OT: Baker Mayfield - What Happened?

slimjasi

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nothing happened, he was never that good.

He went to a team with an oline, weapons, defense and great running game and thus looked decent but just like Mark Sanchez the moment he was expected to take that next step and be really good he fell on his ass.

He would have been Darnold bad from day one if he as saddled with the utter schlock talent and coaching Darnold had to deal with.

Sanchez fell on Brandon Moore’s ass! 

• Thumb Down 1

The panther situation is a mess and only a housecleaning is going to do it.

They guy took a lot of heat in ny and alot was deserved but I remember before the draft gettleman being asked about the top 3 qb’s in the draft and him stating he did not like any of them.

turns out he was right.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nothing happened, he was never that good.

He went to a team with an oline, weapons, defense and great running game and thus looked decent but just like Mark Sanchez the moment he was expected to take that next step and be really good he fell on his ass.

He would have been Darnold bad from day one if he as saddled with the utter schlock talent and coaching Darnold had to deal with.

We make it like Mayfield and Sanchez was a bad thing.  For a rookie QB contract, a team got a QB motivated for a second contract who helped their team compete.  Sanchex took the Jets to 2 AFCCGs!  It was not his fault that Tannenbaum gave him too good of a contract too early.  

The Browns knew that Mayfield was not the answer.  They should not have taken year 5.  I will be very surprised if the Jets extend Wilson/take the 5th year option.  

• WTF? 1

I wanted Baker drafted by us because I didn't think Darnold was an option and didn't like Rosen but this here speaks for itself..

Ummm and this was taken from a Panther Forum board which I visit...

Few Panther fans are saying that Baker is better than Sam and that is scary with how poorly Darnold played last year despite the bad OL!!!

This tells all you need to know about Baker Mayfield... :( 

image.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

In his first four games as a Panther, Darnold was 99/146 (67.8%) for 1189 yards and 5 TDs and 3 ints for a traditional passer rating of 95.4. Darnold had three 300+ yard games at that point, Mayfield has had three sub-200 yard games at the same marker. 

Glad to help. 

GIF by Hyper RPG

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I wanted Baker drafted by us because I didn't think Darnold was an option and didn't like Rosen but this here speaks for itself..

Ummm and this was taken from a Panther Forum board which I visit...

Few Panther fans are saying that Baker is better than Sam and that is scary with how poorly Darnold played last year despite the bad OL!!!

This tells all you need to know about Baker Mayfield... :( 

image.png

Pretty sure Darnold was in the same spot on this chart last year. Rhule is awful. 

And look at Geno. Damn, good for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, slats said:

Pretty sure Darnold was in the same spot on this chart last year. Rhule is awful. 

And look at Geno. Damn, good for him. 

I agree 100%!!

I truly believe no one player can overcome institutional ineptitude.

And no matter what anyone thinks we clearly dodged a bullet in NOT HIRING MATT RHULE!!

Rhule is as you said…….Awful!! 

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, varjet said:

Zach Wilson currently is far behind where Baker was in his year 2.   Baker had some great games, made the playoffs and provided the Browns fans with good entertainment.   The Browns exercised his 5th year option and then traded him to the Panthers for partial/low recovery on this guaranteed salary and some draft picks. 

Let's see what the Jets do with Zach's 5th year option at the end of his year 3.  I think Zach will provide the Jets fans with some entertaining football, but I am not seeing them exercise the option.  FT Wilson if he is good after year 4.  

Ok, here is a change for me

Zach dating to last seasons last 3 games is playing excellent football and making smart decisions.  Why would you not pick up his option?

15 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You excel at making dumb statements, but this one is going to be tough to beat.

Personally I never liked Baker and would never had traded Darnold for him when Darnold was on the Jets. Never understood all the hype around him. The Browns actually are a decision to win, they needed him to throw less. 

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

yeah  that McCaffery guy really sucks

Darnold was actually looking pretty good last year until McCaffery got hurt. I haven’t seen them this year, so I don’t know what Mayfield’s excuse is. Like I said, part of it has to be Rhule’s offense not translating to the pros. Ironically, the way Mayfield has fallen on his face there may give Darnold another shot. Between Gase and Rhule? Doesn’t get too much worse. I can almost guarantee there’s a coach out there who can’t wait to fix Sam. 

