We're a top 10 defense

PorP

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Did you hear that playoffs will be determined by point differential? 

The only time this defense has looked good is when we played the Steelers who started Mitch Trubiski and then put Pickett into his first NFL game.

I don't know what you're getting at with point differential but this is what dvoa is

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

3.7 ypc vs. the run is good for the 6th in the NFL too.  Cant put my finger on it but it must have been that charmin camp Saleh ran this offseason. 

Yup Saleh has made it and the defense and  has been lights out to begin the season, shame people were ever critical of Saleh. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PorP said:

Start wise that's false.  Best defensive game of the year so far was game 1.

Just in the run piece the Jets kept the rush and lamar to 60-sum yards.   The Ravens as of week 4 are averaging over 140ypg on the ground for context. 

The Jets looked good for the first half then the Ravens adjusted and did whatever they wanted.

I don't believe the Jets are a top 10 defense right now. I hope they become one. I would be lying if I said I wasn't having nightmares of Teddy Bridgewater looking like Dan Marino Sunday. I mean, they played by far their best game of the year on Sunday and gave up 24 to an offense led by Trubisky and first NFL game Pickett.

• Upvote 1

JD/Saleh have done a few things better/right here.  Even when you take out the Steelers they were not the worst defense in the NFL.

Reed, Sauce, Alexander, JJ2 have been big helps, as has QW playing for a contract.  I would set QW up for the Franchise Tag and then let him hit the market.  

But I think at a minimum we have to see where we are in 6-8 weeks, if not the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’ll take it, but they’ve played a few bottom QBs. Another one this week. They just need to keep getting better. 

Meh, Lamar and Burrow are pretty good.  I think it's probably pretty normal to face a few stinkers mixed w/ some of the elite.  Just look at the state of QB'ing in the NFL.  It's a weird year, lots of really bad QB's are starting.  Geno Smith is the most efficient QB in the NFL 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The only time this defense has looked good is when we played the Steelers who started Mitch Trubiski and then put Pickett into his first NFL game.

I don't know what you're getting at with point differential but this is what dvoa is

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

You should start a thread titled “we’re the 25th worst in DVOA”

You and @Jetsfan80 could have a blast going back and forth with overall D vs DVOA.  ?

Seriously, one day at a time, one improvement at a time.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, Lamar and Burrow are pretty good.  I think it's probably pretty normal to face a few stinkers mixed w/ some of the elite.  Just look at the state of QB'ing in the NFL.  It's a weird year, lots of really bad QB's are starting.  Geno Smith is the most efficient QB in the NFL 

Go Geno!

Rodgers and Brady are both playing like mere mortals so far. Also, the farther along the Brady/Gisele breakup go’s the longer Brady will be keeping his hands under center. 

First time in a long time I’m excited to see another team WR line up against one or not both of our corners. So far Sauce is more spice than slouch. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets looked good for the first half then the Ravens adjusted and did whatever they wanted.

I don't believe the Jets are a top 10 defense right now. I hope they become one. I would be lying if I said I wasn't having nightmares of Teddy Bridgewater looking like Dan Marino Sunday. I mean, they played by far their best game of the year on Sunday and gave up 24 to an offense led by Trubisky and first NFL game Pickett.

I thought 20 points. 7 points on a 4 yard drive and 6 points on a 59 and 51 yd field goals. Only 1 legit td drive given up. That’s pretty good. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Go Geno!

Rodgers and Brady are both playing like mere mortals so far. Also, the farther along the Brady/Gisele breakup go’s the longer Brady will be keeping his hands under center. 

First time in a long time I’m excited to see another team WR line up against one or not both of our corners. So far Sauce is more spice than slouch. 

Yeah, the state of QB'ing is crazy right now.  The studs are like, freaky studs the league hasnt seen before and then half the league is starting a turd, a stop gap or a back up.  Wild.

Very excited to see this match up but I have a feel we see a lot of the cover 3 this week w/ less man, so I'm not sure how much we'll get to see of the dope match up potentials but we'll see.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Ranked after week 4, we are 10th!!!

And we're ranked 5th in Int's

It feels strange to be doing decent for a change. 

Ranked 18th in point allowed/8th in yards allowed.

Ranked 25th in points scored/10th in yards gained.

So technically, we're both a top 10 Offense and top 10 Defense, at least in Yards gained/allowed, as of this moment.

That, that is pretty cool.

Be good if they work on the scoring points/stopping other teams from scoring points aspect too, but sitting at 2-2, I'll take it.

Definitely better than 2021's final ranks.  So lets hope they can keep it up!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

43 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm hearing the playoff selection committee is going DVOA this year.

I’m trying to get how DVOA is so important in ranking a D.  Because if we scored more points on offense our D would somehow be better?  

• Upvote 1