Jump to content

Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?


tommyduhamelshouse
 Share

Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?  

168 members have voted

  1. 1. Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?

    • Yes
      158
    • No
      10


Recommended Posts

I did not think he could win in a hostile environment like Pittsburgh, so the obvious answer for me is yes, there was progress yesterday. I still don't think he's going to pan out and the things I have disliked about him as a player were all still there, but I'd be dishonest if I did not admit that the 4th quarter performance was a step in the right direction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll see how this goes over the next few games against some more tough defenses. The gist I've gotten from smart football folks is that he looked good against zone last year but bad against man.

Against zone yesterday: 11-20 for 150 yards (7.5 YPA) and 1 touchdown

Against man yesterday: 7-16 for 102 yards (6.4 YPA) and 2 interceptions

If this continues, teams are just going to play more man. Last year I know the Jets had problems getting guys open, I don't think that's an excuse this year with Wilson and Moore.

The arm talent is obvious and he did a great job buying time. I hope this was just randomness and not a continuation of that trend from last year. 

I continue to think that he's going to play well enough for those who are all in on him to see progress, and poorly enough for those who are skeptical to see a guy who's not good enough to lead a winning team while making big money on a second contract.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont get it. You want to see Zach making making those 'boring' throws but he made several BORING throws that were classic drop back. The one I really was wowed by was the deep down and out to Moore. That was an outstanding throw.  I get it. Hes had alot of trouble with this aspect but he really improved yesterday. Give the kid a MILF for his efforts.

3/5 MILF rating.  Now go do it again kid.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, derp said:

We'll see how this goes over the next few games against some more tough defenses. The gist I've gotten from smart football folks is that he looked good against zone last year but bad against man.

Against zone yesterday: 11-20 for 150 yards (7.5 YPA) and 1 touchdown

Against man yesterday: 7-16 for 102 yards (6.4 YPA) and 2 interceptions

If this continues, teams are just going to play more man. Last year I know the Jets had problems getting guys open, I don't think that's an excuse this year with Wilson and Moore.

The arm talent is obvious and he did a great job buying time. I hope this was just randomness and not a continuation of that trend from last year. 

I continue to think that he's going to play well enough for those who are all in on him to see progress, and poorly enough for those who are skeptical to see a guy who's not good enough to lead a winning team while making big money on a second contract.

Seems the Steelers played a bunch of zone because they were missing Witherspoon, and then they lost Heyward, Cam Sutton, and Terrell Edmunds for the fourth quarter. Highsmith also got nicked up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

This has been the ongoing and most important debate:

Is Zach Wilson the QB of the Future?

Some Say Yes, Some Say No.

I've spent time on both sides of the argument.

Did Zach Wilson, in your mind, take steps toward solidifying his place as our Franchise QB of the Future with yesterday's performance?

Yes or No?

No, we need to lose more so we can better judge 

Master P Reaction GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

This question remains TBD.

I don't meaningfully think so, no.

I think Zach expressed both his strengths and his weaknesses again yesterday, in equal measure.

His arm strength and ability on mid-range missile-passes was very good.  His scrambling and escape ability was also very impressive.  And his throwing it away was mostly good.

His shorter-range accuracy and touch was abysmal.  He threw several passes that should have been easy INT's (and two actual INTs).  His consistency and decision making and vision remain suspect, missing several open receivers at times.

The 4th quarter was very good.  The first three quarters, not so much. Is that "taking a step"?  Many will say yes, because the 4th was good and we won.  I say not really, because Zach was the same Zach as last year yesterday, both his obvious pros and his his equally obvious cons.  Had Zach taken a step, we beat that horrible Steelers team by 14+ yesterday IMO.

And I add, I think the fanbase is ignoring the pivotal role played by our running backs and running game in that 4th quarter, equally important to the win.

Won't be a popular take, but this is how I see it.  Zach is maddeningly consistent in his inconsistency when it comes to his skillset.  To me, he'll take a step when he is more accuracy and successful in the touch-pass game, and can improve his comp. % closer to 62% than 50%.

But I do want to see more, so there is at least that. On to the Phins.

