Rex Ryan: Zach Wilson most talented Jets QB since Namath

Rhg1084

Well, that has been obvious from the start…

He implements a disappearing act when faced with a rush and can flick the ball on a rope.  

As @FL Green Blood pointed out last night, once he learns to consistently step up in the pocket and deliver those ropes like he did in the 4th quarter instead of backpedaling… the Jets are in business…

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Well, that has been obvious from the start…

He implements a disappearing act when faced with a rush and can flick the ball on a rope.  

As @FL Green Blood pointed out last night, once he learns to consistently step up in the pocket and deliver those ropes like he did in the 4th quarter instead of backpedaling… the Jets are in business…

Agreed.....if he can be more accurate with touch on short throws and learn how to climb the pocket to deliver strikes he’ll be a franchise QB. IDK if he ever puts it all together but I think we find out sooner then later...

• Upvote 2

It's just interesting how narratives are set - the press, especially those who were skeptical, love a comeback victory.

There's a part of me that always thought the two dropped pass by Justin McCarriens @ the end of the Baltimore game kinda f***ed Kellen Clemens' career trajectory. That would've been a hell-of-a road victory/comeback story back then and perhaps a spark to a better career.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

42 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Check MY post from YESTERDAY, this is exactly what I wrote, “Wilson has the most raw talent of any Jet QB drafted since Joe Namath” (my chest is now out and I’m struttin hahaha)…..either Rex and I think alike, but I’m thinking he’s secretly on the JetNation boards .

You guys are absolutely right! Zach does have the most raw talent of any Jet QB since Joe Namath. The question with Zach is can he stay healthy and can he become more consistent. Zach does seem to have a switch. When the game is on the line he stands in the pocket and finds the open receiver and he will take a hit from oncoming traffic. In the second quarter with a lead I dont think he stands in that pocket to take that hit and deliver the ball - he would rather scramble and look for a big play - which might not be the worst thing in the world cause  he would take a pounding if he stood in there all game. So maybe we are starting to see what kind of player Zach will turn into.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That 180 Ryan did after bashing Saleh and then chatting with him personally is incredibly weird. 
What did Saleh say to him?!

You know where to find me, fatso. I’ll leave your vistors pass at security.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, how much real competition would there be:

Ken Obrien: Too inconsistent

Vinny T: One year wonder

Chad P: Weak arm and got serious injuries

Mark Sanchez: Extremely bad decision making

It's not like there have been very good QB play on this team ever since Namath.

That’s not the point, not really comparing Wilson to those who came after Namath because they won’t come close to measuring up to Wilson, most likely when all is said and done.

You see Wilson throwing bullets over the middle and the receiver actually has time to make not just one but two football moves?  Most QBs who make that throw get their receiver wrecked.  That’s serious arm talent.  So Wilson has that.  He also can run like a deer, so could Namath, but not in the pros.

“Whoooosh”….Wilson has that kind of arm….you give Wilson some time with the guys up front, he has some nice fancy toys at all the skill positions now, whereas in his rookie season he had none, let him have time to learn how to translate the mental side to the field (he’s very very smart, I saw him analyzing plays on the chalkboard at BYU, very impressive)…….he’s just going to be DEADLY…..just like Namath.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, how much real competition would there be:

Ken Obrien: Too inconsistent

Vinny T: One year wonder

Chad P: Weak arm and got serious injuries

Mark Sanchez: Extremely bad decision making

It's not like there have been very good QB play on this team ever since Namath.

q0bizd.gif

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1