Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?

Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Jury is still out but yesterday helped him.  

If he plays smart then he can keep progressing well.  Those final two drives should also boost his confidence in himself and team mates.

SMART.

Operative word.

That's what I realized yesterday: it's very mental with this kid.  He loses focus.  He probably has ADD/ADHD.

• Upvote 2

Yes and I say that regardless of the outcome although the W makes it easier.

IF they lost - some of the intangible's others have brought up especially in the 4th qtr  would probably be overlooked.

He just needs to consistently improve week over week and all will be good

Just now, Trotter said:

Yes and I say that regardless of the outcome although the W makes it easier.

IF they lost - some of the intangible's others have brought up especially in the 4th qtr  would probably be overlooked.

He just needs to consistently improve week over week and all will be good

consistency. that's the key.

• Upvote 2

Yes, a bit, because last year I don't think he has the ability to pull out that final drive for the win.

But, mostly no, because everything else (50% completion percentage is his 3rd worst so far and 2 INTs after his 5 game streak of throwing none).

Hard to say that's clear, forward progress. I expect better next game.

• Upvote 3

Yes he did but really have to look at a full body of work which means this season. Can’t have people reacting to every damn bad throw / game saying that he sucks etc calling for a QB change.  Just have to let the season play out.

but damn the boy can throw

• Upvote 3

I think we'll know better after seeing him play next week if he made progress today. Certainly he played better at the end of the game. He seemed to be making some better decisions than he might have as a rookie outside of that ridiculous INT before the half that could have cost us the game.

Need to see him ripping the ball sooner a lot of the time instead of holding it and running around. This is all mental w/Zach and it's going to take reps to improve that. Dude absolutely has the physical tools to be a top QB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

we had 50% of an offensive line.  couldn't have asked for more from the kid and I'm a ZW doubter.

I like how people point to our injured offensive line, but AVT was probably our best LT the entire season. I'd like to see some analytics on that to see if it lines up with what I think I saw.

The line took a hit when McDipsh*t went in, no doubt, but Zach didn't have his great quarter until Mcdumb**** came in.

Huge progress. Does he still make mistakes? yes. Does he need to work on things? Of course. He played his first game of year, but franchise QBs rise to the occasions during big moments. They are able to put the team on their back and pull out a win even when they don't have their best game. Zach showed that yesterday. The throws he made during those big moments were phenomenal.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

Huge progress. Does he still make mistakes? yes. Does he need to work on things? Of course. He played his first game of year, but franchise QBs rise to the occasions during big moments. They are able to put the team on their back and pull out a win even when they don't have their best game. Zach showed that yesterday. The throws he made during those big moments were phenomenal.  

I agree.

On the throws he did hit, it was miles ahead of where he was last year.  That's the progress I saw.

• Upvote 2

Yes.

Obviously still made mistakes. His short/screen passing was atrocious, he didn't always see the field well and he held the ball too long. Taking bad sacks and throwing bad picks seem like it will be part of his game.

That said:

1) He hung tough in the pocket. Offensive line was a sieve but he kept his eyes downfield (most of the time) and delivered strikes from a collapsing pocket on multiple occasions. That's big and something young QBs struggle with.

2) He moved well, took hits, seemed fine.

3) He wasn't rattled at all. Despite having pressure in his face in his first action since early August he did not get rattled or lose his composure.

4) He was clutch. Delivered excellent passes on multiple third and fourth down conversions putting the ball exactly where it needed to be.

5) He demonstrated his arm talent. It's clear that if he continues to progress he's got the tools.

I've been as hard on Zach Wilson as anyone but honestly this was one of his best games -- this wasn't a safe checkdown nothing offense like he was praised for last year -- this was him throwing frozen ropes exactly where they needed to be to Elijah Moore and Core Davis to convert on key downs.

Give me "he turns the ball over but he actually throws downfield and coverts third downs" any day of the week.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

This has been the ongoing and most important debate:

Is Zach Wilson the QB of the Future?

Some Say Yes, Some Say No.

I've spent time on both sides of the argument.

Did Zach Wilson, in your mind, take steps toward solidifying his place as our Franchise QB of the Future with yesterday's performance?

Yes or No?

Is there any doubt whatsoever that he made progress yesterday?  I don't think so.

Is he the "QB of the future"?  Hopefully, but I think that's still TBD.

