Jump to content

Thank you JD


Reasonable Jets Fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Bronx said:

Can you honestly blame the fans for the irrationality created from years of irrationality?

And if we thud to earth next week (or fail to score on a potential game-winning drive), it’ll be back to “everyone sucks fire all.”

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hawk said:

Douglas has completely transformed the roster from bottom tier talent to above average talent at nearly every position.

It's not bizarre, it's taking an objective look at what has actually happened and not looking for any excuse to hate on the team, the organization, or its brass.

Then they should have no problem getting to at least 8 wins this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, hawk said:

Douglas has completely transformed the roster from bottom tier talent to above average talent at nearly every position.

It's not bizarre, it's taking an objective look at what has actually happened and not looking for any excuse to hate on the team, the organization, or its brass.

His FA/roster moves mainly have been at least average... some total disasters, some pretty darn good.  His 2021 and 2022 drafts are solid which IMO is his number 1 job.  Had he not shlt the bed with the 2020 draft, we'd be in 1st place.   One more solid draft, a few roster moves and we will have a solid roster.  Imagine Zach plays just slightly above average, say 10-13 in the league.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Spending 2 extra 3rds for a versatile OL that has now proven he can play at 4 of the 5 OL spots on the line at an NFL level... Yes... That is worth it.. 

But the OL can also be in shambles at the same time... Because it is losing 4 starting tackles since training camp... 

And the RBs are good, but they need to stop losing OL to get consistency... 

So yes all of those statements can be true at the same time

Are you sure it was worth it?  They could have had Darrisaw and two more decent rated offensive linemen.  Yes Jaylen Mayfield and Wyatt Davis haven;t been so great, but say Brady Christiansen and Kendrick Green?  Seems like that would have been a win to me.

  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude threw 3 picks in 2 qrts. Your right, Pickett didn't  factor into the it at all. I agree Zach was clutch but Pickett sucked. 

Eh. Oversimplifying things. Pickett did not play that bad. He really only made ONE big mistake. That was the INT he threw to the sideline when he was under heavy pressure. You have a lead, you are in FG range, its the 4th quarter. You throw it away. Period, end of sentence. He forced it to a guy in coverage and it lead to a critical INT. 

His other INTs- a Hail Mary and a shot he took deep (his first throw), you can't really fault him for. The latter, his 6'-4" receiver should have probably made a much better effort to go up for or at least make incomplete. Either way, not a huge mistake. He took a shot. 

Pickett also had 2 rushing TDs. Big ones that gave Pitt the lead and put them in the drivers seat after Mitch was benched.  

Zach made mistakes, the O-line struggled. Zach had one bad INT where he threw it to no-mans land and he had one INT which was tipped and was not really his fault. But he was clutch. This is why the Jets won. It's not that they were particularly good. It's that they were clutch both on offense and defense. And thats what it takes to win these types of close games.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He asked for 6, got 6. Woody, could have easily said nope. The JohnsonsI bought was he was selling. One of the major changes not discussed much is that Saleh reports to him, not Woody. Something I believe never done under the Johnson ownership.
I think he’s doing a fine job  but as we all know, it’ll all come down to Zach.
Patience 
Johnson only had the coach and GM on equal footing during the Mac years.

When Idzik was GM, the coach (Rex) reported to Idzik, not Woody. When both were fired, Woody changed the reporting structure because of how things had been with Idzik / Rex. Whether true or not, Rex claimed that he didn't raise the issues he had because he wouldn't go over his boss's head - so Woody only got Idzik's certain of events even though Idzik and Rex didn't see eye to eye.

Having the GM and coach on equal footing was supposedly to make sure both could talk direct to Woody to address any tension or issues. This then reverted to form when JD was brought on board, and JD was allowed to hire (and fire) the coach. Which he did.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Johnson only had the coach and GM on equal footing during the Mac years.

When Idzik was GM, the coach (Rex) reported to Idzik, not Woody. When both were fired, Woody changed the reporting structure because of how things had been with Idzik / Rex. Whether true or not, Rex claimed that he didn't raise the issues he had because he wouldn't go over his boss's head - so Woody only got Idzik's certain of events even though Idzik and Rex didn't see eye to eye.

Having the GM and coach on equal footing was supposedly to make sure both could talk direct to Woody to address any tension or issues. This then reverted to form when JD was brought on board, and JD was allowed to hire (and fire) the coach. Which he did. emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
 

I probably like Rex considerably more than the next guy, but if this was true how did Rex get Tannenbaum fired? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Then they should have no problem getting to at least 8 wins this season.

I mean, they could. 

It would be nice if they got some consistency of healthy starters at the OT position. And at QB. Lest we forget that this was the first game our starting QB played this season. 

But I think this team can beat the Pats, they can beat the fish without tua, they can beat the Bears, Lions, Hawks, Jags. There ARE winnable games down the road- especially if they stay relatively healthy and Zach gets this offense into a rhythm. 

I'm not saying it will definitely happen. But, its not a 'crazy' thought. And its all because of JD and what he did the past two seasons. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I mean, they could. 

It would be nice if they got some consistency of healthy starters at the OT position. And at QB. Lest we forget that this was the first game our starting QB played this season. 

But I think this team can beat the Pats, they can beat the fish without tua, they can beat the Bears, Lions, Hawks, Jags. There ARE winnable games down the road- especially if they stay relatively healthy and Zach gets this offense into a rhythm. 

I'm not saying it will definitely happen. But, its not a 'crazy' thought. And its all because of JD and what he did the past two seasons. 

I dont think its crazy either. What we thought was a very daunting schedule has actually turned out to be not that bad as teams havent looked as good as we thought.

