Future of the Offensive line

17 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Seems inevitable that we are taking an OT in the first round and then a center at some other point on days 2 or 3.  It's unfortunate that we have to put more resources into OT as opposed to going LB or S in round 1, but OT has to be the direction they go given where things are right now.

Safety in round 1? LOL this site would crash....

Hard to tell now.

As of now, I would

LT Brown and a 2nd round pick

LG Laken and Feeney

OC McGovern and a Day 3 Pick (say 4th rounder)

RG AVT and Herbig

RT Mitchell, Becton and a Day 3 Pick (say a 5th)

I know all 11 wont make the 53. Our OL is expensive and we need to start spending more draft picks on it.

I would use our 1st and 3rd at Edge/IDL.

S/LB are just going to have to wait until we can say the OL is above average and the DL can consistently apply pressure with a 4 man front. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Mitchell  is still a work in progress. Highsmith was eating his lunch yesterday.  

On PFF Mitchell posted the lowest pass blocking grade of any Jet OL this season with 18.9 vs Pittsburgh. It's one of the lowest I've seen tbh.

He had done okay but people really need to pump the breaks on building this guy up as a future starter. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

On PFF Mitchell posted the lowest pass blocking grade of any Jet OL this season with 18.9 vs Pittsburgh. It's one of the lowest I've seen tbh.

He had done okay but people really need to pump the breaks on building this guy up as a future starter. 

He was drafted to be a starter in a year or two.  He was playing really well considering that.  But yeah,  he isn't s huge loss for this week but he was building up to becoming a really solid player. 

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The difference was he didn't  have AVT next to him

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

With Brown eating up money, we aren't going to draft a LT in the first next year. Not only will we likely be out of position to draft one of the better ones, we desperately need to get a fast, strong LB. If we don't draft a LB or if we move back into first, I would draft a C next (if one is available of course). C is the heart of the OL and our C is relatively expensive and sucks. We also need another G. Hopefully we can find one in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Expecting to find a LT in 2nd or 3rd day, even a raw one, is unlikely - Max was a steal as he was, do you think lightning will strike twice?

Whatever round we don't pick a guard, I would expect to draft a FS; LB and FS are killing us on D this year. I would also like to release/trade some of our DL, rotate less, and hold onto more OL. Maybe we can trade Davis to a WR needy team for a day 2 pick and save the cap and get a backup OL or a S.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I find it odd that most of the board wants to upgrade the offensive line and the first thought it to let fant walk.  He isnt elite, but I think his struggles this year were injury related and id like to see how he plays after this break before "letting him walk".  Hes got the athleticism required for this system, has versatility to play both OT spots and is well-respected in the locker room. Im not rushing to dump him.

I also dont see spending huge money on a LT like orlando brown.  To me the best FA money would be on Elton Jenkins who can play either tackle spot or guard (or center in an emergency)

I would love to see us upgrade center with our 2nd round pick and continue to use one of our mid round picks on developmental OL.  

OT:  Fant, Max Mitchell, Veteran swing tackle (with AVT as further tackle insurance), developmental player

OG: Tomlinson, Jenkins, AVT, Herbig

Center: Draft pick, feeney  

I agree, especially with how we seem to injury a tackle a game. 

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Brown and Fant battle it out at LT this year

Next year let fant walk, brown/becton battle it out at LT. The loser battles mitchell at RT. 

Tomlinson at LG, rd 2-4 rookie C, AVT RG

Draft another tackle in rounds 2-4 to be a backup/developmental starter 

Love it.  Very realistic, Fant is the odd man out with Becton, Brown and Mitchell signed through next year and AVT's ability to kick out.  There's even a chance AVT starts at RT next year.

• Upvote 1

One silver lining to all the shuffling (most teams NEVER have this much in-season churn) is we're finding out about players and combinations of players in real time. Losing both tackles and both BU tackles is horrible, but it's lead to AVT playing LT. Who have thunk it during pre-season that AVT would be our starting LT? Plus being forced to start Max Mitchell at RT. We never planned on giving him a single snap, yet there he was playing pretty good for 3 games.