Is he the "Chef of the future"?  Maybe, but that's really more of a question for @Gastineau Lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Definitely progress, game winning drive...in addition he had to run for his life on several occasions just to throw the ball away and not take a sack. He was sacked one time. Could have been 5 at least if not for his mobility. Sometimes he was back peddling still, he needs to step up in the pocket to avoid pass rush. Very bad play was taking a chance throwing deep and getting intercepted when already in field goal range.

• Upvote 1

He showed amazing mental toughness when the game was on the line.  Elite NFL QB's aren't game managers.  They perform when the game is on the line.  Zach lead 2 fourth quarter drives for TD's for the win.  He milked the clock to kill any chance for Pittsburgh to win.  That's what elite NFL QB's do.

All he needs is more reps.  The talent and mental toughness were all on display yesterday.   Guys also dropped balls early.  They will get used to the ball coming in hotter than it did from Flacco. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

This has been the ongoing and most important debate:

Is Zach Wilson the QB of the Future?

Some Say Yes, Some Say No.

I've spent time on both sides of the argument.

Did Zach Wilson, in your mind, take steps toward solidifying his place as our Franchise QB of the Future with yesterday's performance?

Yes or No?

I said yea because he didn’t solidify himself as a total and complete bust yesterday like I expected him to. He is as far from solidifying himself as a franchise QB as he ever was. Yesterday proved nothing except the kid is not a quitter, will fight his ass off to win, can whip the ball around pretty good and believes in himself, more than he may have any right to honestly. 

But franchise QB? No. Not yet, not even close. Ask again at the end of the season. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He showed amazing mental toughness when the game was on the line.  Elite NFL QB's aren't game managers.  They perform when the game is on the line.  Zach lead 2 fourth quarter drives for TD's for the win.  He milked the clock to kill any chance for Pittsburgh to win.  That's what elite NFL QB's do.

All he needs is more reps.  The talent and mental toughness were all on display yesterday.   Guys also dropped balls early.  They will get used to the ball coming in hotter than it did from Flacco. 

The dart to Davis needs more credit. He put the ball on a rope to a sliding Davis into a tiny window. That is the stuff that can make him special. However, the ugly pick to end the first half is what makes me yell at my TV and drink out of a coconut from party city. 

• Haha 1

I will say this:  Sam Darnold never demonstrated mental toughness.  Wilson has.  

His mechanics are still mostly a mess and I don’t believe he processes quickly enough to ever succeed in the league.  But there’s truth to the whole “he’s got that dog in him” stuff.  

• Upvote 3

Very odd that aside from the Jets podcasts, SNY postgame, ESPN Greeny and Rex , no one in the mainstream sports media is talking about this. Everyone that trashed the kid is eerily quiet. Especially Keyshawn and Max. Every thing was about Kenny Pickett. "If Kenny Pickett did this, they wouldve won" 

• Upvote 2

I mentioned this in another post.  I re-watched the last two drives and for whatever reason it was a different player out there.  He stood in the pocket with feet planted and stepped into his passes in the face of the pass rush.  He clearly put more touch on passes when as needed.  No running around like a chicken, no 90 mph bullets on every pass.   Just cool, calm and collected in the face of great pressure.  1st and goal pushed to the 11, no issue.  1st and 20 after the David block in the back, no problem.  Even the scramble on 3rd and 15 to get to manageable distance for that key 4th day was a very good play.  I don't know if it was just more reps or if his heart rate and blood pressure just slowed down when the pressure was greatest but in either case it is a very good sign.  Obviously we need to see more of that type of play and I certainly hope our CS dissects those drives with him and ask him what was different and then tailor future game plans to put him in a similar mindset.  I noticed they ran a lot more play action and picked up the pace out of necessity.  If that's what it takes to get more of that performance I say lets bring it on!    

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Listen to his teammates. They are sold. The kid was a leader in the 4th quarter. He just didn't run the plays... He was a leader, and his teammates followed. That is something not seen in these parts since Chad Pennington.

... oh and his crack "I've got the best hands on the team" is gold. It is the kind of brash confidence that you love to see.

I just read the quotes, people were really loving his attitude and swagger.  You need that in a QB.  You need a, "everyone else can go F themselves, we got this!" attitude.  I will take that all day.  Sam Darnold, for example, was too laid back.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I will say this:  Sam Darnold never demonstrated mental toughness.  Wilson has.  

His mechanics are still mostly a mess and I don’t believe he processes quickly enough to ever succeed in the league.  But there’s truth to the whole “he’s got that dog in him” stuff.  

What about his mechanics are a mess?