OT: Baker Mayfield - What Happened?

slimjasi

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Allen was rated behind Rosen. Just on arm talent and athleticism  he had to be rated higher. I liked Allen a lot better than Rosen even with the accuracy  knock on him but figured the Jets had Rosen rated higher

He wasn’t.  For most of two years it was Darnold, Rosen right behind him and then Allen.  Allen had all the tools but was inaccurate in a small school

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s a tale as old as time. If the blow jobs don’t ruin them, the commercials will. 

If you’re dumb enough to take that parking lot blow job, with the risk of people finding out and all that would lead too, you’re too stupid to play NFL football and be the face of an organization.  
Yes, it’s the beginning of the end.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Allen was rated behind Rosen. Just on arm talent and athleticism  he had to be rated higher. I liked Allen a lot better than Rosen even with the accuracy  knock on him but figured the Jets had Rosen rated higher

It was wacky and really depended on who you asked.  The more analytical guys despised Josh Allen.  The traditional “Quarterbacks can’t be scouted successfully using nothing but math” people loved Allen.  Built like a bull, howitzer for an arm, mobile, pro style offense, etc., but had very little around him so they chalked up his low completion percentage to that.

In hindsight, I still think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Allen was a nightmare as far as his mechanics were concerned, which lead to some awful missed throws, but his raw tools were still there to help him while he got that sorted out early on in his career.  I think his development was handled absolutely perfectly by the Bills, and I’m not sure he is the player he is today if he were drafted by, say, Cleveland, like some rumors suggested he might be at 1OA.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, slats said:

I laughed today with the QBR discussion regarding Zach and the rest of his class. I remember @Green Ghost being a big fan of the QBR stat when his favorite young QB, Baker Mayfield, was being compared to Sam Darnold. Today, Baker is the lowest rated QB by that metric by a large margin at 15.4, lol. Fields is next at 25.9, then, of course, Flacco comes in third. 

A big takeaway, I think, is that Matt Rhule absolutely sucks. 

That made me laugh :) QB stuff QB stuff more QB stuff....Rhule sucks

And you are 100% correct. I do not see how Rhule could survive more than a few more weeks if he continues losing. It is to the point where he should maybe consider something crazy at QB like snagging Streveler and running a RPO offense just to try and be non awful at QB. The truly interesting thing of course is we now know that the Jets probably did wind up with the better of Mayfield and Darnold but also that both suck donkey balls as QBs. Let's face it, if Sam was healthy this wee he would start.

Also think Reich might be canned before the season ends.

Speaking of crappy QBs when do people realize that Wentz should not be starting football games. He had like one 5 game stretch that he looked great and has been dreadful since and I have read that he is a total douche nozzle as well.

57 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It was wacky and really depended on who you asked.  The more analytical guys despised Josh Allen.  The traditional “Quarterbacks can’t be scouted successfully using nothing but math” people loved Allen.  Built like a bull, howitzer for an arm, mobile, pro style offense, etc., but had very little around him so they chalked up his low completion percentage to that.

In hindsight, I still think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Allen was a nightmare as far as his mechanics were concerned, which lead to some awful missed throws, but his raw tools were still there to help him while he got that sorted out early on in his career.  I think his development was handled absolutely perfectly by the Bills, and I’m not sure he is the player he is today if he were drafted by, say, Cleveland, like some rumors suggested he might be at 1OA.

I actually think if he was taken by almost any other team Allen would have been a bust. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I wanted Baker drafted by us because I didn't think Darnold was an option and didn't like Rosen but this here speaks for itself..

Ummm and this was taken from a Panther Forum board which I visit...

Few Panther fans are saying that Baker is better than Sam and that is scary with how poorly Darnold played last year despite the bad OL!!!

This tells all you need to know about Baker Mayfield... :( 

image.png

GENOOOOO

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I actually think if he was taken by almost any other team Allen would have been a bust. 

Seattle was interested, and I could have seen that working out, but yeah, it would have had to been the right fit to get similar results.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Baker here as a Jets QB and he would have been run out here fast.

Folks defending him and pretending that the people in Panther Country like him!

Here is a video:

No they don't looky here..... see some comments...

