Miami secondary banged up

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This deep into the season, yes.  We were 1-0 in 2018....then promptly lost 3 straight.  

The 2015 Jets started that season 4-1.  

"This deep in the season" is such a sad, sad thing to have to qualify when you're headed into week 5.

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

"This deep in the season" is such a sad, sad thing to have to qualify when you're headed into week 5.

Indeed.  Given that the season has basically been over in September each of the prior 6 years, October does feel pretty deep into the season for Jets fans.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One other interesting note today:

Receiver Jaylen Waddle (groin), offensive tackle Terron Armstead (toe), and cornerback Xavien Howard (groin) were among the players who didn’t practice.

If Waddle can't go, then we should be able to smother Hill with Sauce and a Safety as needed.  

And if Waddle CAN go, then Sauce will just figure out a way smother both of them at the same time anyhow.  

One other interesting note today:
Receiver Jaylen Waddle (groin), offensive tackle Terron Armstead (toe), and cornerback Xavien Howard (groin) were among the players who didn’t practice.
If Waddle can't go, then we should be able to smother Hill with Sauce and a Safety as needed.  

I see what you did there….

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Dolphins lean on their offense. Their D is suspect. Shoot out with Teddy? 

I was gonna say, I haven't really watched their games but they seem mostly high scoring. Is there defense good? I believe Miami is scoring at least 21 points against us for sure so again this game comes down to our offense vs their defense. 

Also a big test for a new HC coming off of a bye week with a backup QB in NJ. Some coaches come out great after a bye and some do not. I hope McDaniels is the latter. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop man...wasn't' fully extended...jumped for no reason.  No reason at all he shouldn't catch that.  None..6:20 in that video - watch it.  That ball has to be caught.  Could have been a better throw, surely.  But that's a no brainer. He didn't have too much juice on it.  Conklin's gotta figure this out or start sitting.   Get CJ or Ruckert in there.  As good as he's been, he's probably been a net negative for this team right now.

Again, not saying Zach couldn't have thrown a better ball - but this was on Conklin.

Yes, I have watched it many times.  Ball hits his hands above his head while he is airborne.  Imo he did need to jump, but not gonna argue how a receiver should or shouldn’t adjust for a ball.  Conklin should have caught it, already said it.  Zach should throw it lower.  Glad we agree.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

I need more than 50% completion and a positive turnover ratio to feel good about it because over significant sample size that's going to lose a whole lot more games than it wins. This is what I mean by bigger picture. But that's for another day. This week I'm happy he took a step. Next week, is next week.

4th Qtr, where potential Franchise QB's either sink or swim, Wilson competed about 90% of his passes, threw for close to 150 yards and put up I think close to Perfect QBR of 138, in one of the most hostile environments for visiting teams in all of sports, he was actually very calm and cool, a total total turnaround from the Zach Wilson who came into the league last year as a rookie, running backwards, what appeared to be being totally amped on adrenaline with his head swimming, trying to win games all by himself surrounded by one of the bottom feeding O units in the league in 2021......these are Gigantic steps he appears to have already made in his development.  People should see that now...clearly.

You could call what I just did "cherry picking" stats and you might be right, but just look at some of those throws he hit in "do or die" moments in the 4th...3rd down...4th down.....those throws ripped in where No defender ever had a chance to make any play on any ball, could be made by Only a Few People on this Planet.

He can become a very special talent in this league, and it seems like that's what he wants to be.

• Upvote 1

This game is all about exploiting matchups, especially in the secondary.  I personally would rather have Howard play in a limited capacity because Tee Higgins was destroying him all game on Thursday and if LaFleur can get him matched up with GW  and Moore, then we have the opportunity for some explosive plays. 

Defensively this will be a difficult matchup from a schematic sense.  McDaniels (like LaFleur) loves to use the middle of the field and is a coach that attacks weaknesses and our LBs inability to cover is a huge weakness.  If Ulbrich is smart (he isnt) he will change up what we do defensively and try to bait Teddy into some difficult passes into traffic.  Normally we can rely on Reed and Sauce to completely shut down at least one WR, but this is too difficult with these 2 burners.  We need to get as much speed onto the field as possible by playing an extra DB...which brings me to our biggest matchup advantage.

Our defensive line should have a bid day on Sunday, especially QW.  QW is playing like the elite player we hoped he would and he has a huge advantage over Liam Eichenberg at LG.  Lawson and Armstead will be a draw but we will have a big advantage at LDE with JJ on run downs and Huff on passing downs. I really hope Saleh and Ulbrich start to realize how well JJ is playing and give him 40+ snaps on first and second down.  We do not need him on passing downs as Huff creates enough of a mismatch against Greg Little that we dont necessarily need JJ on a ton of passing downs.

