Rex Ryan: Zach Wilson most talented Jets QB since Namath

Rhg1084

19 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, how much real competition would there be:

Ken Obrien: Too inconsistent

Vinny T: One year wonder

Chad P: Weak arm and got serious injuries

Mark Sanchez: Extremely bad decision making

It's not like there have been very good QB play on this team ever since Namath.

Ken Obrien was a top 10 QB for a bunch of his years.   including several top 5 years.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

He clearly is

Though Darnold was probably the most physically talented Jets QB since Namath before Zach came into the picture.

It all comes down to him continuing to grow and start playing like he did in the 4th quarter Sunday on a regular basis.

You can’t deny the kids arm talent and athletic ability.

If it all comes together, he has legitimate Top 5 QB potential and this team could be set up for contention for the next decade plus.

Just now, Warfish said:

And yet, apparently you deny Ken O'Brien's arm talent. 

Kenny O' easily had the arm Wilson does, if not quite a bit more arm.

Sure, he was a statue, but that was an era of (mostly) pocket-passing statue QB's.  

Wilson may (and we all hope will be) a top 5 QB.

Kenny O WAS a top 5 QB a couple of times, and was Top 10 in other years.

Kenny O never gets the respect he earned by this fanbase.  Still the 2nd best QB in our history in every way.

I think people have an unfair bias against him because we didn’t just take Marino 

• Upvote 4

Is this an overreaction from Rex designed to grab a headline? Of course. But looking at our history of QB, it isn't crazy to say he is the most innately talented from a tools perspective. In terms of athleticism and arm talent he is the best QB we have had this century. (No disrespect to Pennington, he was obviously a better QB but physically can't do the things Wilson can.)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And yet, apparently you deny Ken O'Brien's arm talent. 

Kenny O' easily had the arm Wilson does, if not quite a bit more arm.

Sure, he was a statue, but that was an era of (mostly) pocket-passing statue QB's.  

Wilson may (and we all hope will be) a top 5 QB.

Kenny O WAS a top 5 QB a couple of times, and was Top 10 in other years.

Kenny O never gets the respect he earned by this fanbase.  Still the 2nd best QB in our history in every way.

Mobility has to be factored in when discussing physical ability, especially in the modern era.

Kenny was a statue even by 80’s standards. And as soon as the Jets OL started to deteriorate about 5 years into his career, he completely went to hell in a hand basket and was never the same.

Sure, he’s still the 2nd best QB in Jets history and had a handful of really good seasons, but most people outside of this fanbase don’t even remember the guy.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Sign Rex tomorrow as DC and we make a playoff run period. 

Uh, no.

Far too many here seem to forget that the last time Rex Ryan was heard from as a coach, the following happened:

• 2013-14:  The Jets defense allowed 24+ ppg each year, good for 19th and 24th in the NFL, respectively
  • 2015-16:  Rex took a Bills D that was top 5 under Jim Schwartz and ran it into the ground, with players on the Bills D criticizing the playcalling/philosophy
  • 2018:  Rex couldn't even get an interview for the U of Miami HC position 

The game passed him by.  

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Mobility has to be factored in when discussing physical ability, especially in the modern era.

Kenny was a statue even by 80’s standards. And as soon as the Jets OL started to deteriorate about 5 years into his career, he completely went to hell in a hand basket and was never the same.

Sure, he’s still the 2nd best QB in Jets history and had a handful of really good seasons, but most people outside of this fanbase don’t even remember the guy.

I'm going to get bombed for this, but if we are talking about physical talent (including arm strength), its probably this guyGeno_smith_2016.thumb.jpg.f038443e75c91cc78fa3264d2d3cab92.jpg:

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=10104

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm going to get bombed for this, but if we are talking about physical talent (including arm strength), its probably this guyGeno_smith_2016.thumb.jpg.f038443e75c91cc78fa3264d2d3cab92.jpg:

Not at all!  It’s the truth.  I honestly believe that what we’re seeing this season from Smith is “what could have been” if the kid grew up a little bit faster.  As a prospect, I always loved Geno.  He had it all.  He was the only thing that got in his own way.  To his credit, he seems like he finally “gets it” and is having a Fitzpatrick like renaissance, later in his career.

As for arm talent, I’d say the arm strength is very similar, but Smith has a tiny bit of a wind-up, whereas Wilson has the quick compact release, which gives him the edge for me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So far this season, only Tua Tagovailoa (?!?) and Patrick Mahomes have a better passer rating than Geno. I don’t think anyone saw that coming. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

So far this season, only Tua Tagovailoa (?!?) and Patrick Mahomes have a better passer rating than Geno. I don’t think anyone saw that coming. 

Definitely didn’t see it coming, but I’ve quietly been a Tua fan since his ‘Bama days.  It hurt so badly to see the Dolphins draft him because I wanted to genuinely root for that kid.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Not at all!  It’s the truth.  I honestly believe that what we’re seeing this season from Smith is “what could have been” if the kid grew up a little bit faster.  As a prospect, I always loved Geno.  He had it all.  He was the only thing that got in his own way.  To his credit, he seems like he finally “gets it” and is having a Fitzpatrick like renaissance, later in his career.

As for arm talent, I’d say the arm strength is very similar, but Smith has a tiny bit of a wind-up, whereas Wilson has the quick compact release, which gives him the edge for me.

Except he hasn’t grown up at all. Still an entitled man child.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed on the bolded part, but I think Geno was faster (he's older now) as far as 40s go. Both are ironically almost the same height and size coming out of college. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Agreed on the bolded part, but I think Geno was faster (he's older now) as far as 40s go. Both are ironically almost the same height and size coming out of college. 

I would have definitely loved to have seen Zach’s 40 time at his pro-day but alas…

Geno definitely had wheels.  I’m happy for the kid.  Always felt that he he would do some things in this league if he could mature.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, jgb said:

Except he hasn’t grown up at all. Still an entitled man child.

I mean, I haven’t heard about anything that’s plagued him since the NYG days, but I have to admit, I haven’t been following that closely.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:17 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

Well, we can only hope.  The Wilson haters will always find something to bitch about.  If we ever won a SB with this kid and he happened to throw two picks, they would concentrate on the two picks.  

thats this fan base. the only reason nobody says anything bad about Namath is that 95% of us never seen him play. if we did ........

Namath was bad. he didnt make good decisions. didnt you see the Raider game in 1971. he left Maynard wide open and threw a pick to coast us the game. lol