Hall/Carter Thru 4 Games & EOY Projection

Warfish

3 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

You can just feel a big rushing game coming from Hall.  I think he will go for 150+ rushing in a game soon and eventually take take more reps from Carter

Given how good Carter is (ignoring yesterday's bad game), I think it will be a 60/40 split in favor of hall rest of year. 

• Upvote 2

Having TWO 1000 yard backs is exactly what MLF needs to keep Zack Wilson on track. And if Moore and Garrett also hit 1000 yards (unlikely) we'd have a real offense folks! But I agree with Barry that Hall seems to be becoming our work horse back with Carter the 'mix it up' back, forcing teams to prepare for both of them.

Speaking of 'preparing for both of them', are they similar in style? Neither are bruisers (although Hall seems to be better a breaking a tackle) and both are decent catching out of the BF. Carter seems to be a bit more shifty while Hall just seems faster with better vision to pick the right hole. Any other observations/differences between them that would force defenses to have 2 game plans?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

70% Hall 

30% Carter

That is what I think it needs to flip to starting this Sunday.

Yesterday it was 66% for Hall and 44% for MC1 (because sometimes they’re on the field together), and I really don’t expect that to change all that much for as long as both players are healthy. LaFluer comes from a RB by committee philosophy. He’ll play the hot hand, but will also make sure he gives each guy a break. I can see MC1 potentially morphing into more of a third down type back, especially with his receiving and pass blocking abilities, but he’ll see plenty of action on first & second downs, too. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Oddly enough, the two best runs yesterday were with Carter lead blocking for Hall on sweeps.  Not intuitive but effective.  Let's keep that going.

That was nice. So far our young players don't seem to be 'me first' type players, whining about not getting enough touches. They all seem to be unselfish and willing to do what needs to be done, even if they don't get the yards/TDs, etc.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

You can just feel a big rushing game coming from Hall.  I think he will go for 150+ rushing in a game soon and eventually take more reps from Carter

It’ll be nice to see how they use him in the 4th quarter if we ever get to protect a lead.

Despite a terrible OL, the Jets still rushed for almost 100 yards. If that line is fixed up the RB tandem could combine for nearly 200 yards in a single game I think. If Zach throws well I'm fine with more passing but establishing the run game will make Zach's inconsistency less magnified. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

So one of the more interesting aspects for me this year was the RB Tandem of Breece Hall and Michael Carter.

So now that we've completed the first 4 games of the year (1st quarter of the season), I wanted to look at how they're performing statistically, and how that projects to EOY.

So far:

Hall:  38 carries for 178 yards (4.7 YPC), 1 Rushing TD, 15 rec. for 113 yards (7.5 YPC), 1 Rec. TD, 55.6% catch percentage, 1 Fumble, 3 Drops.

Carter:  37 carries for 137 yards (3.7 YPC), 0 Rushing TD, 15 rec. for 88 yards (5.9 YPC), 0 Rec. TD, 78.9% catch percentage, 0 Fumbles, 1 Drop.

Projecting this out (presuming no major improvement or dropoff), this puts Hall at 1,236 total yards (756 rush/480 rec.) and Carter at 956 total yards (582 rush/374 rec.).

All this behind a pretty weak-so-far O-line, and 3 of 4 games with Joe Flacco.

Interesting to see that the Jets have split their duties almost 50/50 (a bit different on actual plays played I think, but I lack that metric at-hand), with 38/15 for Hall and 37/15 for Carter.  A true tandem backfield.

Personally, I think they will improve over the year (barring injury, of course), and I'm hopeful the line can still improve as well to help.  Hall especially needs to work on his drops and ball handling.  3 drops and a fumble is too much this early.

But even if not, Hall with a 1,000+ yard season as a rookie in a pairing with Carter also at close to 1,000 yards would, IMO, be a great improvement for us, and a real keystone upon which to continue to build the offense.  While not an effective (or as utilized) as I might have hoped early on, I think as the year goes on, this pairing may just come into it's own and really start being the lynchpin for our offense.

So much more can be done in the passing game if we have a solid foundation of an effective rushing game to help sell it.  Play action, rollouts, and more.

they didnt split it evenly if you look at it from snap counts - not this last game anyway

The most important ability back can have is the ability to cut.

Barkley has it, Chubb has it. Hall has better feet than both.

As far as his receiving, I'm more concerned what a back does

after the catch, It's an area where Hall excels. Our pass blocking

is poor, our run blocking is absolute sh*t, with both RBs being

hit in the backfield, just after the snap

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, slats said:

Yesterday it was 66% for Hall and 44% for MC1 (because sometimes they’re on the field together), and I really don’t expect that to change all that much for as long as both players are healthy. LaFluer comes from a RB by committee philosophy. He’ll play the hot hand, but will also make sure he gives each guy a break. I can see MC1 potentially morphing into more of a third down type back, especially with his receiving and pass blocking abilities, but he’ll see plenty of action on first & second downs, too. 

So happy to see that our running backs are giving 110%

• Haha 2