Example...

G Slang

Baker is the worst QB to ever wear the uniform. Jimmy was better. Once again, the players are in a position to make the plays to win the game, but they don't. Missed passes, missed handoffs, dropped balls on 3rd down. Deflected balls.. Procedure penalties..

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Seattle was interested, and I could have seen that working out, but yeah, it would have had to been the right fit to get similar results.

Part of why I believe Zach will ultimately succeed is that the Jets are handling Zach in much the same way Allen was by surrounding him with the best talent possible. Differences obviously are our failures at T and Zach's two knees but he looked athletic and mobile Sunday so hopefully they are not something that will happen again

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Allen would have been a bust! The key is the Bills as an organization had a REAL Plan!!

The Bills for example... didn't run out and fail to get a QB coach or folks out of football for five years like Jeremy Bates, or then get a coach who REFUSED to use pre-snap motion to help his QB when QBs like Brady, and Aaron Rogers insist on it!!! 

Again when the offense was to complicated for Allen the Bills created a makeshift training area for him to break down precisely what Allen could do so that he could be effective in real game situations.   They didn't imply that Allen was too stupid to learn the offense or undermine him with teammates!  The result is Allen is NOW one of the best players in the entire NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Good teams that try to win like the Bills aren't doing obviously stupid things and then wondering why it isn't working! 

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That made me laugh :) QB stuff QB stuff more QB stuff....Rhule sucks

And you are 100% correct. I do not see how Rhule could survive more than a few more weeks if he continues losing. It is to the point where he should maybe consider something crazy at QB like snagging Streveler and running a RPO offense just to try and be non awful at QB. The truly interesting thing of course is we now know that the Jets probably did wind up with the better of Mayfield and Darnold but also that both suck donkey balls as QBs. Let's face it, if Sam was healthy this wee he would start.

Also think Reich might be canned before the season ends.

Speaking of crappy QBs when do people realize that Wentz should not be starting football games. He had like one 5 game stretch that he looked great and has been dreadful since and I have read that he is a total douche nozzle as well.

That is an interesting thought. Mayfield’s numbers had always been much better than Darnold’s but, internally, the Browns could’ve easily reviewed the film and made the determination that Mayfield was the problem holding back a talented team. That would certainly explain the aggressive move to fully guarantee a serial sexual predator $240M. 

Rhule isn’t gonna change. He has god behind him. He’s gonna get fired and never sniff the NFL again.

I was a believer in Reich, but Pederson is looking like the smarter one again right now.

Haven’t watched much of Wentz, but he was having an MVP season before he got hurt and watched Foles win the Super Bowl with his team. Either that situation broke him psychologically, or that team was so talented that Captain Morgan could’ve won a Super Bowl with them. Foles never really looked very special again. 

I do think that Mayfield’s absolute garbage play is gonna open the door to another opportunity for Darnold. He was a massive prospect when he came out. Everybody loved him, and he’s now played for two **** coaches for two **** organizations. There’s no doubt in my mind that there’s a GM/coach out there who’s gonna at least be willing to bring him in for a starting job. Maybe he does a year as a backup again… ? But he’s gonna get a shot. Honestly, probably Mayfield, too. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

That is an interesting thought. Mayfield’s numbers had always been much better than Darnold’s but, internally, the Browns could’ve easily reviewed the film and made the determination that Mayfield was the problem holding back a talented team. That would certainly explain the aggressive move to fully guarantee a serial sexual predator $240M. 

Rhule isn’t gonna change. He has god behind him. He’s gonna get fired and never sniff the NFL again.

I was a believer in Reich, but Pederson is looking like the smarter one again right now.

Haven’t watched much of Wentz, but he was having an MVP season before he got hurt and watched Foles win the Super Bowl with his team. Either that situation broke him psychologically, or that team was so talented that Captain Morgan could’ve won a Super Bowl with them. Foles never really looked very special again. 

I do think that Mayfield’s absolute garbage play is gonna open the door to another opportunity for Darnold. He was a massive prospect when he came out. Everybody loved him, and he’s now played for two **** coaches for two **** organizations. There’s no doubt in my mind that there’s a GM/coach out there who’s gonna at least be willing to bring him in for a starting job. Maybe he does a year as a backup again… ? But he’s gonna get a shot. Honestly, probably Mayfield, too. 

