Highest PFF Grade: 2022 1st round Edge

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

At WR, 

Drake London = 79.8

Chris Olave = 76.0

Garrett Wilson = 74.6

Treylon Burks = 65.0

Christian Watson = 56.1

@Paradis who told us there were no round 1 WRs in this draft.  Just busting on you ;)

Ugh please don’t ever quote me and PFF. They are the worst. Maybe others see value in other areas, but when it comes to receivers, they’re flat out liars/inaccurate. Look up Dyami Brown “zero drops” online for a laugh (courtesy of yours truly)

anyway Watson has been as wish washy as I expected, and Treylon has struggled to hit the ground running as predicted. London has been on the boom side of the boom/bust (thankfully, I was rooting for him) but I don’t see comedy in my takes.

You were right tho, we went headfirst into a WR in rnd 1 a so you nailed that. I had Pickens as 1, then Wilson then London (or some variation there of). Pretty comfortable with that so far. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

This defense desperately needs an enforcer in the middle or punisher.  Looks like Mosely done and maybe lost too much weight or something.

we needs some Tackles too but I hope we get a 1st rounder like Noah Sewell next draft

Kwon is pretty violent. Slowly becoming one of my favorite players.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

This defense desperately needs an enforcer in the middle or punisher.  Looks like Mosely done and maybe lost too much weight or something.

we needs some Tackles too but I hope we get a 1st rounder like Noah Sewell next draft

Bring back The Hitman. 

9 hours ago, pointman said:

Bring back The Hitman. 

after I posted I thought I would go check how Sewel was doing this year so I checked out a bit of the Georgia game and you know who he reminded me of?  Mosely... and not Mosely of few years ago but of yesterday....so scratch Sewel off my list have to find another.  I want a Marvin Jones, David Harris, Harry Carson type and I dont care if it is mismatch for this defense I am sick of 200lb ILBs that are just there to be extra DB dangit.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I do too but he feels like a 1 year rental

They moved a lot of Mosley’s money forward to create cap room this year, but he still has two years of $17M per that is not guaranteed. He’ll be 31 next season. Alexander is two years younger making just $1.1M this year. If JD can sign Kwon to a two year extension at (probably more but still) reasonable money, it may make it more palatable to take Mosley’s dead cap hit next year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

They moved a lot of Mosley’s money forward to create cap room this year, but he still has two years of $17M per that is not guaranteed. He’ll be 31 next season. Alexander is two years younger making just $1.1M this year. If JD can sign Kwon to a two year extension at (probably more but still) reasonable money, it may make it more palatable to take Mosley’s dead cap hit next year. 

yeah but he is not a true ILB im looking for.  Yeah if they can resign him good because you need a few but I wanna see a 245-255 lb who can punish a big back like Chubb but still runs 4.6s or less... big ask I know.

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Through 4 weeks:

Jermaine Johnson = 74.5 

Kayvon Thibodeaux = 66.4

Travon Walker = 63.3

Aidan Hutchinson = 57.5

George Karlaftis = 49.7

Not a perfect evaluation tool although I find it to match the eyes for defensive line more than for some of the other positions.

Hutchinson has 3 sacks (all in 1 game), Johnson has 1.5 plus another tackle for loss, and Walker has 1.

Johnson is separating on run defense.  His sack numbers are more limited due to the Jets ‘popular’ Dline rotation but he has converted 3 pressures into 1.5 sacks.

The Jets draft class is looking awesome!!  I’m very bullish on the progress JJ is making.

I am warming up to the guy.  I was expecting him bust but he has done well. His sack was very impressive.  It wasn't  the QB rolling into his lap, or a coverage sack, he flat-out beat his man and bam, QB on the ground. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

after I posted I thought I would go check how Sewel was doing this year so I checked out a bit of the Georgia game and you know who he reminded me of?  Mosely... and not Mosely of few years ago but of yesterday....so scratch Sewel off my list have to find another.  I want a Marvin Jones, David Harris, Harry Carson type and I dont care if it is mismatch for this defense I am sick of 200lb ILBs that are just there to be extra DB dangit.

Well, Marvin Jones without all the injuries would be nice. 

15 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

yeah but he is not a true ILB im looking for.  Yeah if they can resign him good because you need a few but I wanna see a 245-255 lb who can punish a big back like Chubb but still runs 4.6s or less... big ask I know.

It is a big ask. These guys are all about speed everywhere over size. But with the DL looking pretty good (will they pay Q?) and the secondary overhaul coming into focus, the LB position could be a place where they spend a day one or two pick next year. I’d almost expect it. If they don’t move on from Mosley, or have him take a massive pay cut, next year, they’ll have to do something the following year when he’s 32. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I am warming up to the guy.  I was expecting him bust but he has done well. His sack was very impressive.  It wasn't  the QB rolling into his lap, or a coverage sack, he flat-out beat his man and bam, QB on the ground. 

I did not love the JJ pick. Probably my least favorite in the entire draft this year. When there was talk about taking him as high as #4, I was concerned. On that sack, he had help from the inside, but that was a great play. He is who I expected him to be for the most part, but better. I didn’t expect a pure edge rusher (which is more of what I wanted), but instead a Bryan Thomas type who just sets the edge well regardless of the situation. And he’s proving to be very effective at that. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I remember that 1st game of his where he attacked the LOS like a ballistic missile and it was an awesome hit on someone...but he did get hurt on it.

