NFL Rookie Rankings at Q1 (2022)

Barry McCockinner

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If you made our draft class into a mock draft it would have been shot down for being too unrealistic.

This has the potential to be the best draft we've ever had. Heck if you consider Breece and Elijah Moore 1st round talents then we have added 7 first rounders the last 2 years.

Zach Wilson - Jury still out but talent is certainly there

AVT - looks like an all pro

Elijah Moore - electric Route runner

Sauce Gardner - already looks like a top CB

Garrett Wilson - looks like a #1 WR

Jermaine Johnson - well rounded DE who already has multiple sacks

Breece Hall - looks like he'll be a Bell Cow

And yet we're still 3.5 underdogs at home against Miami (with their backup QB in) this week - lol.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And yet we're still 3.5 underdogs at home against Miami (with their backup QB in) this week - lol.  

True. But a great draft isn't going to fix the team in 4 weeks. This team may not be there yet (or make it at all); the coaching staff still has much to prove. ZW is still a big question mark. But, none of that takes away from a clearly great draft.

14 hours ago, jgb said:

So can we agree now that “you can only evaluate a player after three years” is an excuse for garbage play?

I wouldn't agree with that. There are some players who just jump out as having great potential from the start - our top 3 have that. There are players who jump out instantly as busts like the Ghost. These two groups are at the opposite ends of the bell curve. Most players may show some promise and/or struggle adapting to the NFL - these players can truly take 3 years to develop. Even some of the most promising may not have the durability or consistency to be truly good.

I think it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft. It doesn't mean that we can't get excited about those rookies that jump out early. It is even more exciting when there are 4; 3 in the top 10. Here is hoping for a great year from them and more good drafts to come.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is foundation building!  Add in Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter II from last year and you have an exciting core built thru the draft.  Plus Clemons & Mitchell (both of whom I have starting next year).  Plus some quality depth in Echols and hopefully Sherwood & Ruckert.

Top end talent at premium positions, a potential franchise QB, and some hidden gems.  Take a 4th rounder like Clemons …. who has a realistic shot of replacing Lawson next year, saving us $15M in cap space to fill a position of greater need.  That’s how you build teams.

AVT & Garrett Wilson do NOT happen without trading Jamal Adams, for all those who complain about wins and losses earlier on.

Zach Wilson’s tantalizing upside, for all his warts and remaining question marks, doesn’t happen without cleaning house.  Instead, we are talking Fields, Lance or game manager Mac Jones.

Breece Hall & Max Mitchell do NOT happen without trading Sam Darnold.

Exciting times ahead, as long as the coaches prove competent which quite frankly is my biggest question mark.  I write this believing Zach will be AT LEAST an average starting QB with flashes of greatness that will outshine some head scratching throws in the dirt.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

True. But a great draft isn't going to fix the team in 4 weeks. This team may not be there yet (or make it at all); the coaching staff still has much to prove. ZW is still a big question mark. But, none of that takes away from a clearly great draft.

I think it was a great draft too.  I just was making a little "dark side" humor.

• Haha 1