I don't know how the season shakes out...I don't know when Brown comes back or if he'll be any good. Is Fant on short term IR or season ending IR? How bad is Max's ankle?

Doing this churn NOW at the start of the season is much better than getting into the playoffs only to lose both tackles and both BUs and having no clue how to proceed (see the Chiefs' SB game). Hopefully our Oline will return to form and will have no more injuries, but if we do, "Been there done that" and Saleh will know how to proceed in ways we could not have imagined during pre-season. Not a HUGE silver lining but a silver lining none the less. And this extra knowledge could help shape who we draft or who we give big contracts to down the road.

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Becton is a goner, we're drafting a tackle in the first round almost certainly. It's the biggest position of need. 

There could be an argument for linebacker in the draft as well. Quincy is just ok, and Mosley is slowing down 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If AVT is adequate to good at LT, to the point that you don’t worry about him out there I think he should stay there. So valuable to have a solid LT, cheaper to find a good guard, and he’s signed three more years. I don’t know if he’ll stay there long enough to figure it out but if Fant comes back before Brown then the best five has AVT at LT. Mitchell, Becton, and round 2-4 2023 pick compete at RT.

They could do Brown Becton Mitchell draft pick at tackle and have more continuity on the interior line bit I think it’s more expensive and more up in the air.

The question is who do we pay to keep next season on the OL?  A good GM needs to account for age when making investments, because statistics show 

McGovern-if not him, who?

Fant-not needed if Becton and Brown can play.  I am not seeing the reinvestment there. 

Brown-is it worth the dead cap hit to cut him?  The deadcap hit is less than what he would cost.  Can he stay healthy.

Feeney-can't see him coming back.  

Becton-can the Jets trade him, and will they?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

There could be an argument for linebacker in the draft as well. Quincy is just ok, and Mosley is slowing down 

Agree. Given Mosley's cap charge and his overall level of play (he's lost a step) I can easily see a restructure that keeps him around for 2023 while they groom his replacement.  Also Joyner, not withstanding yesterday's performance, generally sucks. So unless Ashtyn Davis magically transforms into a starter, JD has to address the safety position at some point in the 2023 draft.  

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Watching a few Chiefs games, Orlando Brown is not some elite talent, when the Chiefs need to run, they go between Thuney and their center, Humphrey. 

I would think Brown will want 20+ as a FA, there's no way I give him that.

He’s really a RT but is playing at and wants to get payed as a LT

Pass....

• Upvote 1

The Jets are building WRs and RBs and need an OL. JD’s program of OL building is a mixed bag-trading up and FAs, and missing on Becton, which currently is crippling.  They need to pray that Becton is serviceable for 1-3 years.  He ain’t getting a new contract.  Maybe year 5 + FT, like another flake, Wilkerson. 

They need defensive players but need to use the picks on OL until they get it right.   I like Elijah Moore, but we were better with Creed Humphrey. 

38 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'd expect that we'll look at FA for a center more than the draft. If I recall we did look at one or two last offseason. 

We are spending way too much on our OL for vets and we are not getting the reward. You have to overplay for OL these days, and we get players who are approaching the end of their careers. What that means is that you are continually paying a lot for an ever changing line. Every year you are likely going to need to find players at high cost and then you have to wait for the OL to gel every year.

We need a center who has a reasonable price tag and can be with team for 10 years. It is the anchor on the line and calls the protection. Invest some draft capital at C and it will pay for itself and make the G better. If we are drafting in the top 10 again, sure you can roll the dice on another LT, but if we are drafting in the middle of the draft, I would rather pick from the best LB or C instead of picking the bottom of the LT pool. We have 3 LTs - surely one of them will be healthy next year; we have Mitchell as RT and we have AVT as G (or LT in a crunch). A quality C would solidify the line IMO.