The game that stands out for me in his rookie season was the goal line stand tackle against the Giants. Solo effort against  Bunch.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

JJ has played well but he still seems like a high motor fundamentally sound guy who will never be an elite rusher. He’s just not going to test good tackles with his speed/bend.

I don’t know about that.  I just read a couple pre-draft scouting reports on what I consider a different mold of an elite edge rusher:  guys like TJ Watt & Trey Hendrickson.  These were not considered twitchy athletes with elite get off.

However all 3 of these guys (including Johnson) had elite overall relative athletic scores.  Explosive athletes with excellent strength & footwork.  Add to that top tier technique, instincts and motor & you have yourself a potential elite Edge.

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

JJ has played well but he still seems like a high motor fundamentally sound guy who will never be an elite rusher. He’s just not going to test good tackles with his speed/bend.

2 sacks in his first 4 games in very limited snaps...

idk man, that's pretty good, not saying you're wrong but pretty good so far...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I don’t know about that.  I just read a couple pre-draft scouting reports on what I consider a different mold of an elite edge rusher:  guys like TJ Watt & Trey Hendrickson.  These were not considered twitchy athletes with elite get off.

However all 3 of these guys (including Johnson) had elite overall relative athletic scores.  Explosive athletes with excellent strength & footwork.  Add to that top tier technique, instincts and motor & you have yourself a potential elite Edge.

Big difference is that Watt and Hendrickson had elite agility grades per RAS whereas Johnson ducked that testing - and I think when you watch him you can see why. Just looks a little stiff and didn't have the vert to make you think he'll be crazy explosive to make up for it. That said there's more to the sport than testing numbers, they're important for edge but not everything. It'd be awesome if they found something late first though

Also a) the Jets need edge setting in the run game so if he can bring that with above average pass rush that's nice and b) they have accumulated a bunch of pressure guys and even if Johnson isn't awesome there if he's got a knack for finishing that has value with this group.

Realistically kind of like AVT at tackle let them get their best four OL out there last week, if Johnson is good enough setting the edge that their best four has JFM inside and Johnson at his spot but they trust him to hold up that'd be a big win. Same deal with Clemons, who I think fits nicely in the JFM role long term. I think they may still need that terror off the edge after this year but if they'll rotate and those guys can play in both phases that's nice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

It is a big ask. These guys are all about speed everywhere over size. But with the DL looking pretty good (will they pay Q?) and the secondary overhaul coming into focus, the LB position could be a place where they spend a day one or two pick next year. I’d almost expect it. If they don’t move on from Mosley, or have him take a massive pay cut, next year, they’ll have to do something the following year when he’s 32. 

I did not love the JJ pick. Probably my least favorite in the entire draft this year. When there was talk about taking him as high as #4, I was concerned. On that sack, he had help from the inside, but that was a great play. He is who I expected him to be for the most part, but better. I didn’t expect a pure edge rusher (which is more of what I wanted), but instead a Bryan Thomas type who just sets the edge well regardless of the situation. And he’s proving to be very effective at that. 

I was expecting them to draft one this past draft but they took Ruckert instead...but now I want one higher (1st/2nd) next year even if they keep both Kwon and Mosely next year.

13 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Through 4 weeks:

Jermaine Johnson = 74.5 

Kayvon Thibodeaux = 66.4

Travon Walker = 63.3

Aidan Hutchinson = 57.5

George Karlaftis = 49.7

Not a perfect evaluation tool although I find it to match the eyes for defensive line more than for some of the other positions.

Hutchinson has 3 sacks (all in 1 game), Johnson has 1.5 plus another tackle for loss, and Walker has 1.

Johnson is separating on run defense.  His sack numbers are more limited due to the Jets ‘popular’ Dline rotation but he has converted 3 pressures into 1.5 sacks.

The Jets draft class is looking awesome!!  I’m very bullish on the progress JJ is making.

At corner, where I believe PFF is more flawed:

Sauce Gardner= 71.1

Derek Stingley = 45.5

The Texans GM will quickly regret his selection.

At WR, 

Drake London = 79.8

Chris Olave = 76.0

Garrett Wilson = 74.6

Treylon Burks = 65.0

Christian Watson = 56.1

@Paradis who told us there were no round 1 WRs in this draft.  Just busting on you ;)

meg ryan orgasm GIF

• Haha 3

Clemons doesn't have the same toolbox of pass rush moves as Johnson right now, but I like his potential.  He's sort of a "just plow ahead" bull rusher right now.  But he is obviously a huge guy with long arms - more of a traditional defensive end than a true "edge".  I can't wait to see him fill out a bit and get up around 285-290, maybe develop a couple of go to pass rush moves to go with a bull rush.....

Through 4 weeks:

Jermaine Johnson = 74.5 

Kayvon Thibodeaux = 66.4

Travon Walker = 63.3

Aidan Hutchinson = 57.5

George Karlaftis = 49.7

Tell me JJ is a pass rusher w/o telling me JJ is a pass rusher:

Quinin Williams' sack totals takes on a surprising upwards trajectory. Inside and outside pressure work hand-in-hand. They both need to be on the field at the same time! DOIT SALEH!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

That’s too heavy for a LB in a 4-3 D.