Future of the Offensive line

Feels great to win, but we have to consider ourselves lucky that the Steelers offense sleepwalked through the first half and their defense never took full advantage of our injury issues on the offensive line.

AVT’s versatility in moving to LT and Herbig’s experience helped us get through the game.  

My question for the board is what is the plan for the offensive line moving forward?  Both this season and 2023/beyond.

Obviously no one can gameplan for the amount of injuries we’ve had there this year, but based on how things stand right now, how would you approach the offensive line this year once Fant, Brown, and Mitchell are all healthy?

What would be your plan for 2023/beyond?

For this year, I would go with Brown at LT and Fant at RT, slotting AVT back to RG.  I think that brings the most experience/consistency to the line and gives Zach the best chance to succeed.

Next year and beyond is more of a mystery.  Do they see AVT’s value higher as a tackle moving forward?  Love what Mitchell has done in a pinch and think he could be an adequate starter, but building an elite offensive line could make this a top 10 offense in the NFL.  I could see AVT as a beast RT while we pursue a high end LT as a finishing piece to the offense.

2023 offensive line would look like:

LT - Orlando Brown

LG - Laken Tomlinson

C - Conner McGovern

RG - Mitchell/Herbig

RT - AVT

I’m letting Fant walk and we still have Duane Brown under contract next year as the 3rd tackle.

25 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Feels great to win, but we have to consider ourselves lucky that the Steelers offense sleepwalked through the first half and their defense never took full advantage of our injury issues on the offensive line.

AVT’s versatility in moving to LT and Herbig’s experience helped us get through the game.  

My question for the board is what is the plan for the offensive line moving forward?  Both this season and 2023/beyond.

Obviously no one can gameplan for the amount of injuries we’ve had there this year, but based on how things stand right now, how would you approach the offensive line this year once Fant, Brown, and Mitchell are all healthy?

For this year, I would go with Brown at LT and Fant at RT, slotting AVT back to RG.  I think that brings the most experience/consistency to the line and gives Zach the best chance to succeed.

Next year and beyond is more of a mystery.  Do they see AVT’s value higher as a tackle moving forward?  Love what Mitchell has done in a pinch and think he could be an adequate starter, but building an elite offensive line could make this a top 10 offense in the NFL.  I could see AVT as a beast RT while we pursue a high end LT as a finishing piece to the offense.

LT - Orlando Brown

LG - Laken Tomlinson

C - Conner McGovern

RG - Mitchell/Herbig

RT - AVT

I’m letting Fant walk and we still have Duane Brown under contract next year as the 3rd tackle.

Mitchell  is still a work in progress. Highsmith was eating his lunch yesterday.  

• Upvote 1

Whatever we do, we need to make sure that next time the OL has depth. Going to a 5th LT isn't going to happen again, but going to a 2nd or 3rd stringer is much more likely. The OL didn't have too much depth past the starters to begin with, so OL should be almost the whole focus of the offseason.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

LT - Orlando Brown

LG - Laken Tomlinson

C - Conner McGovern

RG - Mitchell/Herbig

RT - AVT

We have to draft probably 2 OTs and one in the 1st or 2nd round in 2023 draft.

• Upvote 2

Definitely an insane question for Week 4-5, but if AVT looks THAT competent at left tackle (and he played some there at USC), I don't see why they don't keep rolling with him moving forward. There are no left tackles on this roster currently and guards are easier to replace. 

Fant and McGovern are UDFAs, Tomlinson will probably be here next year, who knows about Becton and Mitchell will presumably be at RT. We're not looking at a catastrophic tear down next offseason, but we have few answers as to who/what positions will be covered by which guys. 

IMO we need to address C and LG/RG next year. Our Center sucks. And we cannot afford to spend this kind of money on Tomlinson at all - let alone for the value that he brings. Whether we keep AVT on the right or move him back to the left, we need a new young G. It may be shaky at first with a new G and new C playing next to each other, but we need to build the core of this OL moving forward. I would prefer to replace LT too, but with all of the needs of this team, I am not sure you can pull that off this year. While you can get a C at the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd and a guard in the 3rd (both will be difficult) an LT will most likely cost a high 1st. In the meantime, we desperately need a strong fast LB. We also need a FS and other key players.

• Do we consider a full time move to OT for AVT? At this point...I think so. He's too tough, athletic, and smart of a player.
  • Max Mitchell a huge surprise and bright spot - hopefully not a major injury. This guy could be our RT for years to come.
  • Duane Brown hopefully is back this or next week and can help stabilize the OL.
  • Hopefully get Fant back in a few weeks - pair him with Brown and see what if our run game can take off.
  • Becton's future at this point should be expect the worst and hope he can just be a backup until his contract runs out.
  • New Center is needed for next year. Nothing horrible now but if we want this unit as a point of strength we need to upgrade.
  • Upvote 1

I find it odd that most of the board wants to upgrade the offensive line and the first thought it to let fant walk.  He isnt elite, but I think his struggles this year were injury related and id like to see how he plays after this break before "letting him walk".  Hes got the athleticism required for this system, has versatility to play both OT spots and is well-respected in the locker room. Im not rushing to dump him.

