Jump to content

This Roster is filled young, exciting players - Daniel Jeremiah


Claymation
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This is a big difference between Saleh and Gase - Gase had no patience for playing rookies and never developed them.

To be fair, there have been plenty of lumps - Wilson and Breece have had drops; Breece had a fumble. Sauce has had some communication issues. But, I am still good for this process. We have rookies, 1 year and 2 year players that are stepping up.

Did we have that many talented rookies when Gase was around though?

I couldn't wait for Gase to be gone but he coached some really crappy teams.  Saleh at least has a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Did we have that many talented rookies when Gase was around though?

I couldn't wait for Gase to be gone but he coached some really crappy teams.  Saleh at least has a chance.

I assume he had a rookie or two :-)

I have blocked out most of those years, but I remember complaining that he wouldn't leverage Bilal (not a rookie) and more.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

But the tackle injuries affect the whole line.  AVT getting moved to tackle hurts the oline imo.

Yes, but at this point Herbig at RG and AVT at LT is much better than AVT at RG and someone like McDermott or one of the newly signed guys who don't even know the O to play LT. We have to play our best players even if they are out of position. It kept the Steelers from getting much pressure on Zack and hopefully it continues that way.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

This is a big difference between Saleh and Gase - Gase had no patience for playing rookies and never developed them.

To be fair, there have been plenty of lumps - Wilson and Breece have had drops; Breece had a fumble. Sauce has had some communication issues. But, I am still good for this process. We have rookies, 1 year and 2 year players that are stepping up.

Gase played Becton, and Mims plenty and both have pretty much disappeared since he left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

becton and clarke

Not sure I would classify Clark as a failure.  The early reports were he was coming along, and the guy suffered a career-ending injury.  That can happen to any player.  

Becton is probably a lost cause.  He was a BIG boom or bust pick - literally. 

I would LOVE to see two developmental picks next year on the line.  And we need another Center.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

becton and clarke

Clark?  You can’t be serious. He got injured and had to retire or risk paralysis. Yeah Douglas knew that would happen when he drafted him. How freakin dumb does one need to be.  Jets fans. I tell ya. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Clark?  You can’t be serious. He got injured and had to retire or risk paralysis. Yeah Douglas knew that would happen when he drafted him. How freakin dumb does one need to be.  Jets fans. I tell ya. 

Was he drafted by the jets or not?

Was becton drafted by the jets or not?

Two olineman taken and about 10 games played.  No one cares why guys do not turn out.  If guys you draft do not contribute at all you get fired.

Now please tell me why John Idzik was a tremendous GM because how could he have foreseen that none of these guys would turn out.

 

  • Thumb Down 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

only because there was no vet. Bell, and when Bell went down, he went to some other vet - can't remember...

Because that is how the roster was constructed.  If he wanted vets he would not have gone into the season with nothing but those two.  He got Gore because he liked Gore.  The rookie you wanted him to play was LaMichael Perine.  Looking back, does that really seem like a miscarriage of justice? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Was he drafted by the jets or not?

Was becton drafted by the jets or not?

Two olineman taken and about 10 games played.  No one cares why guys do not turn out.  If guys you draft do not contribute at all you get fired.

Now please tell me why John Idzik was a tremendous GM because how could he have foreseen that none of these guys would turn out.

 

Look you have every right to criticize his 2020 draft.  But I mean you can’t kill him for Clark.  That was just an awful situation that nobody could have seen coming.  If you want to say they should have drafted Whirfs instead of Becton that’s also understandable  but Becton did show a lot of promise in his rookie year.  Nobody saw back to back season ending injuries coming 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Because that is how the roster was constructed.  If he wanted vets he would not have gone into the season with nothing but those two.  He got Gore because he liked Gore.  The rookie you wanted him to play was LaMichael Perine.  Looking back, does that really seem like a miscarriage of justice? 

He had Bilal and wouldn't play him. Bell was done; so was Gore, but he just kept giving him the rock. And, instead of getting better towards the end of the season, these guys just ran out of juice. As far as how the roster was constructed, it was clearly his wish for it to be that way. This board was going crazy with the refusal to play the younger players, but now we look back with nostalgia?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Was he drafted by the jets or not?

Was becton drafted by the jets or not?

Two olineman taken and about 10 games played.  No one cares why guys do not turn out.  If guys you draft do not contribute at all you get fired.