 

thank you

i thought i was the only won who watched the first 3 quarters. i argued with everyone yesterday. yes it was a good 4th qt and really nice win but he was pretty bad for 3 quarters. this whole board had amnesia.

i agreed with you pal, spot on

 

  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and i didnt vote cause he did both IMO

he made progress by making the throws in the 4th to help win the game. i dont think he does that last year

BUT

the 1st 3 quarters were pretty bad. 33% comp % is horrible for 3 quarters and not much better 50% for the game

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, doitny said:

thank you

i thought i was the only won who watched the first 3 quarters. i argued with everyone yesterday. yes it was a good 4th qt and really nice win but he was pretty bad for 3 quarters. this whole board had amnesia.

i agreed with you pal, spot on

 

He was bad in the first 3 quarters but still had some elite throws, mainly the opposite has throw to Moore early in the game.

Zach has such great arm talent and mobility that his ceiling is really high.  That being said he has a lot to clean up.

  • First off he isnt Josh Allen, he needs to start protecting himself by sliding and if needed just eating a sack.
  • His short area accuracy yesterday wasnt great. He drills the short passes and also just seems to miss 1-2 easy ones each game.  Somehow he needs to get better touch and accuracy on those throws. 
  • Understand whats happening in the game.  You cannot throw that int when you are in FG range at the end of the half, you just cant do it.  

Overall there is a lot to be excited about when you see some of the throws from yesterday.  As far as the zone/man discussion, this is not a team that you are going to be able to play a lot of man against.  Yes zach struggled against the pats when they blitzed him and played man, that was a different team and he has a lot more experience now.  If you want to try to play man against GW and Moore good luck!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tfine said:

What about his mechanics are a mess?

Yeah, last season I would have bought this because his feet had a tendency to get sloppy after he got hit, but he cleaned that up by years end and he already had beautiful upper body mechanics and throwing motion.  His release is lightening quick, and his motion is compact.

Zach needs to continue to improve in the mental area of the game, but his physical traits are the best part of his upside.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes, he made progress. My expectations were basement low so yeah 250/1/2 is definitely better than I expected but it won't be good enough for long.

Agreed. Solid step forward and I did vote yes because of his long layoff and obvious rust. However, a team as good as the Fins, those numbers will not get it done. But that's it now, the rust had better be off.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Agreed. Solid step forward and I did vote yes because of his long layoff and obvious rust. However, a team as good as the Fins, those numbers will not get it done. But that's it now, the rust had better be off.

I'm also giving him the benefit of the doubt because of probable rust. Just very trepidatious of yet another case of QB fool's gold but as I've said all season, no matter what happens I want him to get as many snaps as possible this year. For good, or bad. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's one area that I am excited about with what I saw yesterday: the off script plays. There were a few times he escaped, rolled out, and just had no WR making a play (from what we saw on the broadcast). Imagine when they start improving that kind of chemistry? Some big plays waiting to happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

 

He was not good against pressure last year and for me this is an area I am watching for growth. Yesterday, he definitely seemed improved in this area and we won the game because of it. So now we need to see him do it again next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

There's one area that I am excited about with what I saw yesterday: the off script plays. There were a few times he escaped, rolled out, and just had no WR making a play (from what we saw on the broadcast). Imagine when they start improving that kind of chemistry? Some big plays waiting to happen. 

We always knew he could do the off script stuff. Problem is when you complete only 50% of your passes and turn the ball over twice... you're depending a lot on some last minute magic to win games... makes for a thrill now and then, but not sustainable.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

He was not good against pressure last year and for me this is an area I am watching for growth. Yesterday, he definitely seemed improved in this area and we won the game because of it. So now we need to see him do it again next week. 

I thought this game was very similar to last year game against Panthers.  In that game the OL was sh*t too but Zach got pounded into ground a few times but towards the end of game he started to really come on and make some nice passes unfortunately there was not enough time but game had same feel to me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The answer is clearly yes.

I'm really not sure how any objective fan can complain about a quarterback leading (and he did lead it) a 10 point fourth quarter comeback on the road.

Does Zach Wilson have some areas to clean up and continue progressing in his game?  Absolutely.

