2nd Year Quarterbacks Week 4 performances

Wilson deserves accolades for a great 4th quarter. As a team though you cannot expect to pull games out by playing 1 good quarter of football when the opponent makes catastrophic blunders. Bad teams like the Browns or rookie QBs like Pickett may give you that chance. Better teams, not gonna happen. Still, in both cases the brass ring got grabbed. Facing 2 teams over the next 2 weeks with QB issues; take advantage. 

One thing we need to see is Wilson hit receivers in stride, especially Garrett Wilson. This kid is special, and if you don't use him more effectively you're costing yourself opportunities. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guy that is consistently not good is Fields.

This year: 

121, 70, 106, 174 yards

8,7,8,11 completions.

To be fair, he deserves the same excuses JN uses. 

- Terrible OL

- No weaponz 

In his case, it’s really bad and really a legit issue. I think Chicago needs a couple of good drafts around the kid. The potential is there. The NFL is better when the Bears are a solid team.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Zach’s competition is all QB’s, not just 2nd year QB’s. Limiting the comparison to just this week is also a bit artificial as well. 

With that said, my view of yesterday hasn’t changed. Zach was very impressive at times, especially late in the game. But his flaws right now are obvious as well, and hopefully Zach and the Jets are working hard to fix them, and not taking the victory Lap many posters seem be on right now…

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Wilson deserves accolades for a great 4th quarter. As a team though you cannot expect to pull games out by playing 1 good quarter of football when the opponent makes catastrophic blunders. Bad teams like the Browns or rookie QBs like Pickett may give you that chance. Better teams, not gonna happen. Still, in both cases the brass ring got grabbed. Facing 2 teams over the next 2 weeks with QB issues; take advantage. 

One thing we need to see is Wilson hit receivers in stride, especially Garrett Wilson. This kid is special, and if you don't use him more effectively you're costing yourself opportunities. 

To be fair the jets offense played 2 good quarters of football.  And for wilson, not playing for 9 months and with that shaky OL, that’s pretty good.  As for beating bad teams, I’ll say that i really never ever heard anyone ever qualify a Brady/belichick win over the hapless jets by saying it was only the jets, that Brady’s 5 tds were somehow asterisked.  

With wilson, it’s going to be a curve for him to understand not to make that bad throw at the end of the first half.  And lefleur is going to have to roll him out more and have him get the ball out quickly with that OL.  The jets actually have enough support for a qb now, with real rbs and TEs (will ruckert ever play meaningful snaps) and wrs who can get separation.  The d can also make stops when it’s not bungling coverages.  It’s time for the jets to start playing smart football, since they’re really not at a talent disadvantage to the pats or phins.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach’s competition is all QB’s, not just 2nd year QB’s. Limiting the comparison to just this week is also a bit artificial as well. 

With that said, my view of yesterday hasn’t changed. Zach was very impressive at times, especially late in the game. But his flaws right now are obvious as well, and hopefully Zach and the Jets are working hard to fix them, and not taking the victory Lap many posters seem be on right now…

Sure, he had a better day than Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson today- happy?

And he had a better QBR than..

J. BurrowCIN

R. WilsonDEN

L. JacksonBAL

R. TannehillTEN

K. CousinsMIN

1LK. MurrayARI

M. RyanIND

A. RodgersGB

2LD. MillsHOU

J. FieldsCHI

M. MariotaATL

J. HurtsPHI

C. WentzWSH

B. ZappeNE

T. LawrenceJAX

B. MayfieldCAR

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, none of them playedparticularly great. But it does give some perspective.

One of the biggest positives I took from today overall is that the Jets are now talented enough to win some games where they don’t play great and they make some mistakes. It tells me that the ceiling could actually be pretty high. 

Great post.

21 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He said this after the Packers game. ?

BBB284E0-0ECE-44D0-AAD7-7C5F6D19D3C4.jpeg.84064ff8433a9302cdccd15a81b43a6e.jpeg

The fans also don’t get paid to be there & also don’t get treated like royalty by society when they win.

He really needs some media help from the team (yes some WRs would help, too). He’s acting like he’s the first player to ever lose a game and be frustrated while the fans were also frustrated.

No fans = no NFL, and no job playing a sport. Absent the fans, for all his talent he’s throwing a football with friends for free - or paying to do it - in his spare time, after an unfulfilling job, like almost everyone else. It’s not just his talent that puts him there; it’s that millions of people have said they want to watch others doing it. The greatest QB player ever born may have lived in the 1800s - or 800s, or millennia before that - for all we know. Except no fans & no money.