Now please tell me why John Idzik was a tremendous GM because how could he have foreseen that none of these guys would turn out.

 

So Joe and his staff should get fired? There is a big difference between a draftee not contributing because he is injured as opposed to just not having talent. A GM that can't properly evaluate talent has no business being a GM.

A GM who has been unlucky with injuries but can evaluate talent, will eventually hit on his draftee based on the law of averages. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

He had Bilal and wouldn't play him. Bell was done; so was Gore, but he just kept giving him the rock. And, instead of getting better towards the end of the season, these guys just ran out of juice. As far as how the roster was constructed, it was clearly his wish for it to be that way. This board was going crazy with the refusal to play the younger players, but now we look back with nostalgia?

This might be the strangest take I have ever read.  Your argument is that Gase refused to play the young guys and your argument is ... that he wouldn't play Bilal Powell?  A 31 year old RB that never had another carry in the NFL after that season?  

You say that the roster construction was on Gase, but then don't think he had anything to do with playing Becton and Mims? 

I have no nostalgia for Adam Gase.  He sucked.  The roster sucked.  The idea of hiring him was ridiculous from the jump.  Still don't think it had anything to do with refusing to play youth.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Did we have that many talented rookies when Gase was around though?

I couldn't wait for Gase to be gone but he coached some really crappy teams.  Saleh at least has a chance.

Yes, Mac was, IMO, the worst GM the Jets have ever had, but also can't imagine one being much worse - anywhere, anytime.  He lacked the very basic fundamentals for the role.  So Gase didn't really have a chance...

With that said - Gase was a lunatic - and should have been nowhere the HC spot on an NFL team.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

So Joe and his staff should get fired? There is a big difference between a draftee not contributing because he is injured as opposed to just not having talent. A GM that can't properly evaluate talent has no business being a GM.

A GM who has been unlucky with injuries but can evaluate talent, will eventually hit on his draftee based on the law of averages. 

What?  Never said that.  I said if you draft enough players that do not turn out you get fired....see Idzik.

No one cares why they did not turn out.

Douglas is a pretty good GM, best we have had for some time.  He is not perfect.

His last two drafts have been good.  His acumen for making trades is excellent.

His first draft was very poor, his FA efforts have been spotty.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What?  Never said that.  I said if you draft enough players that do not turn out you get fired....see Idzik.

No one cares why they did not turn out.

Douglas is a pretty good GM, best we have had for some time.  He is not perfect.

His last two drafts have been good.  His acumen for making trades is excellent.

His first draft was very poor, his FA efforts have been spotty.

If I'm the owner, I care. If my FO is missing on players like Stephen Hill. I care. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Claymation said:

 

This part is critical. I think its really important that even though we feel like we don't suck, we can't let the universe know that. We must all be diligent with our negativity - its the only way to win. 

 

If you see me being negative during game threads just know....I'm doing it for us

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What?  Never said that.  I said if you draft enough players that do not turn out you get fired....see Idzik.

No one cares why they did not turn out.

Douglas is a pretty good GM, best we have had for some time.  He is not perfect.

His last two drafts have been good.  His acumen for making trades is excellent.

His first draft was very poor, his FA efforts have been spotty.

Sounds good to me!! Not gonna hang on the past for a first poor draft with a former coach. As long as he keeps it going like he did the last two. 

This next off sesason will show a lot. He won't have those multiple 1st and 2nd round picks to make all those big moves. He'll have to sit tight for the most part and make sure to hit on those few picks he does have.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

 

These stats go against some of the narratives people have been saying here - particularly against the coaching staff.  Which is not to say that there haven't been some bad mistakes made.  The roughing-the-passer penalties and other dumb personal fouls have pointed to a lack of discipline, but the first item on this list seems to contradict that.  

The late hits on the QB have plagued this team before Saleh and Co. got here, and I think they have more to do with the fact that the best pass rushers on this team have been good enough to apply pressure but haven't been good enough to seal the deal with consistent sacks.  Add the frustration that comes with near-missing all the time to an "all gas no brakes" mentality, and guys aren't stopping when they need to.  Still, the coaching staff needs to solve the problem somehow, because these penalties of over-aggressiveness have been killers.  If the most relentless player on the team, Micheal Clemons, can be disciplined about pulling off after the QB gets rid of the ball, everybody else sure can.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...