This Roster is filled young, exciting players - Daniel Jeremiah

Claymation

15 minutes ago, MykePM said:

These stats go against some of the narratives people have been saying here - particularly against the coaching staff.  Which is not to say that there haven't been some bad mistakes made.  The roughing-the-passer penalties and other dumb personal fouls have pointed to a lack of discipline, but the first item on this list seems to contradict that.  

The late hits on the QB have plagued this team before Saleh and Co. got here, and I think they have more to do with the fact that the best pass rushers on this team have been good enough to apply pressure but haven't been good enough to seal the deal with consistent sacks.  Add the frustration that comes with near-missing all the time to an "all gas no brakes" mentality, and guys aren't stopping when they need to.  Still, the coaching staff needs to solve the problem somehow, because these penalties of over-aggressiveness have been killers.  If the most relentless player on the team, Micheal Clemons, can be disciplined about pulling off after the QB gets rid of the ball, everybody else sure can.

To me, the other contrarian item is that most of the dumb penalties, metal mistakes and physical flubs have been committed by the veterans, not the rookies. I have no idea how to explain that, other than the rookies might be more receptive to listening? But that does bode well for when the youngins become the vets. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you know his assignment?  Wasn't it 3rd and long?  In that case, containment is not that big of an issue with a QB that you should be able to run down.  Not saying that was the case but I certainly am not sure

A DE is responsible for containment unless he has a blitzing LB to the inside or a stunt is being run and the DT has the outside contain. Otherwise the DE is supposed to  contain and the interior linemen collapse the pocket into the QB. Why in the world would you ever want any QB to be able to break the pocket and have more time to find an open receiver forcing your DBs to cover longer?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

A DE is responsible for containment unless he has a blitzing LB to the inside or a stunt is being run and the DT has the outside contain. Otherwise the DE is supposed to  contain and the interior linemen collapse the pocket into the QB. Why in the world would you ever want any QB to be able to break the pocket and have more time to find an open receiver forcing your DBs to cover longer?

Okay, fair enough.  If that is ya fact, then why are people complaining about Lawson being nothing but a bull rush?   If you can't go inside the T, how many choices do you have? 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay, fair enough.  If that is ya fact, then why are people complaining about Lawson being nothing but a bull rush?   If you can't go inside the T, how many choices do you have? 

I'm not saying you can't ever go inside. It's a risk you take to try to make a play.  If you want to make a spin move inside, it is on you to get the QB, but if the QB breaks the pocket to your side, that is on you. Players make plays. The good ones make the inside moves payoff more often than not by getting to the QB. The average to not so good players get caught up inside, the QB breaks contain and they eventually lose their job. It just seems to me (I have no data to back it up ) that in the last 3 games the Jets lost contain too many time and have allowed the QB to escape the pocket to have more time to try to make a play. 

It's like a CB trying to jump an out route when he doesn't have Safety help over the top.  If the CB makes the play, he looks great, but if he misses the ball, the WR may go the distance.    

• Upvote 2