Tyreek Hill acknowledges NY/NJ state taxes played role in decision to go to Dolphins

AFJF

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The pizza in the south does suck, but everything else is better. Enjoy your ridiculous taxes, high prices, regulations and crappy weather. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Dude, there's life outside NY/NJ.   It amazing how blind we are when there. I have never met a fellow NY/NJer who has moved that regrets it.

Jokes on you I live in PA.  Yes the weather does suck but I’d take any winter over zero winter.

The only thing I like less than Jersey is Tyreek Hill it seems.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't know that I would agree with that my friend.  

Bagels, those are lacking, no question.

But I think there are several places that do a "close enough" pizza.

Or maybe you lived in NY longer than me, and have better taste, that's always possible. 

For me "NY Pizza' is really just "Vincent's in Lynbrook".

I'm actually surprised how meh the pizzas I've had in NYC in my adult years have been mostly.

Don't agree. Call my fat ass and show me. I'm buying !!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

Enjoy all your sponging off the “high tax” states that put all the money into the kitty that the south is perfectly happy to dip into while criticizing the states that contribute. Moochers and spongers 

States dont pay taxes I dont think.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The pizza in the south does suck, but everything else is better. Enjoy your ridiculous taxes, high prices, regulations and crappy weather. 

Fall asleep in the backyard here...  maybe a bird poops on ya.

Fall asleep in the backyard in Florida...  get eaten by a gator or crushed by a boa constrictor.

• Haha 3

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

Damn. More than half the people on this forum don't even live in the NYC tri state area and yet still root for this complete and utter sh*tshow of a team, a team that has been more horrid than good over at least the last 30 years. 

I mean, good for you all and your fabulous lifestyle choices living somewhere else in the country, but I really have to question your misguided, outdated geography based fandom. I mean, there are like 28 other teams less f*cked up to root for, one might even be near your (somewhat) new home!

Instead, you flog your genitals with a meat tenderizer every Sunday watching the Jets because you fell out of vagina in rooting vicinity of the Jets. I swear, our parents have a lot to answer for. 

Being a Jets fan stopped being a choice around the time I was 11.  

And I can't even blame my parents on this one.  My Dad didn't care all that much about the NFL until I did.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are we not talking about north vs south here?  The people who moved south didn't all go to Florida.

Actually, all the Yankees in NC did make it to Florida. They took one look around and pulled a u-turn and went halfway back.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Being a Jets fan stopped being a choice around the time I was 11.  

And I can't even blame my parents on this one.  My Dad didn't care all that much about the NFL until I did.  

Actually, same here. My dad didn't care that much about football either and if he did, he was a Giant's fan because of the YA Tittle years. 

I guess this sickness is more individually based. 

I should talk. I'm an avid Knicks fan. 

Oh, look at time. I'm late for my whippings down the club. She doesn't approve of me being late. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I always wondered why leagues like the NFL do not have a break out for cost of taxes say, as teams like the NYJ and NYG are beholden to where they’re located and their tax rates. Something like, you sign a player to a generic contract for a certain value of ‘take home’  pay, which counts against the cap at that value too…then you can have teams in high tax states cover the cost of the state taxes to make the playing field even. 

doesn’t sound so hard to do. 

Hmmm...so other than a 4 page debate on the relative merits of NY/non-NY pizza and bagels (we have plenty of good pizza and bagel choices here in N FL St Augustine where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fellow NYer) or everyones weather preferences, since this a NYJ football board and this issue affects the NYJ and other NFL teams based on their 'location' when it comes to signing FA's and the fact that to pay a FA an equal amount of 'take home' pay would require the NYJ to lay out like 10% more per season AND count that 10% premium against our 'cap'...can we debate/opine as to whether this needs to be accounted for by the league?  Seems it's pretty important overall despite what you may or may not have wanted in this particular case.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep we discussed this in some detail.

OK I went into detail, as I’m prone to doing, but still.

This isn’t an extra $50K, where he could make it back in 4 min from higher-paying local promotions. It was millions. Every year.

Then yeah he already lives down there in the offseason, but who’d uproot his home in the tropics to move up here to this sh** and pay millions extra in taxes for that privilege?

Also eff him, he’s a disgusting scumbag. Hopefully this is his last productive season and Miami’s paying him ~$30MM/yr for 3 more years after he’s had an obvious lost step. 

