Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?

Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Did Zach Wilson Make Progress Yesterday?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I don't disagree that those number don't cut it, but even if he came up short, he objectively progressed. 

He was running for his life a lot of the game, more drops by receivers, o line is decimated, and he is coming back from injury with no rhythm with the offense. Yet he played biggest in the biggest moment. He was a leader in the 4th quarter and his teammates fed off it. 

I hope he's our answer at quarterback, but no idea if he will be. 

The key factor in me saying he progressed was the last two drives. Without those, would look very much like his rookie year. Still would want him to play out the season, but I'd feel a whole bunch less excited about watching next week.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Or a product of him not seeing the field well and not processing fast enough? Or even maybe a problem of the scheme? 

There is a combination of factors that we can attribute to this and it's certainly not just Zach's elusiveness.

OMG...you watched that game and come up with this?  LMFAO.

21 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Spoot the stats said we was under pressure 60 per cent of his passes.   NFL average is 25 per cent.   His backs were getting hit in the back field and he was running for his life.   You might want to take another look.  AVT might have been ok but there were plenty of free rushers.

There's one of those "every pass" videos on Youtube from him that I've been meaning to watch and give the line a closer look. Maybe they were worse than I remembered.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

OMG...you watched that game and come up with this?  LMFAO.

You should read the game thread. It was a microcosm of Jets fandom. Up until 3rd quarter "he's a bust, he sucks, what QB should we draft next year?" then last 5 minutes "OMG the savior has arrived!"

Honestly, maybe I'm just getting old, I can't do it anymore. The wild emotional swings just exhaust me and make me want to go home and go to sleep lol.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, jgb said:

The key factor in me saying he progressed was the last two drives. Without those, would look very much like his rookie year. Still would want him to play out the season, but I'd feel a whole bunch less excited about watching next week.

If he plays mostly like his rookie season, Jets have to move on from him. He has to show progression. Pundits and analysts were pretty united on saying he looked like the best rookie QB the last 1/3 of the season in 2021.  We have to see mostly the Bucs game type performances from him, not the other stuff.  

I really expected nothing from him coming back from injury with the o line the way it is. Maybe the way he progressed most in the last two drives was mentally and building his moxie and confidence. 

We need to see him play some games to see what we got. 

Just now, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

If he plays mostly like his rookie season, Jets have to move on from him. He has to show progression. Pundits and analysts were pretty united on saying he looked like the best rookie QB the last 1/3 of the season in 2021.  We have to see mostly the Bucs game type performances from him, not the other stuff.  

I really expected nothing from him coming back from injury with the o line the way it is. Maybe the way he progressed most in the last two drives was mentally and building his moxie and confidence. 

We need to see him play some games to see what we got. 

Yep, need to see progress and that doesn't mean a straight line up but the good needs to gain frequency in relation to the bad steadily over the course of the season.

Of course, we both know that whatever happens next week will elicit extreme over-reactions and parading victory laps. Such is fandom.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

You should read the game thread. It was a microcosm of Jets fandom. Up until 3rd quarter "he's a bust, he sucks, what QB should we draft next year?" then last 5 minutes "OMG the savior has arrived!"

Honestly, maybe I'm just getting old, I can't do it anymore. The wild emotional swings just exhaust me and make me want to go home and go to sleep lol.

I try not to read the game day thread in real time too often, but I do end up there sometimes lol... and at age 62, it is exhausting.

I mean, it's the kids opening game of his 2nd season after missing half of TC and behind a ramshackle/makeshift OL in a visiting stadium.  Kid leads the 2 4th qtr drives he's provided with for TD's to win...and we're sitting here dissecting why he's not looked so far like Aaron Rodgers.

We have idiots in some threads saying Zach didn't see maybe his 'wide open' 3rd read on a  play while completing a beautiful pass to his first read as well as wondering in this case whether Zach's 'time to throw' is due to his indecision rather than accepting it as a compliment to the time he received to make the play.

Not so sure how much more I can take of this.  People need to get a grip...stop micro dissecting every play and see big picture things.  Forest....trees...jeez.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

I feel like that was exactly what that tweet was doing. Last season, Zach was the QB who hold on to the ball the most in the entire NFL - excluding the ones who are dual threat qbs. 

This is an obvious flaw to his game, that led to catastrophic results last season and where he needs to improve. 

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I try not to read the game day thread in real time too often, but I do end up there sometimes lol... and at age 62, it is exhausting.

I mean, it's the kids opening game of his 2nd season after missing half of TC and behind a ramshackle/makeshift OL in a visiting stadium.  Kid leads the 2 4th qtr drives he's provided with for TD's to win...and we're sitting here dissecting why he's not looked so far like Aaron Rodgers.

We have idiots in some threads saying Zach didn't see maybe his 'wide open' 3rd read on a  play while completing a beautiful pass to his first read as well as wondering in this case whether Zach's 'time to throw' is due to his indecision rather than accepting it as a compliment to the time he received to make the play.

Not so sure how much more I can take of this.  People need to get a grip...stop micro dissecting every play and see big picture things.  Forest....trees...jeez.

Idiots?

That's an interesting adjectivation to people who are raising question about how someone interpret statistics on twitter.

Can I also add that WE NEVER EVER WIN THIS GAME!!! We never win a game at Pittsburgh, a game that ALL the "experts" pick against us, a game where our OLINE is iin shambles, a game where there is a late hit at the end of the half and the other team kicks a 59 yard fg, a game  where a rookie QB makes their debut, a game where all this happens and we are down 10 point in the 4th quarter, a game where we convert a 4th and 7 and a 3d and 6 in crunch time, where we overcome penalties on key drives, a fumble going into the endzone.We would have never won this game with Joe Flacco. But WE DID IT on Sunday with ZACH WILSON at Qb

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

There was a clear improvement in those last two drives, mostly the way he was handling the pocket. I do think though, that his footwork needs to be way more consistent if we want to see significant leap this season.

10 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

I feel like that was exactly what that tweet was doing. Last season, Zach was the QB who hold on to the ball the most in the entire NFL - excluding the ones who are dual threat qbs. 

This is an obvious flaw to his game, that led to catastrophic results last season and where he needs to improve. 

Do you realize that that tweet was a compliment, and not a dig?  Just asking.

the 'tweeter' was complimenting Zach on his ability to extend the play and give hime more time/options.  Unlike Flacco.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Do you realize that that tweet was a compliment, and not a dig?  Just asking.

the 'tweeter' was complimenting Zach on his ability to extend the play and give hime more time/options.  Unlike Flacco.

My problem is exactly that. The complementary perspective of the tweet, erodes the problematic side of holding the ball and spins it.

Zach's issues last season are fairly well documented when it comes to this part of his game and it feels like it was completely dismissed in the tweet.