Fans have always been spectators. They cheer wins and boo losses. It didn’t begin with his career, and it’s not like his reward is to try to avoid getting eaten by actual lions the next day, too; his 2 upcoming games against Detroit are pretty cosy in comparison.

I thought teams had people to help the players sound less foolish. His comment is fine & endearing to his teammates (I guess, lol) if he’s just talking to them when no one outside is listening. You don’t say that publicly & someone needs to tell him he doesn’t sound like a loyal teammate so much as a jerk who was born with superior athletic talent, living in the right place at the right time, finding fault with those who collectively decided he should have a career and they should pay for it with their time & money.

Whew, I feel better about myself now. From my sofa. Needling someone I know won’t read this let alone reply to defend himself. :) 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I mean every QB has their flaws. Every QB has stuff the need to get better at. Every QB makes mistakes. The only victory lap here is he lead a 4th quarter comeback on the road in hostile territory in a place where we pretty much never win. Which is GREAT for his growth. Here is the only stat that matters: We won is Pittsburgh and it was because of Zach Wilson. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Garrett needs to learn to CATCH. Too many drops yesterday.

Zach was good yesterday and anyone saying otherwise is (as I've stated many times) simply dug in on disliking him.  They just can't or won't see anything positive from him.  They even think they're right - but they simply incapable of seeing anything positive.

What's most impressive - or probably better said - what's encouraging...is...

He did fall apart for about 10 minutes in that game, he started to look like early last year...but differently from last year - he regrouped - didn't fall into a hole and throw the game away.  He settled down, found his game and carried the team to a win.

Surely he still has some things to work on - and he will get better...but yesterday we saw a lot of continued growth and maturity.

• Sympathy 3

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LaFleur has done a good job putting receivers dead in front of Wilson’s face, ensuring easy to read and process throws. Wilson’s strength is his zippy arm. His weakness is everything else, so letting him see it-throw it is going to be crucial for any success he has in the future. I don’t think other teams will let Jets receivers walk into the middle of the field like the Steelers did today, and they’ll challenge Wilson to beat them down the field, outside the hashes against man to man, where Wilson has struggled historically. Here’s his passing chart from today: all pretty short, middle of the field throws. 

242DC53A-0581-4A15-880F-076609193DBF.png

Seems a reasonable way to get your second year oft injured QB who was one of the worse in the league last year started after missing more time to injury. I would add swagger, testicular fortitude, mountain goat determination, modest to flashing  athleticism and his mothers undying love that makes him believe he can do anything, including most of her besties to his strengths. His footwork, read recognition and field vision are pretty brutal. He’s also being coached in a system that relies more on his weaknesses than his strengths. Let’s see if LaFleur can coach him up and make the system work for him. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, none of them playedparticularly great. But it does give some perspective.

One of the biggest positives I took from today overall is that the Jets are now talented enough to win some games where they don’t play great and they make some mistakes. It tells me that the ceiling could actually be pretty high. 

Well we beat one team that is pretty flawed (Pitt) and one team that had a total meltdown in the last 2 minutes of the game but it is nice that we can now take advantage of other teams mistakes. 

One thing I will add, Zach was clutch yesterday.  So many QB's that have been through here didn't  make the plays when the game was there for the taking.  We have seen defeat ripped from jaws of victory plenty of times here. The O stepped up yesterday.  When was the last time you were able to say that. Pitt didn't  give us the game. Yes, their D seemed to run out of gas at the end but that is what you try to do as an O, and the Jets did it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

To be fair the jets offense played 2 good quarters of football.  And for wilson, not playing for 9 months and with that shaky OL, that’s pretty good.  As for beating bad teams, I’ll say that i really never ever heard anyone ever qualify a Brady/belichick win over the hapless jets by saying it was only the jets, that Brady’s 5 tds were somehow asterisked.  

With wilson, it’s going to be a curve for him to understand not to make that bad throw at the end of the first half.  And lefleur is going to have to roll him out more and have him get the ball out quickly with that OL.  The jets actually have enough support for a qb now, with real rbs and TEs (will ruckert ever play meaningful snaps) and wrs who can get separation.  The d can also make stops when it’s not bungling coverages.  It’s time for the jets to start playing smart football, since they’re really not at a talent disadvantage to the pats or phins.  

Won't ever poormouth a win. But got 2 teams on tap that have QB situations in disarray, but have solid coaching. These are 2 wins a young team needs going forward. And that means playing a smarter more complete game than yesterday.