He'll be paying NJ income tax for every away game vs the Jets and Giants, regardless.  Gov Murphy should collect it from him at MetLife this Sunday.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Hmmm...so other than a 4 page debate on the relative merits of NY/non-NY pizza and bagels (we have plenty of good pizza and bagel choices here in N FL St Augustine where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fellow NYer) or everyones weather preferences, since this a NYJ football board and this issue affects the NYJ and other NFL teams based on their 'location' when it comes to signing FA's and the fact that to pay a FA an equal amount of 'take home' pay would require the NYJ to lay out like 10% more per season AND count that 10% premium against our 'cap'...can we debate/opine as to whether this needs to be accounted for by the league?  Seems it's pretty important overall despite what you may or may not have wanted in this particular case.

Wasn't there a thing in Tennessee about this with the Predators? Something like Tennessee had an outrageous tax on athletes so the NHL ended up covering some of it...? Maybe I'm nuts. 

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

Actually, all the Yankees in NC did make it to Florida. They took one look around and pulled a u-turn and went halfway back.

I love the South but not the biggest fan of Florida. Then again some say it's not the 'South'. Florida is Florida.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's a reason every NFL player has a foundation and it's not because they're such wonderful people or the PR

Don’t get me started on the BS foundations.  Most dont last very long. Private 501 organizations that less than half the money goes to charity.  

Ive done tax work for many pro athletes and have seen it 1st hand.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Wasn't there a thing in Tennessee about this with the Predators? Something like Tennessee had an outrageous tax on athletes so the NHL ended up covering some of it...? Maybe I'm nuts. 

I'm not sure about that, but it just seems in this case that with a REVENUE SHARING LEAGUE with a 'hard cap'...and with some teams/players having a higher cost of doing business in their environment, things should be made more equal.

How can you have a 'hard cap' with teams in different tax environments and have it be fair/equitable?  In this example, the Dolphins gave Tyreek $30M/yr say...to match that the NYJ would have had to offer $33 mill to get the same pay to the player.  As far as Woody's money, well that's on him (and it is)...but that extra $3 million if Woody decided to pay it counts against OUR cap.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Damn. More than half the people on this forum don't even live in the NYC tri state area and yet still root for this complete and utter sh*tshow of a team, a team that has been more horrid than good over at least the last 30 years. 

I mean, good for you all and your fabulous lifestyle choices living somewhere else in the country, but I really have to question your misguided, outdated geography based fandom. There are like 28 other teams less f*cked up to root for, one might even be near your (somewhat) new home!

Instead, you flog your genitals with a meat tenderizer every Sunday watching the Jets because you fell out of a vagina in rooting vicinity of the Jets. I swear, our parents have a lot to answer for. 

There is nothing worse than adults changing teams.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I'm not sure about that, but it just seems in this case that with a REVENUE SHARING LEAGUE with a 'hard cap'...and with some teams/players having a higher cost of doing business in their environment, things should be made more equal.

How can you have a 'hard cap' with teams in different tax environments and have it be fair/equitable?  In this example, the Dolphins gave Tyreek $30M/yr say...to match that the NYJ would have had to offer $33 mill to get the same pay to the player.  As far as Woody's money, well that's on him (and it is)...but that extra $3 million if Woody decided to pay it counts against OUR cap.

Agreed. It's why I always ignore any talk about a team in England. Nearest opponent is a 6+ hour flight and good luck getting free agents. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I somehow doubt that tons of those tax dollars are going to farms, but OK.  

And in any case we're talking about state taxes, not federal taxes, so....

You’re joking right?

https://work.chron.com/much-subsidized-farmers-paid-20223.html

“Excluding loans and insurance payments, farmers received a record $46.5 billion from the government for 2020. That includes pandemic-related food relief, compensation for low prices and compensation for lost trade due to tariff disputes. The money was divided among what the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) says were 2.2 million farms.”

And there’s no relationship between local and federal taxes … ???

23 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The richer markets spread their revenue to the poorer ones. They figured that out, the next step in equalizing salaries can’t be that complicated 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Xtina said:

The richer markets spread their revenue to the poorer ones. They figured that out, the next step in equalizing salaries can’t be that complicated 

The tv contracts pays for everything. Nothing to do with individual markets.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Xtina said:

You’re joking right?

https://work.chron.com/much-subsidized-farmers-paid-20223.html

“Excluding loans and insurance payments, farmers received a record $46.5 billion from the government for 2020. That includes pandemic-related food relief, compensation for low prices and compensation for lost trade due to tariff disputes. The money was divided among what the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) says were 2.2 million farms.”

And there’s no relationship between local and federal taxes … ???

lol I stand corrected!

Thank you for subsidizing our Bojangles chicken, northerners.  

• Upvote 1