Any word on Duane Brown's return? Thoughts on Herbig/Tomlinson..

Hoping we get some good news on Brown, although my gut tells me he might still be a week out.

When he returns, the 2 biggest questions marks will be:

1. Should we replace Tomlinson with Herbig?  The former is going to get someone killed and has been horrible against the run and pass.  Wins/losses and a 'safe pocket' for Zach are more important than his ego or the fact we gave him a big free agent contract.  Herbig held his own vs. the Steelers and was roughly an average starter for the Eagles when he filled in over the last 2 years (70 PFF grade over 1400 snaps).  This is why depth is important and where it should be used if it continues to be the same old.

2. Who plays right tackle until Fant or Mitchell return?  One of the newly signed linemen or AVT with Tomlinson & Herbig or Herbig & Feeney at guard.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I would think we'd start hearing about how much Brown can practice tomorrow.  

And no to 1.  I think it was @Rhg1084 who posted something about Tomlinson hasnt given up a sack yet.  I know everyone is down on him but this a guy that just left a division where he was blocking guys like Donald and Watt twice a year.  It's week 4, not time to hit the panic button at 2-2 w/ one of your proven veterans. 

I think 2 depends Brown's availability.  They might not have a LT available and I'd keep AVT there if that's the case and go w/ Herbig and Tomlinson at G's and unfortunately probably McDermott at RT.  If Brown is available, I'd ask AVT to play RT till someone is available.   Unless they signed someone they can kick to RT that I'm unaware of.

This exactly.  And likely the way the Jets are going to play it.

But if AVT pulls off the RT move successfully - I don't want to hear how hard it is to move for RT to LT...

When our RG moved to LT in 5 days and was good. And is likely going to be asked to move to RT.

• Sympathy 1

While this may mean we have to use at least one first day pick on OL, I think these injuries could be a long term blessing in terms of uncovering younger talent ( Mitchell), maybe dining a diamond in the rough that can stick at G or at least future depth,  and not wasting money on injury prone guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlexVanDyke said:

While this may mean we have to use at least one first day pick on OL, I think these injuries could be a long term blessing in terms of uncovering younger talent ( Mitchell), maybe dining a diamond in the rough that can stick at G or at least future depth,  and not wasting money on injury prone guys.

we only have one 1st day pick this year.

i think it all depends on Herbig. if he can play the RG position, he could be the future there. he is young too. then next year keep AVT at LT. Max at RT and we are good to go. maybe use a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for a center. use that 1st day pick on a LB or Safety.