Zach Wilson DOMINATED the Steelers in the 4th Quarter | Film Breakdown ?

jetsons

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

lol at the idea of you being happy at all, there is zero chance with the level of trashing and trolling you did that you are rooting for BYU, hows that for your reminder?

I think I pity you greatly.

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

lol, cool, for what its worth, I pity anyone who trolls on a message board, it's really sad when a grown man does it in particular. Have a good day, make sure to look back when walking backwards, you don't want to trip and fall

Seriously, go for a walk. You need to unplug for a bit. 

Anyway let's get back to a good thread about the film breakdown. He hit 9 different receivers, 5 for >40 yards. Being able to spread the ball around is a positively-correlated metric to extrapolate a QB's potential. Let's see how he looks in coming weeks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Anyway let's get back to a good thread about the film breakdown. He hit 9 different receivers, 5 for >40 yards. Being able to spread the ball around is a positively-correlated metric to extrapolate a QB's potential. Let's see how he looks in coming weeks.

you see, now this jgb is far better than troll jgb. I agree, he wasnt locking in on one particular receiver, and did a very good job spreading the ball around, and I also agree that was promising. There were also times he was very clearly going through his progressions. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're looking for another Box to check, you could certainly say that he's displayed a lot more mental toughness/balls/poise than Sam Darnold ever did.  Low bar to clear for sure but its something! 

There's some truth to that "He's got that dawg in him."  

Look at us being positive.  Funny how a positive result can move the needle away from negativity, eh?

image.png.f3642d9fd2602e116290697a5ff70c9d.png

As my SamDarrrrr, gently weeps

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I've never been more wrong on a player than Sam. 

Can't believe how badly his career has gone, thus far

I wanted us to take Rosen, and wanted no part of Josh Allen.  Those were college projections though, so I plead ignorance, mostly.  Don't watch college.  Lesson on Allen is that if you're going to take a swing on a guy with terrible metrics, make it on someone with mega upside.

As for Darnold, I was happy we got him, but him standing there, with his thumb up his ass, while Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield were all slinging the ball at the combine - that scared me about him.  He just didn't look like a competitor in that moment.  Good advice from his agent, as his arm was the least impressive of the four, but if I'm standing there with those guys, I don't know how I'm not joining in, unless I absolutely don't believe in myself.  Was down on him pretty quickly as a pro.  And, I think it became pretty obvious he was riding high off of one incredible, nationally televised game.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I've never been more wrong on a player than Sam. 

Can't believe how badly his career has gone, thus far

I was also wrong on Sam. Really thought we lucked into a good one. C'est la vie.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least he duped Matt Rhule into handing him $19M this year for no good reason.  

Lamar Jackson is getting $4M more this year than Sam Darnold....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I wanted us to take Rosen, and wanted no part of Josh Allen.  Those were college projections though, so I plead ignorance, mostly.  Don't watch college.  Lesson on Allen is that if you're going to take a swing on a guy with terrible metrics, make it on someone with mega upside.

As for Darnold, I was happy we got him, but him standing there, with his thumb up his ass, while Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield were all slinging the ball at the combine - that scared me about him.  He just didn't look like a competitor in that moment.  Good advice from his agent, as his arm was the least impressive of the four, but if I'm standing there with those guys, I don't know how I'm not joining in, unless I absolutely don't believe in myself.  Was down on him pretty quickly as a pro.  And, I think it became pretty obvious he was riding high off of one incredible, nationally televised game.

Projecting college QB play to the pros remains the most difficult thing to scout in sport. There is so much more to the position than the physical talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Projecting college QB play to the pros remains the most difficult thing to scout in sport. There is so much more to the position than the physical talent.

It makes sense.

I'd imagine in general, competition of the top QBs is so rarely an even playing field.  And, coaches are trying to win games, not showcase NFL talent.  Why would you call a 15-yard-out for your QB when you've got a guy who can get open 35-yards down the field.  These guys are rarely in NFL conditions.  It's my biggest concern with Wilson.  He clearly has the physical talent, but he wasn't in NFL conditions and now that he is, he's often looked completely lost.

With Darnold, it was also clear that he wasn't a QB pretty quickly.  Couldn't see the field.  Couldn't read a defense.  He excelled, and frankly, scored himself a huge payday, but making his way to USC and being athletic enough to win football games with far superior talent.  Didn't hurt that his best performance came under the brightest lights.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

It makes sense.

I'd imagine in general, competition of the top QBs is so rarely an even playing field.  And, coaches are trying to win games, not showcase NFL talent.  Why would you call a 15-yard-out for your QB when you've got a guy who can get open 35-yards down the field.  These guys are rarely in NFL conditions.  It's my biggest concern with Wilson.  He clearly has the physical talent, but he wasn't in NFL conditions and now that he is, he's often looked completely lost.

With Darnold, it was also clear that he wasn't a QB pretty quickly.  Couldn't see the field.  Couldn't read a defense.  He excelled, and frankly, scored himself a huge payday, but making his way to USC and being athletic enough to win football games with far superior talent.  Didn't hurt that his best performance came under the brightest lights.

If you could develop a personality test to extrapolate a QB's mental makeup to succeed in the NFL, you'd earn generational wealth.

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

If you could develop a personality test to extrapolate a QB's mental makeup to succeed in the NFL, you'd earn generational wealth.

I wonder if there's a way to distill things down and just explore "NFL plays."  I'd be interested in throws in tight windows, progressions, and reactions to pressure.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I wonder if there's a way to distill things down and just explore "NFL plays."  I'd be interested in throws in tight windows, progressions, and reactions to pressure.

Virtual reality is the future of QB evals. No more white board, strap on these goggles and SHOW US.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I've consistently said I want him to start every game no matter what.

And yes, now that I've seen a flash of this high ceiling, he has passed the first gate on way to FQB. If he passes through more, my position on him will continue to evolve.

FYI -- I still believe he has a very small chance to get there.

The Creation Of Adam Handshake GIF

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Nah man, just give them an IQ test with a funny name and dock their draft grade and intelligence if they can't calculate their yearly taxes in 10 seconds. That shows real QB skillz. 

On the real though, they need to move away from wonderlic being a thing and work to develop better methods for football testing. I'm sure analytics and tech are getting there soon enough.

• Upvote 1