I like the Douglas has worked the OLine for the most part.  It just has not worked out that well.  Several of his big FA deals have been by necessity.  Kalil was kind of a disaster, but by necessity.  Brown was by necessity.  He tried to go cheap at G and it did not work - Feeney, GVR and Lewis were the way that you hope to find a G.   Herbig and LDT were also in that mold.  They were not able to find good players that way and ended up going premium - moving up for AVT and paying a ton for Tomlinson.  Not sure what I think about that.  Those decisions have to be hits and so far it is mixed.

At T, I liked the Fant signing.  He was perfect IMO.  He could play LT, but not cost like a starting LT, so we were not locked in at LT in the draft.  I wanted Wirfs, not because I am a savant, but because I like combine warriors and IMO Wirfs was the guy with upside.  I saw both Wirfs and Becton as RT types and felt Fant at LT and Wirfs on the right would have been great to start.  I like McGovern okay and think people are a bit hard on the guy, but admit I don't exactly concetrate on C and doubt many do.  

The Mitchell pick seems pretty decent so far.  You want to pepper the team with depth from those mid- to late- round picks.  Shame what happened with Clark, but I think the biggest issue is that the trade ups for AVT, Johnson and Hall lost us picks that could have been used on guys that would have been great depth and maybe eventual starters.  Hopefully, as the roster is stronger they can wait those out and fill them in with future drafts.

From the contracts, I assume they keep Brown and let Fant walk.  Then they pray for Becton and add some mid-tier draft/FA guys.  I am not sure what to make of G.  I would move AVT back ASAP.  Tomlinson is getting paid for at least 2 years, but he has to produce better than this.  Herbig seems like nice depth, so they are probably okay there.  McGovern will be a 30 year old FA, so I assume they try to upgrade C, but who knows? 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:31 AM, Irish Jet said:

Particularly with a dislocated knee.  Most likely he won't be back.

Draft looks like it will be very scarce in OT department but high in guards/centers. Looks like next year is a good year to get a franchise center in the second/third round but if we are in need of someone to plug at OT we will have to look elsewhere unfortunately. 

I think Mitchell can become our RT, AVT our RG, New Center, Tomlinson LG, With Left tackle probably being the spot with the most likelihood of really anything happening. 

Damn Dolphins really lucked out Terron Armstead was leaving Saints. We need someone like that to hold down that side while rest of O-line gets settled because there's been constant moving around. 

• Upvote 1

I like that Douglas has made fixing the OL a priority although a lot of his moves have not panned out. Hard to predict that string of injuries. If Fant and Becton didn't suffer injuries this year, we might be a good center away from a high performing OL. 

Douglas has to draft one or two starting OL players in the next offseason. The team cannot continue to be a destination for guys looking for their last payday and either underwhelm or get injured early in the season. I get that Douglas needed to wade into FA and get what he could get to shore up the OL, among other groups, but as the roster improves across the board this should be less of a need.

i think the future all depends on what they think they can get out of becton.  granted it looks like he's got some serious injury issues to work through but next season he'll have a maximum of 2 seasons left on his rookie contract.  if he comes back i'm betting he'll want some big bucks to stay beyond year 5.  but douglas did have this set up until it was derailed by becton and clark.  had those two guys worked out he would've been able to add a top lineman each year and by this season, the whole oline could've been jets draftees.  water under the bridge.  the jets are going to have to use at least one fairly high pick on the oline and then probably use another late rounder for depth.  they seem to be solid as far as skill position players go at least for the up coming season.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, varjet said:

Good plan. Where is the center?

Not sure. I think they try to find a serviceable guy via trade or FA first before turning to the draft.

For the record, this isn't what I'd personally do, just what I think would happen. Becton cannot have his 5th year option picked up and they will probably dangle winning the RT job as a last ditch carrot.