Zach Wilson DOMINATED the Steelers in the 4th Quarter | Film Breakdown ?

jetsons

What I noticed with a lot of these throws:

1) The receivers were all open. There were a lot of plays in earlier quarters where Zach floundered simply because nobody was getting open. Not the case in the 4th quarter. I think that really helped him a lot.

2) When the pocket started to cave, on a lot of them he held his ground and threw much better.

image.png.1181f0321c6b9ca17372758c97913ed6.pngIn previous quarters he would have already been backpedaling, but instead this time he threw with confidence and poise.

• Upvote 2

He played great in the 4th Quarter.  His best span of football as a pro.  We are moving on from any question about Zach having the ability to play at the highest level to now seeing whether he can play at this level consistently, if he can minimize his mistakes, and if he can continue to truly lead the way he did on Sunday.

I still can't say if I think he's the longterm guy, but I now see exactly what JD and the Jets were so excited about.  He has the arm, he has the mobility, and he's a great fit for this offensive scheme.  Looking back at the Draft class again and it's starting to feel like these guys may have been taken in the right order.

Also, this video seems to really kill the narrative about Zach locking onto his WRs all the time.  Half those completions in the 4th quarter don't happen without his eye manipulation of defenders including some pretty good ones like Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Hope this kid can continue to raise his floor, reduce mistakes and get more consistent.  That's really the thing that needs to be done because I now firmly believe his ceiling can't get much higher.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I wanted a taste of the upside ceiling and he gave it. Now I want the full meal.

That’s perfectly fair.  It’s not going to happen immediately especially after missing a good amount of time but I like that he is learning to throw the ball away when there is nothing there unlike last year when he forced it all the time.  Like I’ve mentioned the first interception bothered me but the important thing is that he bounced back and got us the points in crunch time which is a great sign 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

His improvement doesn't have to be a straight line up IMHO. I want him to start every game this year even if he totally implodes next game or the next or the next... By the end of the year, I hope to have seen significant growth.

My main issue was that we drafted him for upside and I hadn't yet seen him take over even a portion of a game and put the team on his back. He's done that, now. Box 1 checked of like 10 lol.

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

9 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

I've consistently said I want him to start every game no matter what.

And yes, now that I've seen a flash of this high ceiling, he has passed the first gate on way to FQB. If he passes through more, my position on him will continue to evolve.

FYI -- I still believe he has a very small chance to get there.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're looking for another Box to check, you could certainly say that he's displayed a lot more mental toughness/balls/poise than Sam Darnold ever did.  Low bar to clear for sure but its something! 

There's some truth to that "He's got that dawg in him."  

Look at us being positive.  Funny how a positive result can move the needle away from negativity, eh?

And now the predictable posts are starting about how we are "walking it back." Actually, we are walking hand-in-hand with the evidence. If it goes forward, so do I.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

And now the predictable posts are starting about how we are "walking it back." Actually, we are walking hand-in-hand with the evidence. If it goes forward, so do I.

lol, you both spent a year literally trying to beat anyone over the head who even had the audacity to see lets see, calling everyone BYU apologists and supporters, and fan boys and whatever other nonsense you could spew, made countless statements like you know he is a bust, and there is no chance he is not a bust, and he doesnt have it upstairs, or between the ears, and if he doesnt show it on year 1, and weapinzzzzzzz and all the other trolling nonsense you both spewed. You were quite vocal about how good Trbuiski is and how we should have him on the roster and he is so much better than BYU.... and on and on and on...

I think you can absorb a kidding around walk it back gif. I have stated on multiple posts that nobody on either side of this debate should be claiming victory or serving up crow, one game or even a few games does not determine a young QB's future. Lets see what we have at the end of the season.  A good QB does not make a QB, as a few bad games does not break a QB. We need to see the aggregate. He now has some legitimate receiving threats, good backs and a suspect line with lots of injuries. With a year of learning, lets see if he can take advantage of it. He will surely have plenty of bad moments, hopefully the good outweigh the bad. This has been my stance from day 1, and you called me an articulate BYU apologist, lol

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

lol, you both spent a year literally trying to beat anyone over the head who even had the audacity to see lets see, calling everyone BYU apologists and supporters, and fan boys and whatever other nonsense you could spew, made countless statements like you know he is a bust, and there is no chance he is not a bust, and he doesnt have it upstairs, or between the ears, and if he doesnt show it on year 1, and weapinzzzzzzz and all the other trolling nonsense you both spewed. You were quite vocal about how good Trbuiski is and how we should have him on the roster and he is so much better than BYU.... and on and on and on...

I think you can absorb a kidding around walk it back gif. I have stated on multiple posts that nobody on either side of this debate should be claiming victory or serving up crow, one game or even a few games does not determine a young QB's future. Lets see what we have at the end of the season.  A good QB does not make a QB, as a few bad games does not break a QB. We need to see the aggregate. He now has some legitimate receiving threats, good backs and a suspect line with lots of injuries. With a year of learning, lets see if he can take advantage of it. He will surely have plenty of bad moments, hopefully the good outweigh the bad. This has been my stance from day 1, and you called me an articulate BYU apologist, lol

Does anyone else think it's ironic that I'm happier about the QB having some success than you?

Remind me who cares more about what happens on a messageboard than with the team?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

How many plays did Zach extend, and avoid a sack, with that crazy spin move? Threw it away each time, but damn he is elusive.

The play were we had to tip the ball to keep it from being a recovered fumble then dove through the air to throw it out of bounds was silly! 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Does anyone else think it's ironic that I'm happier about the QB having some success than you?

Remind me who cares more about what happens on a messageboard than with the team?

lol at the idea of you being happy at all, there is zero chance with the level of trashing and trolling you did that you are rooting for BYU, hows that for your reminder?