ROY Mr. Sauce Gardner

Bronx

If we are looking at the most productive/best rookie so far, it will be hard not to go with Texans rookie running back Dameon Pierce.   Granted it is only 4 games but he has been lights out.   By the time it is all said and done I expect Breece to be in that conversation too.   Having said that, Sauce has the potential to be really SPECIAL.  He keeps this up and he should definitely be in the running for defensive rookie of the year.   Although Huchinson is probably the leading candidate right now. 

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

If we are looking at the most productive/best rookie so far, it will be hard not to go with Texans rookie running back Dameon Pierce.   Granted it is only 4 games but he has been lights out.   By the time it is all said and done I expect Breece to be in that conversation too.   Having said that, Sauce has the potential to be really SPECIAL.  He keeps this up and he should definitely be in the running for defensive rookie of the year.   Although Huchinson is probably the leading candidate right now. 

Criminally underused in college but that'll work to his benefit and prolong his effectiveness as a pro.  Absolute battering ram.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

awesome, but 0 INTs.  crazy, but unfortunately people look at that as "most important".  one of my idiot VaGiants fan friends told me Revis should not be in the HOF because "he didn't have that many INTs".  are you kidding me?!?!?

Seems like he learning the game as it goes and defending the pass more than trying to get an interception.  Wait until he starts making plays for the ball  Sky's the limit.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is one of those perfect jokes I wish I’d thought of first (or at all).

Fantastic!

Thanks, Sperm.

It really was such a perfect setup.  I like to think my contribution to JN is to try to keep everyone laughing through the tears.  :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Steveg said:

Does anyone else wonder how he gets away without turning his head for the ball?

For at least some of those plays he's looking back at the ball at first, and actually turns around to watch the receiver at the end.  Like vs Jamarr Chase, 56 seconds in:

21 hours ago, thshadow said:

How has Stingley been doing?

Saw this today.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grades-all-32-first-round-nfl-rookies-week-4-2022

3. HOUSTON TEXANS: CB DEREK STINGLEY JR. LSU

Overall Rookie Grade: 45.5 (Rank: 23/31)
Principal opponent: MIKE WILLIAMS
Week 4 SNAPS: 61

The Texans are asking a lot of Derek Stingley Jr. right out of the gate. This week, he covered Mike Williams almost exclusively, and the results were pretty ugly. He had a couple of solid reps on the outside, but there were some miscommunications in the Texans' secondary and Williams gave him problems with anything in-breaking. In total, Stingley gave up 122 yards and eight catches.

4. NEW YORK JETS: CB AHMAD “SAUCE” GARDNER, CINCINNATI

Overall Rookie Grade: 71.1 (Rank: 8/31)
Principal opponent: DIONTAE JOHNSON
Week 4 SNAPS: 64

Sauce Gardner is playing as well as just about any rookie in the league this season. Against Pittsburgh, he was targeted seven times but allowed only two catches for nine yards. On top of that, he intercepted one of those targets and broke up another. He already looks like a high-level cornerback.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, Legend Killa7 said:

awesome, but 0 INTs.  crazy, but unfortunately people look at that as "most important".  one of my idiot VaGiants fan friends told me Revis should not be in the HOF because "he didn't have that many INTs".  are you kidding me?!?!?

IMO, the throws that he has faced have been those "only where the WR can catch it" type of throws.

Similar to the two TD passes that were out of bounds.  No one was stopping those passes.  

Teams already aren't challenging him 1 on 1 from what I can tell.  Obviously, zone is a little different.

When the pressure gets more consistent, (better), we will see less precise throws and the picks will come.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Good thing the awards are divided between Offensive Rookie of the Year and Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Having tickets in pocket at Pierce 40-1 and Sauce 8-1 is a good feeling right now....

• Upvote 2

he may very well be roy but there are a lot of games left and teams will start to figure him out.  right now the jets have been able to sneak up on teams.  from here on out teams will be more prepared.  the same goes for zach wilson and garett wilson.  and that's why it's not so bad having davis around.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, Steveg said:

Does anyone else wonder how he gets away without turning his head for the ball?

It's crazy, because he's absolutely out there making plays and doing very well, and yet, often looks completely accidental while doing it.

If he cleans up his technique sky really is the limit for this kid.  Getting by on athleticism for now.  Hopefully he puts it all together.