DR. BENNET OMALU TUA SHOULD QUIT FOOTBALL FOREVER

Barry McCockinner

I can’t imagine what it’s like to be making that kinda decision to end your career as a pro athlete and lose millions at his age. Phew. 

I can’t imagine to to be a 24 year old man with a mansion in Miami & 25 mil in the bank who had lived his dream and has to call it quits to preserve his health

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't say he couldn't, or that I feel badly for him having that level nest egg at a young age. I don't know where all that came from, but you're putting a lot of words in my mouth. 

The point was, and is, just simply that it isn't $30MM. Take his agent cut off the top, then taxes.

Making $30MM isn't equal to having $30MM. From what I hear it's not like that up in Le Canadia either. ;) 

No words in your mouth....just words coming from mine.  In Canada, you would lose roughly 16 million to tax.  Agent would get about 3-5 million.  So, my comment still stands.

That said, it may not matter.  He might choose to still play.  Although, someone will have to be willing to pay him.

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

No words in your mouth....just words coming from mine.  In Canada, you would lose roughly 16 million to tax.  Agent would get about 3-5 million.  So, my comment still stands.

That said, it may not matter.  He might choose to still play.  Although, someone will have to be willing to pay him.

Again, all I noted is he doesn't keep $30MM just because he had a contract that pays him $30MM.

Further, if he had suddenly retired this month - or even 6 months from now - because of (what sure looks like) repeated brain trauma, he wouldn't see the last ~$5MM of his fully-guaranteed contract either. Now, nobody expects that to happen, but that 4th year is not guaranteed if he formally quits early. 

Also no one's suggesting he can't live off his rookie contract money, after commissions & taxes, even if he forgoes his 4th year. The only dispute I can make out between you & @greenwave81 is whether or not he could be forced into retirement.

BTW - not that this was anything I was jumping into before - however likely or unlikely, technically he's right, if there isn't a team doctor willing to clear him to play, or if the situation arose whereby no team wanted to be the one to pay him to kill himself (e.g. if they see it that way, particularly if he sustains another concussion or two before March of 2024). In such a case, he can want to play in the NFL all he wants, but he can't force any team to offer him a contract. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. And my 2 cents buys an order of magnitude more than that in terms of content length. ;) 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, all I noted is he doesn't keep $30MM just because he had a contract that pays him $30MM.

Further, if he had suddenly retired this month - or even 6 months from now - because of (what sure looks like) repeated brain trauma, he wouldn't see the last ~$5MM of his fully-guaranteed contract either. Now, nobody expects that to happen, but that 4th year is not guaranteed if he formally quits early. 

Also no one's suggesting he can't live off his rookie contract money, after commissions & taxes, even if he forgoes his 4th year. The only dispute I can make out between you & @greenwave81 is whether or not he could be forced into retirement.

BTW - not that this was anything I was jumping into before - however likely or unlikely, technically he's right, if there isn't a team doctor willing to clear him to play, or if the situation arose whereby no team wanted to be the one to pay him to kill himself (e.g. if they see it that way, particularly if he sustains another concussion or two before March of 2024). In such a case, he can want to play in the NFL all he wants, but he can't force any team to offer him a contract. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. And my 2 cents buys an order of magnitude more than that in terms of content length. ;) 

I suspect since the NFL fired the Dr. for what looks like negligence, Tua could walk away and get a lot more than 30 million from both the dolphins and the league.  His potential earnings coupled with the potential liability and negligence could be worth a big pile of FU money.