Tyreek Hill acknowledges NY/NJ state taxes played role in decision to go to Dolphins

AFJF

So say a $30M salary is $15 million after taxes in NY, vs $18M after taxes in FL.  Would you personally live a different lifestyle making $15M / year, vs $18M / year?  Yeah, the difference is $3M, but what is that going to allow you to get that you couldn't otherwise?  I know rich people say enough is never enough, but if he preferred the Jets otherwise (not saying he did), I'd rather make $15M playing in a place I like vs $18M playing in a place I don't like.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anyway on balance yeah it wasn't even close. By signing with Miami instead of the Jets, he likely saved more $ in taxes than most fans watching him will accumulate in lifetime AGI totals.

this is all true but there's no connection between Florida teams and winning traditions because of low state taxes

the Patriots from *Checks Notes* Massachusetts had a friggin 6 ring dynasty. The LA Rams from California are the reigning champions 

it's not like the Miami Marlins are some kind of powerhouse in baseball, where there is no salary cap 

it could be that the type of player who makes decisions purely on money isn't really a champion anyway  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, thshadow said:

So say a $30M salary is $15 million after taxes in NY, vs $18M after taxes in FL.  Would you personally live a different lifestyle making $15M / year, vs $18M / year?  Yeah, the difference is $3M, but what is that going to allow you to get that you couldn't otherwise?  I know rich people say enough is never enough, but if he preferred the Jets otherwise (not saying he did), I'd rather make $15M playing in a place I like vs $18M playing in a place I don't like.

It's more than that when you factor in local and property taxes. Also pro athletes tend to spend a lot too lol. If Tyreek likes NY I'm sure he can buy a sweet condo anywhere in Manhattan..but I get the impression he likes Florida.

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes... a Florida player pays tax in all states where he plays. So..at least 50 percent of his income is NOT taxed.

Then, endorsement money is Florida domicile as well. Huge difference.

Exactly...and  a NY player pays taxes in all states where he plays PLUS NY tax for all the rest...i.e., the 8 home games.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's all personal preference, but IMO Florida has horrible weather.  Hot, humid, rainy, and the storms (as we have just seen).  It's ok for a getaway in January/February, but I'd rather have my teeth pulled than live in Florida.  

Oh aye, absolutely.  You couldn't pay me to live in Florida tbqh, for several reasons.

I'm more a Mid-Atlantic guy.  Outer Banks is just about right for me, but as you say, personal preference.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's more than that when you factor in local and property taxes. Also pro athletes tend to spend a lot too lol. If Tyreek likes NY I'm sure he can buy a sweet condo anywhere in Manhattan..but I get the impression he likes Florida.

All true....BUT:

My point in this thread is that the money aspects of players take home pay in a Revenue Sharing Cap Controlled league for Cap purposes, should be 'normalized' to account for a KNOWN value such as State Income Tax...a published, well known, absolute number.

I understand human nature and some prefer FL or NY....but the take home money differential aspect should be minimized in a cap controlled and revenue sharing league is what I am saying.

2 hours ago, thshadow said:

It just depends on where you like to live.

If you like both about the same, I'll take the 18.  Also, a lot of people don't want to live in the north east.

17 hours ago, thshadow said:

If he's not spending money like a child, and nowadays that's a BIG IF, $3 million is a lot. Hell, I know if I had $3 million to buy properties 7 years ago when I moved to Gulf Shores I'd be beyond loaded now. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, thshadow said:

These guys are mostly not from big cities and they don't like NY. 

• Upvote 2