When asking the question "can Darnold ever get a starting job again", before you laugh and answer, replace the name "Darnold" with "Geno".

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

When asking the question "can Darnold ever get a starting job again", before you laugh and answer, replace the name "Darnold" with "Geno".

Yeah, it’s not gonna take nearly as long. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, it’s not gonna take nearly as long. 

Just off the top of my head.

In the next year or two:  IND, HOU, NO, ATL, TB, CAR, maybe PIT, maybe NYG, maybe SEA, maybe MIA.

Longer term, MIN, TEN, LAR, GB, maybe CLE (let's see what happens with Watson).

There are always opportunities but those first few are all treading water with no boat in sight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

If you’re dumb enough to take that parking lot blow job, with the risk of people finding out and all that would lead too, you’re too stupid to play NFL football and be the face of an organization.  
Yes, it’s the beginning of the end.  

The blow job thing was what? 4 years ago, and never substantiated beyond the story some whore told a shock jock on the radio.

Baker has made about $50 million since then between football and endorsements. I’d say he’s done okay.

As far as the beginning of the end comment? Yeah… he’s playing poorly right now, but I’m surprised to see you acting  like one of the guys you always call out for talking out of their a** about nonsense just because you don’t like the guy…

It’s sad to see. i thought you were better than that.

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Geno situation is pretty unique. Practically a journeyman and now playing at a pretty high level. We will see if it can hold up but you sort of have to be impressed.

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

The blow job thing was what? 4 years ago, and never substantiated beyond the story some whore told a shock jock on the radio.

Baker has made about $50 million since then between football and endorsements. I’d say he’s done okay.

As far as the beginning of the end comment? Yeah… he’s playing poorly right now, but I’m surprised to see you acting  like one of the guys you always call out for talking out of their a** about nonsense just because you don’t like the guy…

It’s sad to see. i thought you were better than that.

I am better than tha, lol.  I never liked Baker.  Didn’t find his attitude cool, didn’t laugh off his arrest and ball grab etc.  it’s not out of the ass talk, it’s stuff he’s done, on top of the problems I saw in his game, that’s all 

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

The difference is no one outside of McAdoo looked at Geno as a guy that they feel they can fix. He was considered a done deal and probably would be out of the league if it wasn’t for Pete taking a liking to Smith. 

With Sam I can see a team giving him an opportunity much faster than Smith ever got. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This is actually why I really like Allen as a player. Good to see the nerds failing miserably.

It's a damn shame he landed in the Jets' division as he's such a fun player to watch. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ultraJETfan said:

Not to make a cop out for Sam but boy did he get a raw deal. Drafted to the Jets, Bowles, than Gase and now Rhule with an owner worse than Woody. Sheesh. 

Would be nice to see him have some kind of Tannenhill resurgence somewhere else.

Nothing against Darnold as a human being but to resurge, you need to have a surge in the past. Tannehill did -- two 4,000 yard seasons and one at 3,900+ in Miami. Interesting factoid -- all three of Tannehill's best yardage seasons were in MIA, not TEN.

If Darnold becomes a mid-level or better starter, it would be more accurate to call it a "surgence."

On 10/4/2022 at 4:34 PM, Charlie Brown said:

I wanted Baker here as a Jets QB and he would have been run out here fast.

Folks defending him and pretending that the people in Panther Country like him!

Here is a video:

No they don't looky here..... see some comments...

Example...

G Slang

Baker is the worst QB to ever wear the uniform. Jimmy was better. Once again, the players are in a position to make the plays to win the game, but they don't. Missed passes, missed handoffs, dropped balls on 3rd down. Deflected balls.. Procedure penalties..

Haha he’s shaming him because people were dumb enough to pay money to see him and people bought his T-shirt. He should be shaming the organization for picking him up and convincing themselves he’s the answer. Did they look at the talent he had on Cleveland? Dude played on an All Star team there. The Browns let him go to pick up a serial sexual assault predator instead of keeping him. Uhhhhh? Hello!!!