Does he look like he could be a long term answer for the franchise if he continues to grow and improve his game?  Absolutely.

He needs to polish some things up and learn to take what the defense gives him at times.  But his playmaking ability and athleticism are undeniable.  Joe Flacco would have taken about 5 more sacks than Zach did yesterday and likely lost the game.  Zach played much better than his stats indicated.  He was constantly under duress and his receivers let him down a few times in key moments.  Keep improving and work on being consistent.

Week 4 was huge in his development and is hopefully a big confidence builder in terms of being able to put the team on his shoulders moving forward.

I've said it plenty of times.  Zach needs to be the real deal or this team is in trouble.  Yesterday put him on a trend toward being the real deal.

This is an intelligent take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Big surprise. 

To be fair, if Jets came up just short, no one would be happy with his performance or production 50% completion, 250 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs doesn't cut it in the NFL.

However, he was coming back from a long layoff and delivered when it counted so, no one should be clamoring for Mike White this week.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I like how people point to our injured offensive line, but AVT was probably our best LT the entire season. I'd like to see some analytics on that to see if it lines up with what I think I saw.

The line took a hit when McDipsh*t went in, no doubt, but Zach didn't have his great quarter until Mcdumb**** came in.

Spoot the stats said we was under pressure 60 per cent of his passes.   NFL average is 25 per cent.   His backs were getting hit in the back field and he was running for his life.   You might want to take another look.  AVT might have been ok but there were plenty of free rushers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted the Jets to draft a new QB next year during the game, only to end up being a bit hopeful.

 

I'm not sure if his ADHD affects routine plays where it requires more concentration, but as a person who can relate to that it looks a bit too familiar. He needs to start executing basic simple plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

 

Or a product of him not seeing the field well and not processing fast enough? Or even maybe a problem of the scheme? 

 

There is a combination of factors that we can attribute to this and it's certainly not just Zach's elusiveness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

We always knew he could do the off script stuff. Problem is when you complete only 50% of your passes and turn the ball over twice... you're depending a lot on some last minute magic to win games... makes for a thrill now and then, but not sustainable.

I agree with you but i didn't really make that point for anything other than pointing out that I look forward to when the WRs start to learn how to work with him on those plays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I thought this game was very similar to last year game against Panthers.  In that game the OL was sh*t too but Zach got pounded into ground a few times but towards the end of game he started to really come on and make some nice passes unfortunately there was not enough time but game had same feel to me.

Yeah I see what you mean. The difference is the entire team rallied this time. The defense got the ball back to the offense when they needed it and they ******* scored.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

We always knew he could do the off script stuff. Problem is when you complete only 50% of your passes and turn the ball over twice... you're depending a lot on some last minute magic to win games... makes for a thrill now and then, but not sustainable.

This forum is becoming comical.   Do you guys watch the games , or just like to discuss stats?   I mean seriously, the line was makeshift and he was under constant pressure.   He threw away several balls to avoid sacks.   Id guess at least 5.   He had several drops, including 2 back to back by G Wilson.    He threw some inaccurate passes under duress, and the first INT wasn't a great throw, but kept fighting and led his team to a win with a 4 th quarter QB rating over 130.   And it was on the road in a hostile environment.   For his first game back, Id say he did just fine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

No reasonable, objective person would say "no." Even if he came up short, he progressed in multiple ways. 

Guy hasn't played in 9 months and he had the game-winning drive. Of course he made progress. Reasonable minds can debate how much and what it means for the future.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

To be fair, if Jets came up just short, no one would be happy with his performance or production 50% completion, 250 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs doesn't cut it in the NFL.

However, he was coming back from a long layoff and delivered when it counted so, no one should be clamoring for Mike White this week.

I don't disagree that those numbers don't cut it, but even if he came up short, he objectively progressed. 

He was running for his life a lot of the game, more drops by receivers, o line is decimated, and he is coming back from injury with no rhythm with the offense. Yet he played biggest in the biggest moment. He was a leader in the 4th quarter and his teammates fed off it. 

I hope he's our answer at quarterback, but no idea if he will be. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...