We're a top 10 defense

PorP

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Around this time a week ago people wanted Ulbrich fired and were saying this is the worst/one of the worst defenses in the league.  The bipolar nature of some of you is absolutely insane.

The criticism a week ago was over the top.  The team is now 2-2 and a better team than we’ve seen in years.  At least we’re watching competitive games where we should be entertained.  Something that couldnt be said for years. 3 

• Upvote 1

We’ve played 3 of the better offenses in the league:  Cincy, Baltimore, and the Browns.

2 top 5 QBs in the league.

The Browns with a fantastic OL & RBs.

Even Pittsburgh has a number of talented offensive playmakers at WR, RB and TE.  

As Jets fans, we should never apologize for playing a couple backup QBs.  We’ve been marginalized for years (in part) due to bad luck and bad injuries to some of our best players. It’s been at least 5 years running we’ve lost our starting QB for a meaningful number of games.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The only time this defense has looked good is when we played the Steelers who started Mitch Trubiski and then put Pickett into his first NFL game.

I don't know what you're getting at with point differential but this is what dvoa is

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

You must be pretty happy to find an obscure stat that proves we suck.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We’ve played 3 of the better offenses in the league:  Cincy, Baltimore, and the Browns.

2 top 5 QBs in the league.

The Browns with a fantastic OL & RBs.

Even Pittsburgh has a number of talented offensive playmakers at WR, RB and TE.  

As Jets fans, we should never apologize for playing a couple backup QBs.  We’ve been marginalized for years (in part) due to bad luck and bad injuries to some of our best players. It’s been at least 5 years running we’ve lost our starting QB for a meaningful number of games.

We haven't had the same QB play all 16 (or 17) games in a season since Fitz in 2015. Just incredibly bad luck. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The criticism a week ago was over the top.  The team is now 2-2 and a better team than we’ve seen in years.  At least we’re watching competitive games where we should be entertained.  Something that couldnt be said for years. 3 

I agree that the team is better than we've seen in years and Sunday is fun again.

But I mean, the criticism last week was kinda spot on - of Ulbrich. Burrow and the Bengals were having trouble against two-high safety looks and we deployed one-high most of the game. Against their suspect offensive line, we did not get to Burrow enough.

• I feel like, despite his flaws, Saleh has done well with clock management and building a mentality that can achieve two comeback road victories.
  • Lafleur had to operate with QB2 and OT's # 3,4, now 4 & 5. He's got some built-in excuses.

For those two, I see good and bad.

• But Ulbrich? Everyone is healthy and your two corners are playing lights-out. I would've thought we'd be playing better on D than this. 25th in DVOA is not good enough. Get me to 16-ish and we can reconsider, but right now I'd prefer to have a new D coordinator next year.

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

Teddy tore us apart in Denver last year.

I don’t know what’s gonna happen. Teddy is definitely at the high end of backups around the league. Still rather face him than their starter. Half the DL and the entire starting secondary didn’t face Teddy last year. There’s been a lot of turnover here on that side of the ball. I expect them to get better. Be a problem if they don’t. 

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I mean I'll gladly take the W's but suggesting we're a top 10 D is a bridge too far.  It can't require an opponent QB injury for the defense to have a reasonably good day.  

Teddy Bridgewater is the best backup in the league so this week will prove to be a decent litmus test I imagine.

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree that the team is better than we've seen in years and Sunday is fun again.

But I mean, the criticism last week was kinda spot on - of Ulbrich. Burrow and the Bengals were having trouble against two-high safety looks and we deployed one-high most of the game. Against their suspect offensive line, we did not get to Burrow enough.

• I feel like, despite his flaws, Saleh has done well with clock management and building a mentality that can achieve two comeback road victories.
  • Lafleur had to operate with QB2 and OT's # 3,4, now 4 & 5. He's got some built-in excuses.

For those two, I see good and bad.

• But Ulbrich? Everyone is healthy and your two corners are playing lights-out. I would've thought we'd be playing better on D than this. 25th in DVOA is not good enough. Get me to 16-ish and we can reconsider, but right now I'd prefer to have a new D coordinator next year.

The criticism was over the top.  And the 180* spin makes it more apparent.  Does the D have to play better?  Yes but the complaints were over the top.  It’s been down after Baltimore, cheers after Cleveland, fire everyone after Cincinnati now the Steeler reaction

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The criticism was over the top.  And the 180* spin makes it more apparent.  Does the D have to play better?  Yes but the complaints were over the top.  It’s been down after Baltimore, cheers after Cleveland, fire everyone after Cincinnati now the Steeler reaction

For that vast majority of four games, we were losing. 

I think there's a fair amount of whiplash for a lot of us after looking like sh*t for 3 quarters and then pulling out a W in the 4th twice now. 

If DVOA isn't your cup of tea, these numbers also demonstrate we should maybe pump the brakes on the "top 10" deal and just be OK to settle for maybe top 20-ish at the moment:

• Overall Yards per play allowed:  5.4 (t-14th)
  • QB Rating against:  88.3 (16th)
  • Completion % allowed:  66.4 (20th)
  • Yards per Pass Attempt allowed:  7.7 (25th)
  • Sacks:  8 (t-18th)
  • Sack %:  6.3 (14th)
  • Rushing TDs allowed:  5 (t-25th)
  • 1st downs allowed:  82 (22nd)
  • 3rd down conversion % allowed:  51 % (31st)
  • Score % (Drive % resulting in a score):  38.3 % (19th)

Still far better than I thought we'd be thru 4 weeks (especially the Run D - 3.7 YPC is insane given the offenses/RBs we've faced to date) but definitely not a top 10 unit.  And that's OK.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If DVOA isn't your cup of tea, these numbers also demonstrate we should maybe pump the brakes on the "top 10" deal and just be OK to settle for maybe top 20-ish at the moment:

• Overall Yards per play allowed:  5.4 (t-14th)
  • QB Rating against:  88.3 (16th)
  • Completion % allowed:  66.4 (20th)
  • Yards per Pass Attempt allowed:  7.7 (25th)
  • Sacks:  8 (t-18th)
  • Sack %:  6.3 (14th)
  • Rushing TDs allowed:  5 (t-25th)
  • 1st downs allowed:  82 (22nd)
  • 3rd down conversion % allowed:  51 % (31st)
  • Score % (Drive % resulting in a score):  38.3 % (19th)

Still far better than I thought we'd be thru 4 weeks (especially the Run D - 3.7 YPC is insane given the offenses/RBs we've faced to date) but definitely not a top 10 unit.  And that's OK.  

Yea I think after last year, the goal is middle of the pack

No longer being an embarrassment is the first step this organization needs to take

• Upvote 3

The Jets D simply needs to improve on 3rd down and cut out the stupid penalties. No, they're not going to shut anybody down completely, but they do play well enough to give our offense enough TOP and scoring opportunities to win games. Sooner or later opposing QB's are going to test Sauce and hopefully he makes them pay often with a pick 6. 

22 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Imagine Saleh said this? Oof. Maybe they ran a soft camp too.

Unlike Saleh, Campbell's background before getting the HC job in Detroit was on the offensive side of the ball.  And the Detroit offense is balling out right now.  He's kind of allowed to say this...