This is NOT the game to keep the DL rotation as it has been, its time to give both JJ and Clemons more snaps in the run game and Huff more in the passing game.

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I don't think I'm killing him.  He did a lot of things well, some things that he did last year bad.  He had a near perfect 4th quarter and I've commended him several times.

The issue is that I say "His throw to Conklin was too high and had zero touch, which helped contribute to the interception" and people just cannot handle that.

You constantly bag on him. Many of your comments make no analytical sense or rational sense.  Don't act like you say one comment here and there. You have some absolutely unrealistic takes. Then you come back and act like "what did I say," or "I only pointed out a stat," or "I only pointed out one thing," etc.  Own it. Don't play stupid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Yes, I have watched it many times.  Ball hits his hands above his head while he is airborne.  Imo he did need to jump, but not gonna argue how a receiver should or shouldn’t adjust for a ball.  Conklin should have caught it, already said it.  Zach should throw it lower.  Glad we agree.

Tell us what else Zach should have done.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

4th Qtr, where potential Franchise QB's either sink or swim, Wilson competed about 90% of his passes, threw for close to 150 yards and put up I think close to Perfect QBR of 138, in one of the most hostile environments for visiting teams in all of sports, he was actually very calm and cool, a total total turnaround from the Zach Wilson who came into the league last year as a rookie, running backwards, what appeared to be being totally amped on adrenaline with his head swimming, trying to win games all by himself surrounded by one of the bottom feeding O units in the league in 2021......these are Gigantic steps he appears to have already made in his development.  People should see that now...clearly.

You could call what I just did "cherry picking" stats and you might be right, but just look at some of those throws he hit in "do or die" moments in the 4th...3rd down...4th down.....those throws ripped in where No defender ever had a chance to make any play on any ball, could be made by Only a Few People on this Planet.

He can become a very special talent in this league, and it seems like that's what he wants to be.

I don’t believe in deleting data points to say “well in this part of the game…”

Nevertheless, like I said, as a step forward, I’ll take it but obviously need further progress.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

People don’t seem to understand, Zach is partially responsible for putting us in the position of needing a comeback. He doesn’t toss that  horrible int and we’re going into the half 17 or 13 to 3 with the ball to start the 2nd half.

As good as he was in the 4th quarter, he helped screw things up to put us down 10 in the final quarter.  That needs to change.

Not even gonna mention the high throw Conklin int either.

What people are you speaking of?  That may be a revelation to you, but not to most other astute fans in this forum.  Maybe they didn't feel the need to talk about it, because they were excited about what he did right, and preferred to talk about his success instead.  Imagine that.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ZachEY said:

If you were going to write a recipe for a Classic Same Old Jets Debacle, how different would it look from:

- Home game against division rival

- Team and especially, young QB coming off a strong 4th Q comeback win.

- Division Rival's starting QB out with a concussion.

- Division Rival's secondary banged up.

Not saying the debacle is coming, but seriously, how would you script a SOJ letdown any better?

20 hours ago, The Crusher said:

100% happening. I’m convince the only reason they win games is to set these games up so they can lose miserably and the Universe screams,”Got ya, too easy, haha!” 

20 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Hahaha - 

Almost forgot a couple.

- Chance for the first winning record since 2015 (not sure if that's accurate, but feels right).

- Division Rival's QB was briefly on our roster.

Yeah, 10% of me says to stop thinking negative thoughts and that is a loser mentality.   90% of me says I have seen this script play out way too many times where the Jets get blown out.  Also, seeing way too many positive vibes from the media this week on Zach and the Jets.  

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Yeah, 10% of me says to stop thinking negative thoughts and that is a loser mentality.   90% of me says I have seen this script play out way too many times where the Jets get blown out.  Also, seeing way too many positive vibes from the media this week on Zach and the Jets.  

Yep positivity for Jet fans is basically locust swarms and frogs falling out of the sky. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Same. 

The Jets have always struggled to handle prosperity and being media darlings. Historically, this is a game the Jets usually lose. Hoping things are different this week. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, BP said:

We will prioritize running the ball lol you know it’s gonna happen. 

Interestingly, the Steelers had a bottom five rush defense going into last week's game.  Their gameplan was to dare Zach to throw the ball to beat them.  They stopped the running game and eventually Zach took advantage.  Will the Phins do the same thing?  Will Zach be able to exploit what may be a banged up secondary?  We'll see.

23 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As I get older it's becoming hilarious how much age makes it difficult to keep up with sports. My first thought when I saw the thread title was yeah but they still have Zack Thomas and Surtain and those guys are really good.

I hear ya. But hopefully Sauce and DJ Reed can shut down the smurfs. We'll see!