the team looking horrid on gamedays time and again (outscored by 83 points that season).  

If it weren't for this franchise doing this to us year after year, sure, I'd be able to celebrate a win like this.  But instead I'm just bracing for the other shoe to drop.  

Give me a good reason to be optimistic that this time will be different and maybe I'll change my tune.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but playing like the team has in the first 4 games, as a whole, is not sustainable.  Twice, this team has overcome 90+% odds of a loss in the final 8 minutes of a game to win.  That demonstrates resiliency, yes, and you take the W's where you can get them.  But in future games regression is to be expected and they can't count on wins after 3+ quarters of overall poor play.  Especially as the schedule gets more difficult (we still play Buffalo 2x, @ DEN, @ MIN, @ GB, plus some games on the schedule look tougher than they did prior, like the Jaguars, Lions, and Seahawks).  

In short; this is a pretty BAD 2-2 team that needs to get significantly better in the 2nd quarter of the season.  And considering we haven't won an AFC East game since 2019, its a bit too early for the victory lap until we start winning some divisional games. 

Just insufferable 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Agreed.  Point or run differential might mean something in baseball over a 162 games, but in football's micro season, it doesn't mean squat.  

9 one score wins and a blowout leads to a poor point differential and a 9-1 record.  

It’s 2-2 no matter how we dissect it.   And as much I hate these point differential rankings I hate it more after the first 3 games and using it to piss on game 4

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

In 2013, the Jets were 8-8 but had a -97 point differential.  They went on to go 4-12 the next season.  How fun were those wins in 2013 in hindsight?

We went through this in 2019 with Gase too.  An inflated W-L record despite the team looking horrid on gamedays time and again.

If it weren't for this franchise doing this to us year after year, sure, I'd be able to celebrate a win like this.  But instead I'm just bracing for the other shoe to drop.  

Give me a good reason to be optimistic that this time will be different and maybe I'll change my tune.  

Who says you have to be optimistic or pessimistic?

I’m happy the Jets won a football game. It doesn’t need to be a symptom of anything in the past or a sign of anything to come. It certainly has nothing to do with wins or losses from 9 seasons ago.

You’re trolling after a win. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Who says you have to be optimistic or pessimistic?

I’m happy the Jets won a football game. It doesn’t need to be a symptom of anything in the past or a sign of anything to come. It certainly has nothing to do with wins or losses from 9 seasons ago.

You’re trolling after a win. 

The thread is suggesting we're better than the Pats.  You can be happy with the W without saying foolish stuff like we're better than anybody.  But sure have fun I guess.  However long it lasts.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The thread is suggesting we're better than the Pats.  You can be happy with the W without saying foolish stuff like we're better than anybody.  But sure have fun I guess.  However long it lasts.  

We are better than the pats right now.  It's not so much about the jets being awesome sauce it is the pats are not a good football team.

Look at the rosters.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We are better than the pats right now.  It's not so much about the jets being awesome sauce it is the pats are not a good football team.

Look at the rosters.

I'd say its close.  Without Mac Jones, sure, I'm good with someone saying we might be slightly better at the moment.  But I'd like to see this team compete in a divisional game before declaring anything.  We were crushed in 4 of our 6 divisional games last season and lost by a TD in the other 2.  Let's get that trend turned around against Miami....

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So…

You are what your record says you are... 

holds true when they’re 2-14, but not when they’re 2-2. Almost every team in the league has at least one win or loss that can be qualified if we watched the whole game as closely as we watch our own.

I do intend to have fun with it for however long it lasts. Otherwise why am I watching? To feel happy & vindicated in defeat and unhappy in victory?

Jets wins haven’t been plentiful enough to come by to piss on the ones we get these days.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Today we are better than the pats

check the standings

be happy for a day

After a midseason tear in ‘21 ended with Jones’s 3-attempt game, NE has since lost 7 of their last 9 games (they beat the Jaguars, who even lost to the ‘21 Jets ffs, and also edged out the Steelers who should be winless).

We’re not even supposed to enjoy this either, it seems. Weak.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So…

You are what your record says you are... 

holds true when they’re 2-14, but not when they’re 2-2. Almost every team in the league has at least one win or loss that can be qualified if we watched the whole game as closely as we watch our own.

I do intend to have fun with it for however long it lasts. Otherwise why am I watching? To feel happy & vindicated in defeat and unhappy in victory?

Jets wins haven’t been plentiful enough to come by to piss on the ones we get these days.

See but that Parcells saying isn’t actually true when it comes to projecting out the future.  And it certainly hasn’t been true in recent Jets history.  I just gave you 2 good examples but whatever I guess?

I’m happy to win but can certainly be unhappy with the overall product on the field to date.  We’ve sucked for 14 quarters out of 16 in year 2 of the Saleh regime and year 4 with Douglas and I’m supposed to be happy and take whatever scraps we can get?

Get better or this feeling will be fleeting like all wins have been for this franchise the last 12 years.  If I’m ruining your day by saying this…sorry?

• WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See but that Parcells saying isn’t actually true when it comes to projecting out the future.  And it certainly hasn’t been true in recent Jets history.  I just gave you 2 good examples but whatever I guess?

I’m happy to win but can certainly be unhappy with the overall product on the field to date.  We’ve sucked for 14 quarters out of 16 in year 2 of the Saleh regime and year 4 with Douglas and I’m supposed to be happy and take whatever scraps we can get?

Get better or this feeling will be fleeting like all wins have been for this franchise the last 12 years.  If I’m ruining your day by saying this…sorry?

You must be a great lover too

mrs80:”omg keep going”

80: “omg did i forget to water my plants”

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yo, we can either be happy today and sad tomorrow or sad today and tomorrow. It isn't that hard to see which one we would prefer. You can tell us the bad but don't shove it into our faces in every single thread. 

I understand what you're trying to say here, but I feel like your point has been made, and the people who wanted to hear it have heard it and the people who didn't want to have heard it too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but playing like the team has in the first 4 games, as a whole, is not sustainable.  Twice, this team has overcome 90+% odds of a loss in the final 8 minutes of a game to win.  That demonstrates resiliency, yes, and you take the W's where you can get them.  But in future games regression is to be expected and they can't count on wins after 3+ quarters of overall poor play.  Especially as the schedule gets more difficult (we still play Buffalo 2x, @ DEN, @ MIN, @ GB, plus some games on the schedule look tougher than they did prior, like the Jaguars, Lions, and Seahawks).  

In short; this is a pretty BAD 2-2 team that needs to get significantly better in the 2nd quarter of the season.  And considering we haven't won an AFC East game since 2019, its a bit too early for the victory lap until we start winning some divisional games. 

They need to beat a Teddy Bridgewater led-Miami team next week no question about it, & that’s still really only in-line with “doing what you’re supposed to do”,

Jets need much more evidence for me to feel comfortable in the slightest bit.

Love being 2-2 though, won’t lie.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think anyone is doing a victory lap but it’s ok to be happy at least momentarily.  We’re all well aware how bad this team has been so being 2-2 feels a bit refreshing.  I’m not expecting this to be a great season but I do think we finally have a young core who may be able to surprise some teams 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

i agree with you about this team not being able to rely on 4th quarter heroics to win games.  the cleveland game was one of those once in a decade wins.  the steeler win could be atrributed to tomlin pulling trubisky for pickett.  but they have showed the ability to continue playing even under adverse conditions.  they lost mitchell and their oline was shifted around.  this against a team that is known to blitz and get pressure on the qb.  they were still able to stay in the game and get a couple of turnovers.  they need to work on those stupid penalties.  the roughing the passer was just plain stupid.  the one by mosely was a little iffy.

as for the schedule, there are no easy games. we'll be seeing how these teams actually play starting this week.  a 3-0 doltfins start was a bit of a fluke.  now they'll come in at 3-1 and we'll see how they really play.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right now, even with the 2 wins, our point differential is -25.  4th worst in the league, and even worse than the Pats (-24) and winless Texans (-20).  

0-4 might not be what we deserve but certainly 1-3 is the more likely outcome for a team that has played like us so far.  2-2 is an absolute gift.  

Meanwhile, the poor Jaguars are 2-2 despite a +38 point differential.  3rd best in the league.  

Yeah I don't know why we even keep records the NFL should just be a points league.

• Haha 1

Well, as Zach Wilson elevates his play and starts to carry the team... ok, never mind. 

• Haha 1

In 2013, the Jets were 8-8 but had a -97 point differential, 6th worst in the league.  They went on to go 4-12 the next season.  How fun were those wins in 2013 in hindsight?

We went through this in 2019 with Gase too.  An inflated W-L record despite the team looking horrid on gamedays time and again (outscored by 83 points that season).  

So, because it happened 20 years ago, it will happen again? Gase? Gase relied mostly on Vets; this team is relying on rookies and younger players. Sauce, Wilson, Wilson, Breece are the future of this team and they are learning to play in the league. And while this team is far from good, they are getting better every year (from a talent perspective) and are learning to work together in a new scheme. Will they be a good team? Who knows, but it beats waiting for the next shoe to drop.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

So, because it happened 20 years ago, it will happen again? Gase? Gase relied mostly on Vets; this team is relying on rookies and younger players. Sauce, Wilson, Wilson, Breece are the future of this team and they are learning to play in the league. And while this team is far from good, they are getting better every year (from a talent perspective) and are learning to work together in a new scheme. Will they be a good team? Who knows, but it beats waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Exactly.  

There is absolutely no good reason to be optimistic about this team. It’s simply a choice, you either chose to be happy till the inevitable let down or you wallow in misery waiting for it. Personally I enjoyed the last period of yesterdays game after turning almost half the games off at halftime last year. I’m simply happy I didn’t turn the game off at halftime because I’m lying if the thought didn’t cross my mind. This team has been a lesson in futility for a decade. So the only reason to have optimism is you want to. 

• Upvote 1