14 hours ago, Trotter said:

The panther situation is a mess and only a housecleaning is going to do it.

They guy took a lot of heat in ny and alot was deserved but I remember before the draft gettleman being asked about the top 3 qb’s in the draft and him stating he did not like any of them.

turns out he was right.

I don't  think Allen was rated behind Rosen. Just on arm talent and athleticism  he had to be rated higher. I liked Allen a lot better than Rosen even with the accuracy  knock on him but figured the Jets had Rosen rated higher

14 hours ago, varjet said:

We make it like Mayfield and Sanchez was a bad thing.  For a rookie QB contract, a team got a QB motivated for a second contract who helped their team compete.  Sanchex took the Jets to 2 AFCCGs!  It was not his fault that Tannenbaum gave him too good of a contract too early.  

The Browns knew that Mayfield was not the answer.  They should not have taken year 5.  I will be very surprised if the Jets extend Wilson/take the 5th year option.  

This is really hilarious.  Only Jets fans talk like this

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Allen was rated behind Rosen. Just on arm talent and athleticism  he had to be rated higher. I liked Allen a lot better than Rosen even with the accuracy  knock on him but figured the Jets had Rosen rated higher

From what I remember - most of the so called experts had it Darnold, rosen and Baker with Allen 4th.

I agree with you that had the gints taken darnold, the jets were taking rosen.

Obviously Allen has proven them all wrong, however, being fair, I did not want the Jets to take him because of the accuracy issues.

Guess you can fix that although it does not happen often 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

From what I remember - most of the so called experts had it Darnold, rosen and Baker with Allen 4th.

Obviously Allen has proven them all wrong, however, being fair, I did not want the Jets to take him because of the accuracy issues.

Iirc, it was Darnold and Rosen early in the process, but then as the spring wore on Rosen started dropping and Mayfield rose. I don’t recall Allen getting much, if any, love. Still, Mayfield going number 1 was a draft day shock. Darnold was penciled in that slot by almost everyone for over a year up until that morning when the rumor broke that Dorsey would take Baker. Fwiw, I think Mac had a hand in that. I believe that Dorsey wanted to take Barkley #1 and Mayfield at #4, but Mac pretty much saying that Mayfield would not get past #3 threw a wrench in those works. Giants maybe/probably take Darnold if Barkley is off the board there. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

IMHO, Baker needs to be benched when Sam Darnold is ready to go. 

AM I RIGHT @jgb? Lol

Can’t believe I’m saying this but not sure it matters. Remember the story about King Midas? Matt Rhule is his lesser-known cousin Prince Pyrite.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trotter said:

Allen is a rather spectacular outlier.  QB's that are as inaccurate as him rarely have success at the NFL level.  As in "almost never".

And Jackson is still mostly a runner who can also play QB.  Just plays QB much better than most thought he would.

I very much wanted Mayfield.  I liked his fire.  And completion percentage!

But others made arguments for Darnold and Rosen too, and all three have been busts basically.  

But really, for me, this class was just a consolation price for missing out in the Watson/Mahomes draft. 

Watson was my guy all the way.  Embarassing tho that is now in hindsight, personality wise, he was exactly what I hoped he be as a QB.

But yeah, recent best QB's (Mahomes, Allen) I wasn't interested in either.  Clear unambiguous misses on my part.

Where QB prospects go is more important than talent and ability 

initially 

they need to be developed correctly before doubt and bad habits become ingrained. 

put Mahomes on the jets and start him right away and he’s a different QB

put Darnold on the chiefs and let him sit a year and he’s different 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 10/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, varjet said:

Zach Wilson currently is far behind where Baker was in his year 2.   Baker had some great games, made the playoffs and provided the Browns fans with good entertainment.   The Browns exercised his 5th year option and then traded him to the Panthers for partial/low recovery on this guaranteed salary and some draft picks. 

Let's see what the Jets do with Zach's 5th year option at the end of his year 3.  I think Zach will provide the Jets fans with some entertaining football, but I am not seeing them exercise the option.  FT Wilson if he is good after year 4.  

What in the world does this thread have to do with Wilson?

• Upvote 2