Highest PFF Grade: 2022 1st round Edge

2 hours ago, slats said:

They moved a lot of Mosley’s money forward to create cap room this year, but he still has two years of $17M per that is not guaranteed. He’ll be 31 next season. Alexander is two years younger making just $1.1M this year. If JD can sign Kwon to a two year extension at (probably more but still) reasonable money, it may make it more palatable to take Mosley’s dead cap hit next year. 

The way I look at Mosley’s dead cap is different than most, I guess. My take is it doesn’t matter whose name it’s under. They needed cap room late in the 2022 summer. If they had a similar opportunity to move ‘22 hits to the future, for a guy who was 100% going to be here next year, they’d have done that just for the optics. The guys with the biggest salaries that could’ve been pushed to the future - enough to bother with the exercise - were all guys who either had expiring contracts (e.g. Fant, McGovern) or whose ‘23 roster spot might only get solidified with a probowl-ish season (e.g. Mosley, Lawson, JFM, and maybe Davis). 

Ultimately it makes no difference ledger-wise for 2023 whose cap hit gets moved, even if it was a player with another year or two of a future here; its fungible, and dollars are dollars. They don’t count any more or hurt any worse because Mosley is playing like a has-been who deserves to get the axe.

As you point out the thing with Mosley is he has 2 more years not guaranteed at $17MM per, and I can’t see him getting even 1 year of it. So to many - and I expect to see more groans in the spring - it looks worse on paper than it is. Mosley will have a dead cap amount instead of a player whose here merely having a higher, more-bloated cap number. But there was no one else to shuffle in that regard, and in the end it leaves the same amount of $ available to spend on others.

It’s pretty unlikely that Douglas wasn’t aware of all of this when he approached Mosley for that restructure. I just hope in the end he doesn’t let the beat writer optics get the better of him & keep Mosley for another year at a lower amount. He’s awful. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

JJ is active, you see him impacting the run d.  Another good pick.

That's the thing.  He's going to be a really, really good all around defender on the line.  His run stopping is excellent.  I think he'll be an average pass rusher off the edge.  Probably a 6-7 sack per year guy.  All in all, that's a good edge defender.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

JJ has played well but he still seems like a high motor fundamentally sound guy who will never be an elite rusher. He’s just not going to test good tackles with his speed/bend.

He's on a pace for around 10 sacks and even though he is a little older for a rookie, I am perfectly happy with using a first on him if he is a solid run stuffer and 10 sack a year guy. That is really valuable.

13 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

This defense desperately needs an enforcer in the middle or punisher.  Looks like Mosely done and maybe lost too much weight or something.

we needs some Tackles too but I hope we get a 1st rounder like Noah Sewell next draft

You know JD was pissed when Mosley sat the COVID year, contract rolled.  He either won’t be back or will be significantly renegotiated down next year.

Next off season I expect a new Center and 1-2 LBers.  Kwon has looked very good though.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Whats your point, that you can come up with a handful of names who aren’t the ideal size to play 4-3 LB?  Because you think the key to stopping the run is to be 255lbs? 

1st off stop putting words in my mouth because of your poor argument.  I said find an ILB in draft between 245-255 that can run 4.6 or less in round 1/2.  I did not say just get a big 255 to solve all problems which yo are making up for some silly argument here.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The way I look at Mosley’s dead cap is different than most, I guess. My take is it doesn’t matter whose name it’s under. They needed cap room late in the 2022 summer. If they had a similar opportunity to move ‘22 hits to the future, for a guy who was 100% going to be here next year, they’d have done that just for the optics. The guys with the biggest salaries that could’ve been pushed to the future - enough to bother with the exercise - were all guys who either had expiring contracts (e.g. Fant, McGovern) or whose ‘23 roster spot might only get solidified with a probowl-ish season (e.g. Mosley, Lawson, JFM, and maybe Davis). 

Ultimately it makes no difference ledger-wise for 2023 whose cap hit gets moved, even if it was a player with another year or two of a future here; its fungible, and dollars are dollars. They don’t count any more or hurt any worse because Mosley is playing like a has-been who deserves to get the axe.

As you point out the thing with Mosley is he has 2 more years not guaranteed at $17MM per, and I can’t see him getting even 1 year of it. So to many - and I expect to see more groans in the spring - it looks worse on paper than it is. Mosley will have a dead cap amount instead of a player whose here merely having a higher, more-bloated cap number. But there was no one else to shuffle in that regard, and in the end it leaves the same amount of $ available to spend on others.

It’s pretty unlikely that Douglas wasn’t aware of all of this when he approached Mosley for that restructure. I just hope in the end he doesn’t let the beat writer optics get the better of him & keep Mosley for another year at a lower amount. He’s awful. 

Thank you.  You have almost certainly guaranteed that Mosley will tear the crap out of the Dolphins on Sunday because it's been that kind of season :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

1st off stop putting words in my mouth because of your poor argument.  I said find an ILB in draft between 245-255 that can run 4.6 or less in round 1/2.  I did not say just get a big 255 to solve all problems which yo are making up for some silly argument here.

Your statement was we need lbs between 245-255.  All I said is that’s not the ideal weight for a 4-3 defense.  And your reply is that’s the silly point because that one, short comment was true.  Got it.