I also dont see spending huge money on a LT like orlando brown.  To me the best FA money would be on Elton Jenkins who can play either tackle spot or guard (or center in an emergency)

I would love to see us upgrade center with our 2nd round pick and continue to use one of our mid round picks on developmental OL.  

OT:  Fant, Max Mitchell, Veteran swing tackle (with AVT as further tackle insurance), developmental player

OG: Tomlinson, Jenkins, AVT, Herbig

Center: Draft pick, feeney  

• Upvote 1

On the bright side:  

*These guys held it together by hook or by crook yesterday. Just shows that JD has a pretty good eye for finding backups for our backups.

*Zack has a lot to learn about getting the ball out but for now his his insane scrambling ability compensated.  All things considered our RB's performed adequately.  Our floor on offensive side of the ball  has been witnessed and I'm encouraged.        

*One good thing about all the injuries is that most of these guy will be back sooner or later.  Maybe the CS can impress us further and make the most of those "new toys".

*As far as releasing talent and finding new talent, I'm trusting JD on that score.  We have our GM ladies and gentlemen!               

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I find it odd that most of the board wants to upgrade the offensive line and the first thought it to let fant walk.  He isnt elite, but I think his struggles this year were injury related and id like to see how he plays after this break before "letting him walk".  Hes got the athleticism required for this system, has versatility to play both OT spots and is well-respected in the locker room. Im not rushing to dump him.

I also dont see spending huge money on a LT like orlando brown.  To me the best FA money would be on Elton Jenkins who can play either tackle spot or guard (or center in an emergency)

I would love to see us upgrade center with our 2nd round pick and continue to use one of our mid round picks on developmental OL.  

OT:  Fant, Max Mitchell, Veteran swing tackle (with AVT as further tackle insurance), developmental player

I think letting fant walk is the go to move due to browns contract. Brown will 100% be on the team next year. I think he has like 10 mil guaranteed. Fant wants to get paid. Both brown and becton will be making good money next year. That’s like 40 mil just at tackle if fant is brought back. 

I think it’s best to just draft someone in rounds 2-4 and let brown/becton/mitchell battle it out for the staring reps. The rookie will start the year after if becton doesn’t get his sh*t together 

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I think letting fant walk is the go to move due to browns contract. Brown will 100% be on the team next year. I think he has like 10 mil guaranteed. Fant wants to get paid. Both brown and becton will be making good money next year. That’s like 40 mil just at tackle if fant is brought back. 

I think it’s best to just draft someone in rounds 2-4 and let brown/becton/mitchell battle it out for the staring reps. The rookie will start the year after if becton doesn’t get his sh*t together 

I dont think that is correct for Brown.  Overthecap.com has him with 1.5 million in dead money with $10 million in cap savings if he is a post June 1 cut (there is 1.5 in dead money the next 3 years too which is odd).

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think wanting to let Fant walk is more about him wanting a big payday which he has made known most of the offseason.  If we are doling out a big money contract to a tackle, I don’t want it to be George Fant

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I dont think that is correct for Brown.  Overthecap.com has him with 1.5 million in dead money with $10 million in cap savings if he is a post June 1 cut (there is 1.5 in dead money the next 3 years too which is odd).

I’m not sure contracts are confusing, but spotrac has it at 6.4 mil dead cap if cut next year so I was def wrong about the 10, but that’s still pretty high 

The Jets have one of the most, if not the most, expensive OL in the NFL.  JD has spent a tremendous amount in $ and draft picks. 

But it has been plagued by injuries and underperformance.  It seems like next year they are basically starting over.   Letting both Fant and McGovern go could be hard 

I hope Mitchell is ok.  I don’t think he had the body to play 17 NFL games.  Skill and athleticism are there 

As for the future,  I think it's important to address the current situation because obviously this wasnt by design.  They have 3 T's on IR right now but they're getting one back hopefully this week and he's the best of the 3 at the position, so that should be an upgrade on it's way.  It's also week 4 and they havent had consistency across the line and IMO continuity is huge on the OL.  Yesterday, they were also blocking for a very different QB and clearly running a very different playbook.  I think we saw like 1 RPO in the first 3 weeks with Flacco and we ran a bunch yesterday.  So they were also asked to do different things yesterday.  They've also faced some talented DL's, obvi getting a nice little break from the Steelers w/out Watt but that's the NFL.  It's a week to week league, match up and availability dependent and why you can never look at strength of schedule in the preseason.  2-2 vs. AFC North, it cant be as bad as we think it is but I'm confident that OL will get better as it gets healthy and more playing experience together and blocking for a better QB.

The future?  Draft, sign, trade, duh but it looks like they have 2 very nice young pieces to build on, one of them looking to be elite.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If Brown comes back this week do they try AVT at RT now? And play Herbig at RG? Or does AVT go back to RG and McDermott RT

Was just going ask the same. Hoping we gt good news on Brown this week and he will be back at LT. Will be interesting to see what they do at RT. I think McDermott is better suited there but they may go with 1 of the 2 guys we signed last week. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Hermanns get a sot there. I think he has the nasty disposition for that spot.

• Upvote 1