8 wins is not some crazy ask, and it's very doable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t believe that was the case.

Maybe someone with better memory than me wishes to chime, great.

I found this article ... it talks of when Idzik over-ruled Ryan about which QB to play (Smith over Vick). It refers to Rex telling "his boss" that "you can make that call, but not the plays". 

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/sports/football/jets-rex-ryan-and-john-idzik-in-tug-of-war-to-salvage-some-dignity.html

Also found this one about the mistake Johnson made by insisting that the new GM retain the incumbent coach : https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/sports/football/rex-ryan-and-john-idzik-fired-as-ny-jets-begin-overhaul-.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I probably like Rex considerably more than the next guy, but if this was true how did Rex get Tannenbaum fired? 

Same article as posted above https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/sports/football/jets-rex-ryan-and-john-idzik-in-tug-of-war-to-salvage-some-dignity.html

It refers to the decision to keep Rex after firing Mike T as follows:

Quote

Upon replacing Mike Tannenbaum with Idzik, Johnson no doubt believed he was doing the right thing for Ryan, enamored as he was of the coach’s charming audacity and appreciative of the consecutive A.F.C. championship games Ryan steered the Jets to in his first two seasons.

I'd read from this that Woody just liked Rex too much to get rid of him ... so although he had to make a change after two failed seasons, he couldn't fire the coach. He got rid of the GM, brought in Idzik ... ugh, what a mess.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 3 years we went from needing an upgrade at every position but SS (Jamal), FS (Maye) and one DT spot (Quinnen) to needing upgrades at a very small number of positions to field a real challenger for the hardware.  Every single starter but Quinnen has been replaced and in almost every case, upgraded. 

LT and C and probably one more OL position TBD, LB, and probably one Safety spot.  That's pretty much what's left.  We needed 20 new starters.  Now we need about 5.  In three years.  The Kicker position also seems to be solved and P as well.  Hard to argue with that being substantial progress.  This is assuming Zach works out, but based on where we were, I like our odds better now.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In 3 years we went from needing an upgrade at every position but SS (Jamal), FS (Maye) and one DT spot (Quinnen) to needing upgrades at a very small number of positions to field a real challenger for the hardware.  Every single starter but Quinnen has been replaced and in almost every case, upgraded. 

LT and C and probably one more OL position TBD, LB, and probably one Safety spot.  That's pretty much what's left.  We needed 20 new starters.  Now we need about 5.  In three years.  The Kicker position also seems to be solved and P as well.  Hard to argue with that being substantial progress.  This is assuming Zach works out, but based on where we were, I like our odds better now.

It’s uplifting that the jets can pick up a UDFA like harwig and the guy comes in and does a decent job on a patchwork OL.  He’s only 24.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I dont think its crazy either. What we thought was a very daunting schedule has actually turned out to be not that bad as teams havent looked as good as we thought.

8 wins is not some crazy ask, and it's very doable.

They should win 8 games.  I see no reason why they won't.

Barring more substantial injuries - this is a .500 team.   They'll still have some clunkers and look really good some weeks too - that's about right for a .500 team.

If they're in playoff contention late in the season - look out, because this team is only going to get better.  

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They should win 8 games.  I see no reason why they won't.

Barring more substantial injuries - this is a .500 team.   They'll still have some clunkers and look really good some weeks too - that's about right for a .500 team.

If they're in playoff contention late in the season - look out, because this team is only going to get better.  

 

I will happily eat crow if this team is in playoff contention this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I will happily eat crow if this team is in playoff contention this season.

This is how the NFL works.  Teams go from bad to good very quickly.

The Jets are very young, raw - but clearly talented - As long as they can keep stealing a few wins while they're learning - they're going to be very tough late.

Obviously, it's going to come down to Zach - but if Zach continues to progress and build off of his growth last year and last week.  This is surely a team that will be in playoff contention late in the season.

14 teams make the playoffs now - to think they'll be contention late in the season is quite reasonable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s uplifting that the jets can pick up a UDFA like harwig and the guy comes in and does a decent job on a patchwork OL.  He’s only 24.  

Eagles OL depth is ridiculous


Although initially projected to be a mid-round pick, Herbig's draft stock fell significantly after a poor performance at the NFL Scouting Combine that included a 40-yard dash time of 5.41 seconds, the slowest run of all 260 participants. He ultimately went unselected in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Philadelphia Eagles

Herbig signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent on April 28, 2019.

As a second-year player in 2020, Herbig started 12 games and played 79% of the Eagles' offensive snaps, grading out as the 13th best guard in the NFL that season by Pro Football Focus.

Last season, Herbig was again pressed into action at all the interior line positions at times, starting five games and playing 43% of the offensive snaps and still performing admirably, grading out as No. 31 of 82 by PFF.

The Eagles have impressive depth on the interior of the offensive line and added to that in the draft with second-round pick Cam Jurgens, who is predominately a center.

Rising star Landon Dickerson is expected to start at left guard next to Kelce and the other side figures to be the returning Issac Seumalo, who missed most of last season with a Lisfranc injury, trying to hold off Nick Sirianni favorite Jack Driscoll.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I find I'm not used to is we have really good backups at most positions.  It's no longer a case of "who's that?" when a guy comes in.  It's usually a case of "oh, he was a decent starter for us last year" LOL.

Seeing how MIA crumpled from losing Tua, Howard and their LT, I'm feeling okay about our ability to handle that.  In particular since we have the ultimate Swiss-Army-Knife OL who is becoming the Joe Klecko of offensive line play.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...